Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bases Reloaded  (Read 30774 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 12:53:18 AM »

Maybe are the "bases" to be too small?

I agree, by the way the bases are on two "floors" and this maybe a good choice....

....don't know, remaining on "bases" theme, the map can be leaved as it is, but with a set of textures that give it a better impression... just to give a theme at the map.

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

I also played the map. I thought it was great!
I think you should be careful making further changes because the map plays good as it is. You should focus on fixing the nodrop, trigger_hurt thing.

I do have a few additional comments.

I don't think the teleporters in the middle are a problem. It is the bases that are important. I believe that the teleporter to the flag could be replaced with a jump pad. Here:

(Also the darkness under the flags are very annoying because you run into something)

There are some corners around the flag with framerate dependent jumps. This is generally a bad thing.

I would raise the structure to the top of the level or at least double it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »

I also played the map. I thought it was great!
I think you should be careful making further changes because the map plays good as it is. You should focus on fixing the nodrop, trigger_hurt thing.

Thanks for your feedback Sago, the trigger_hurt is removed and the slime brush is also fixed that it works as wanted. Smiley
Also after a long try and fail I know now how to use the nodrop in the proper way  punched (hope I can use that knowledge to help another nooob like me  topsy )

Also was take in account to change the map at some points so I want to finalize that before I post a new version.
Don't be affraid, I save a lot different version of the map when I make huge changes, so if it will not support the gameplay or screw up whole map I can easy change it ...  ccool

I do have a few additional comments.

I don't think the teleporters in the middle are a problem. It is the bases that are important. I believe that the teleporter to the flag could be replaced with a jump pad. Here:

'mkay thats sound also nice, will think regarding that. Actually I was happy by the teleporter solution, well we will see I will try it out.

(Also the darkness under the flags are very annoying because you run into something)

Allready fixed ... but don't want to spam to much different version of the map Wink

There are some corners around the flag with framerate dependent jumps. This is generally a bad thing.

I would raise the structure to the top of the level or at least double it.

Sad ... was not aware that jumps are depending on frame rate  Shocked  ... I like to jump therefore I have put in these possibilities, as shown in the video map presentation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:32:55 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

I'd not worry about the hydrophobia of arena players btw.  The point of the water in my maps are for sacrificing mobility for covertness. My maps weren't "designed" for hoppers only
The waters aren't that big of an issue. I think its a good place to hide the powerups for example. Its just that the waters are usually deep and sometimes a waste of space.. Such as oa_bases7 and the deep waters and 4 entrances to the bases. Theres nothing there for someone to gain and if there was.. You would probably end up dead before reaching the surface again.

I believe there should be something to the water than it just being.. H20
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:24:31 PM by DILZNIK » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »

I'd not worry about the hydrophobia of arena players btw.  The point of the water in my maps are for sacrificing mobility for covertness. My maps weren't "designed" for hoppers only
The waters aren't that big of an issue. I think its a good place to hide the powerups for example. Its just that the waters are usually deep and sometimes a waste of space.. Such as oa_bases7 and the deep waters and 4 entrances to the bases. Theres nothing there for someone to gain and if there was.. You would probably end up dead before reaching the surface again.

I believe there should be something to the water than it just being.. H20
Agreed. That's what I've done when I put my hands on trying to solve hydronex's problems. The pools now house a powerful item (the Quad Damage) but you must risk your life in order to get it (i.e. being drowned or discovered by other players and getting gunned underwater).

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »

Took the map for a ride. (heh)

The bots sink in those slime pits every time they escape with the flag. If you don't want to mess much with the map, place botdonotenter brushes on those slime pits in order to force them to take the lateral paths and other exits.

Also, the flag sinks on those pits but don't return to their bases. Place nodrop brushes at the bottom of those lava/slime lakes so the flags automatically return to their bases.

Considering that your map has a central area, what about adding support for the other CTF-based gamemodes? (One Flag CTF, Harvester, Overload, CTF Elimination and Double Domination)

The map is shaping uo to be pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:58:27 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Took the map for a ride. (heh)

The bots sink in those slime pits every time they escape with the flag. If you don't want to mess much with the map, place botdonotenter brushes on those slime pits in order to force them to take the lateral paths and other exits.

Also, the flag sinks on those pits but don't return to their bases. Place nodrop brushes at the bottom of those lava/slime lakes so the flags automatically return to their bases.

Considering that your map has a central area, what about adding support for the other CTF-based gamemodes? (One Flag CTF, Harvester, Overload, CTF Elimination and Double Domination)

The map is shaping uo to be pretty good.

Nice, thanks Neon_Knight.
I have fixed actually some of the issues like the flag returning by sinking in the pits. My goal was to make another alternative path, but I was running out of time by my job and personal project.
I will stress my self soon to make progress. Sorry by all for being away for so long time.  Smiley   
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »

If you need me to do something with your map, tell me. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: