Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Akomctf5  (Read 31539 times)
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:25 PM »

P.S.: Sorry carca55gr1nd3r, after a lot of work i have read your suggestion and i dont want to erase and rebuild all the job i've do...

NP Smiley your solution brings the same effect to turn the map into a 8-layout. Good job btw.  Grin
Also nice brushwork on bridges ends

One more comment from my side, some parts of the map seams to me oversize. especially the hallways between the bases.
Also the way between the bases seams too far away to me.

Not sure if is just me but would be good to ask some more players/testers regarding that point.
Sorry for saying, I know to fix that would be a pain in the ass.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:22:28 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »

About compiling times, are you sure you are using multithreading?
Q3Radiant (at least version 202, IIRC) had this strange thing that the option for "final" compiling had "-threads 1" option, hence slowing down compiling on multicore systems... manually editing a file with a text editor was required to fix.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multithreaded_map_compiling

I dont know what to tell you, all my 4 core were at 100% of full usage, in FULLVIS mode.

In FASTVIS mode it take about 7 minutes.

Wink

If they all were 100%, I can guess you are using multithreading. In case, you can check baseq3/scripts/quake.qe4 with a text editor to be sure.

Then, I fear that for making compile faster, you may have to mark some brushes as "detail"... but this has the drawback to make less vis optimization... it should be done only for brushes which do not touch the outer "void" and that are not part of the walls of the rooms... I'm not an expert. In this map, I can think to a bridge and pillar in one base and battlements on the other one...

I haven't tried new version yet.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »

Took a quick look to the new version from cell phone. Uhm... I will test from PC next week.
Maybe tunnels seem a bit too big and empty. I mean, also if there are many brushes at the sides, your path seems a bit empty. Maybe from PC I will be able to strafejump properly and will enjoy such part more. Otherwise, not sure about what to do to improve fun. Note: I tried without bots... maybe that's just that my problem: I was totally alone!

Also, maybe in one base from a plasma spawn point it is possible to defend both entrances too easily?

Gig from cell phone.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:08:40 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »

.....i notice that i have to edit the map.
In fact, i'm not sure about a couple of things.....
......maybe tomorrow (italian time) i can give you another version to test.

@Gig: if you want to test both the versions, you can save the PK3 in another folder.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »

Tried with bots now, still from phone.
Plays better than I thought, although I still fear the railgun (which currently spawns in one base only) may be overpowered in these tunnels.

Not sure about the position of yellow armor in blue base... a bit difficult to take from phone, probably will be ok from pc...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

I'm sorry but today i'm not able to give you another version of the map.

I'm doing some changes and i think tomorrow (italian time) i can give you another test-map.

I have to place another railgun end some other items.......

.....please, wait.....

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »

I can't imagine why it would take 2 hours. q3map2 should be more optimized to compile with. It takes my PC 2 hours to compile all of the stock OA maps with -dirty lighting, light bounces, vis and etc with q3map2*

* - i did it for visual consistency testing, finding new common compile options for a better look lower specs could still work with

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »

Or maybe you may completely remove railgun...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley

Here is the last version of the map:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/gus5h66w6v6ttkdxsgkv66q2we945wno

I don't know what to tell, but i have many ideas in the same time and i leaved one section similar to the old one, and remaked the other section qith another type of brushwork.

I hope you can enjoy this beta-release and please tell me whatever you think must be changed.

Updates:

- inserted the original .map file in the PK3 (so you can see)
- removed the railgun
- added a stair to take the yellow armor

Know bugs:

- Some lights need to be fixed (again)
- Bots don't use the new passage

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »

Perhaps it may not be necessary to remove the railgun at all. Perhaps placing some kind of covers which obstruct the view of railpursuers? Perhaps bifurcating the passages in "8" or "0" shapes may work? Remember that, even with the Railgun out, there's still Instagib.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »

Tried... nice, however I feel the lack of some more items (health and weapons) in one of the two main passages and in the central link passage.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »

Finally tried on PC.

Strafejumping properly, the map is much more enjoyable.  Smiley Of course, this gives humans an advantage over bots, who do not stafejump... but the same applies to many maps, I can guess.

About balancing, it looks like the red base is lacking a shotgun, right?
Also, I hope the bigger size of blue base compensates the fact there are more weapon spawn points... however are you sure about having red armor in one base and yellow armor in the other one?

Bots do tend to use the shorter path only... maybe placing some other interesting items in the other tunnel and in the central passage could be good.

Also, placing some more red and blue stuff inside the two bases may be nice.

A small note, in the place of the screenshot attached, a small lighting fix may be nice.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »

Unfortunately i'm busy at the moment, maybe this week i can do something.

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »

Unfortunately i'm busy at the moment, maybe this week i can do something.

Wink

Nevermind Cheesy same happens to me ... thats happen when real live stuff has tuned on   punched need to care my normal work.
I also stuck now at making progress on my ongoing projects here ... thats live ... some times it sucks  topsy (but live is great )

hope can bring results till end of the month.

Some other words related to this:
Also to be creative is something you can not forced ... I am sometimes out of ideas to create new stuff or fix some issues.
Take your time and the solution will appear on your eye thats what I do. Making some other activities like sport (workout,running and so on) helps me
to get great ideas or solution to fix issues. (try it out it works Wink )
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:51:50 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »

Also to be creative is something you can not forced ... I am sometimes out of ideas to create new stuff or fix some issues.
Affects me too Sad

Most of the OA3 concepts up to this point have been women and with my creative block i'm still pondering whether I should just take the Skullgirls route of things

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »

Affects me too Sad

Most of the OA3 concepts up to this point have been women and with my creative block i'm still pondering whether I should just take the Skullgirls route of things

Yea I see. But to have that forum as a plattform for brainstorming with a good team can bring huge progress and nice concepts.  punched

Edit: LOL ... Sorry, Akom to screw up your thread and LOL ... Sorry, From Hell have no idea whats the Skullgirls route  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

BTW: I do not know about the mainroad of OA3. Is there a core dev team to collect ideas, figure out concepts, defined standards, exchange knowledge, make thinks happend and so on?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:49:15 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:45 AM »

Sorry, From Hell have no idea whats the Skullgirls route  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I didn't know it, too. Googling made me discover Skullgirls is a fighting game with monster girls. You can find some videos on youtube, too.
So, "Skullgirls route" may mean using monster girls?

BTW: I do not know about the mainroad of OA3. Is there a core dev team to collect ideas, figure out concepts, defined standards, exchange knowledge, make thinks happend and so on?
About OA3, there are some infos on the wiki: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3
But mostly, Fromhell shows some preview of her work (new characters, new weapons, etc.) in a "WIPWIPWIPWIPWIP" thread in the OA3 forum section, which is hidden. I have never understood if it becomes available after you have done a certain number of posts (how many?) or only if Fromhell manually grants you access.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »

Skullgirls route = a female-exclusive character roster with some males/things being added later?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »

Took the map for a ride. (heh)

Feedback based upon the latest version.

Awesome! An Asymmetric map! Now that's a pretty good risk to take! I love it.

You might want to consider add arrows and banners inside of the blue base. Arrows, at least, at the walls, in order to indicate where to enter to the base.

The layout is pretty much a 0-shape with a middle cut. Consider adding a third route, with that middle cut being intersected, so carriers have more options while returning to their bases with the flags.

Haven't seen yet if the map supports 1FCTF and Harvester (the obelisk in the middle area). You should add support for at least Overload, Elimination, eCTF and DD in the .arena file. I can see this map being played in Elimination.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: