Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QUERY: bunny hopping in Open Arena  (Read 17180 times)
andwan0
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: December 05, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »

Is it possible to get CPMA running under Open Arena? I tried to install CPMA (and copy the maps into baseoa folder), but the maps wouldn't load. I heard Open Arena can be compatible with Quake 3 mods. I tried defrag mod and it seems to work.

One other thing I notice is that in both Xonotic & Warsow, we can KEEP HOLDING DOWN spacebar and the player continuously jumps upon touching the ground. This makes it "simpler" to do bunny hopping. However, in Quake 3 / Open Arena & even CPMA, we cannot HOLD DOWN spacebar for continous jumping. Is there such an option for the Xonotic/Warsow continous jumping? This would make it so much simpler to learn bunny hopping for Open Arena / Quake 3.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »

CPMA crashes because it expects a Xaero model for the menu.  Naturally OA doesn't have this, so it fails.  An ideal fix would be a symlink/placeholder feature so a text file could alias files with existing files fo the game's file system.

Also as have seen in Quake Live's reception, adding in auto bhop would cause a Community Uproar(tm) and i'd like to distance myself from changing the gameplay as a followtheleader thing.  Most of the new OA3 code have been all cosmetic.  It's not a new thing either - there was similar uproar over Tribes 2's easier skiing over Tribes, which is just terrain bunny hopping.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:01:38 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:56 AM »

Our wiki page about cpma tells to modify some variables in configuration to fit OA existing models.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CPMA
Maybe we may spend some more words to explain how to do it exactly.

Alternatively, IIRC it should be possible to enable ProMode (CPMA-like) physics also in OSP mod...
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/OSP

About changing core gameplay such as easy bunny hopping (or better, "continuous jumping".... as bunny hopping may have also other meanings: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Techniques#Bunny_hop), maybe it could be made as a server-managed feature and disabled by default, otherwise it would fall under "Nottodo".
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO

Gig from cell phone
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:00:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »

If someone could get CPMA to work for OA there would be alot of happy people in the community.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »

Today I started testing CPMA in OA, trying to figure out the variables to fix.
Doing tests, I see that what causes the inability to load a map is the lack of the default model, which for some reason they changed from Sarge to Mynx (unfortunately, OA 0.8.x does not have a replacement for Mynx!).

I tried to check which files in cpma contained "mynx", and it looks like there are various...
So, I have not been yet able to find out which files/variables need to be tweaked (I fear there may be even something in gamecode instead of configuration files?).

However, I made a QUICK and DIRTY patch to workaround the problem in a different way: I used OA "SMARINE" model as replacement for Mynx, Keel and Xaero. At least, this way the game works!

You can download my patch here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60263008/oth_mods/CPMA/cpma_quickfix_oa.pk3 (20 MB)
Quickly tried with CPMA 1.48 and OpenArena 0.8.8.
Give it a try and tell me.

There are more skilled people which could make better (probably, also smaller) patches to fix the problem... Maybe Graion, which made the OA compatibility patch DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/ARQ]for ARQ mod, may do a better job!

Tip: if launching cpma the first time messes up your screen, try switching to windowed mode (CTRL + ENTER) or to type /r_mode 3 in command console.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:16:21 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »

That is awesome. Don't be afraid to link the version of CPMA you're using!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:38:23 AM »

You asked for CPMA mod download links... here they are.  Smiley
CPMA 1.48 (without maps): http://www.moddb.com/mods/challenge-promode-arena/downloads/challenge-promode-arena-148-nomaps
CPMA 1.48 (including maps): http://playmorepromode.org/CPMA148.zip (about this one, take in account maps should not go to baseq3, but to baseoa or cpma folder).

Back to my "quick and dirty" patch (see my previous post):
Now that I think about that, the patch could be smaller, it looks like only a replacement for Mynx (being the default model there) is really required.
At the moment, my quick fix replaces modes for Mynx (default CPMA model instead of Sarge), Xaero (used in main menu) and Keel (because of default cg_enemymodel keel/pm[1]), using OA 0.8.8 SMARINE model instead.

... I could make the fix package with only a single copy of SMARINE, making it 6.7 MB instead of 20 MB, keeping "Mynx" one only. Drawback would be no model shown in main (title) screen (which has not real utility), and no models shown in "player settings/player model" screens when selecting Xaero and Keel (other Q3 models already are not shown there, unless I create copies for all of them, making the patch much bigger!).
What should I do?

I have to say that back at the 2000s, I was an OSP mod (Clan Arena) Q3 player... I was not a CPMA mod player (I don't even know why CPMA 1.48 defines itself as "CPMA 1.48 / OSP"... maybe at some point the two mods fused into one?). Anyway, I do not have specific CPMA knowledge!
However, I read in CPMA Wikipedia page that the "Not Team Fortress" mode uses server-configurable "Classes"... I don't know if those classes are meant to use specific player models!

[1] Not exacly, but almost. See the "update" part of this post.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:52:37 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 05:07:37 AM »

You know, you don't have to pack the textures with it. just the *.md3, animation.cfg, icon_*.tga and *.skin are enough.

Also you should use a female character equivalent to Mynx, like say Sorceress

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »

You know, you don't have to pack the textures with it. just the *.md3, animation.cfg, icon_*.tga and *.skin are enough.
Uh? How could default/red/blue skin correctly work if I do not include textures? :-/

Also you should use a female character equivalent to Mynx, like say Sorceress
I thought Sorceress was one of the mostly flawed chracters in OA 0.8.x... IIRC she doesn't even have a fully working "default" skin (IIRC, she's not selectable via GUI, and her bot uses her blue skin also in non-team-based modes)... isn't that?

I also tried to use Major, Gargoyle, Skelebot and Beret (or was it Sergei? I do not remember...)... but all of them did have various textures that were shown as the default "missing texture" (black/white squares) when used with CPM's "/pm" skins. I noticed Smarine did seem to do not have such "missing textures", so I just chose it.... I did not have time and will to copy, rename, re-package and test every single OA character.
I started with the idea of finding a couple of variables to update (if someone finds the way to fix the mod that way, that would be useful), I did not expect to do the other workaround. Anyone capable of finding better fixes/doing better patches is welcome! Smiley Mine is just a "quick fix" in the meanwhile... however we can find ways to make it a bit better.

Also, I don't know well CPMA... I have no idea about the reason why they changed default model to "Mynx" (also considering that, with standard settings, it looks like Keel is the character you see most). By the way, considering 0.8.x SMARINE is just a someone in space suit, who can tell there is not a woman inside the suit?  Grin

UPDATE: I just did a few more tests... it looks like the "default" value for cg_enemymodel (keel/pm) comes from the q3config.cfg file they included in the zip package (I can guess that cfg file is also the reason why one can find his display messed up when starting the mod for the first time).... but, after entering a match, doing /reset cg_enemymodel brings it to "sarge/pm" instead. So "keel/pm" is not a real "default" value in game logic, but it is in practice due to the initial configuration they provide.
Also, resetting "model" variable sets it to "sarge".

Now I am even more confused about which source/destination models should be used in the patch...  Huh
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:09:26 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:25:12 AM »

However, I read in CPMA Wikipedia page that the "Not Team Fortress" mode uses server-configurable "Classes"... I don't know if those classes are meant to use specific player models!

About this, I noticed there is a cpma/classes folder. Inside that folder, there are four cfg files. In each file there are a few lines, one of them is "m <character>" and seems to contain the model to be used for each character class.
fighter.cfg --> sarge
scout.cfg --> slash
sniper.cfg --> visor
tank.cfg --> keel
So, it looks like we also need replacements for "slash" and "visor" in the patch, to make the "not team fortress" mode show different models for each class.
Or to tell people to modify those .cfg files.

Some help/feedback from someone really knowing that game mode would be welcome...
How to figure out/assign the "class" of each player? It looks like cpma/docs/NTF.txt forgot to mention this!
UPDATE1: Okay, I got this: while in NTF mode, it is possible to know your own class by entering /class in console, and to change class by either using /class <classname> (where "classname" is fighter, scout, sniper or tank), or by using ESC Menu --> Class (this also shows the stats sets by server admin for each class. Every time you change class, you suicide.
You can guess the class of other players by their model... So, if we continue in the way of "let's provide a patch with required models", then we need more replacements... in case we switch to "let's say people which configuration files to modify", for NTF we just say to modify cfg files in /cpma/classes/*.cfg. OOOOps! See Update2.
UPDATE2: Strange, I edited the four class configuration files, to use standard OA characters... then in ESC menu --> Class I see the models I chose... but in-game I still see everyone as SMARINE (even if I set cg_forcemodel 0)...  Huh
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:37:13 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: