Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoke Emitter  (Read 65647 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: February 27, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »

Hi at all OA users !! Smiley

I need your help to find something that seems an OA original effect.

Here a screenshot of oa_shouse:

I've searched in all OA pk3 but i haven't found the appropriate script (and the texture...)

I've downloaded the source .map file but it doesent help me.... Sad

Can anyone tell me where to find the script and the texture of that "Smoke Emitter" ?

Maybe i've not searched in the right folder, but i don't know how to find this smoke stuff...  punched

Wink
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:51:56 AM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:21:44 AM »

I will not be able to open the .map in an OA-enabled NetRadiant editor before Monday...

However, I see that, other than the .map
http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/maps/oa_shouse.map
in the svn there is also a .ent file for oa_shouse
http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/maps/oa_shouse.ent

So it looks like "entities only editing" ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing) has been used there... something which I'm not used to work with...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 06:11:22 AM »

I will not be able to open the .map in an OA-enabled NetRadiant editor before Monday...

However, I see that, other than the .map
http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/maps/oa_shouse.map
in the svn there is also a .ent file for oa_shouse
http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/maps/oa_shouse.ent

So it looks like "entities only editing" ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing) has been used there... something which I'm not used to work with...

Thanks Gig.

About the .ent file, don't know what to tell. In the editor the smokers (?) appear as a normal brush with the smoke texture on it. For what i know it can have a script (don't know where) to work like it work.

However, i don't need exactly that script, but a similar effect.

As all can see from the original map, there's the smoke (puff) like a column with a sort of fading effect at the top. That is the effect i'm searching for. If it's an OA original, is better. Smiley

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »

It's not an entity, there's no entity for smoke creation. It's a shader.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:02:34 AM »

It's not an entity, there's no entity for smoke creation. It's a shader.

Me too think so.

Did you know what shader is ? Do you know the name ?

I'm not able to find it in OA folders, or maybe i don't know what shader to search.... punched

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:17:40 AM »

mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_1
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_2
etc.......
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_25
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_26

Place common/nodraw brushes with one face being that and you'll get it
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:20:21 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »

mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_1
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_2
etc.......
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_25
mc-sm19-amphetamine/smoke_26

Place common/nodraw brushes with one face being that and you'll get it

You're right, in the original .map file there's theese textures named as you write, but them are not in OA.
How do you think i can insert a textures that is not in a folder mc-sm19-amphetamine/ ?

I mean that's impossible to choose this texture from the editor.... Sad Sad

...i'm so sad...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »

I can't check now, but I can guess they are shaders. You should check which .shader file contains them and then check it is in your shaderlist.txt.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

Flashing skies giving a storm effect?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:04:18 AM »

Uh? What's the relationship with "smoke emitter" effect?  Undecided

However, if you are searching for a such thing, I don't know exactly. Let me try to guess something...
- I can guess one may do some shader trickery to have the sky shader suddently show a brighter stage for an instant, and then hide it immediately, to mimic a flash. But of course that would not affect lightmap: only the sky would appear brighter, but all the rest of the map and the players would remain at the same lighting.
- Maybe it may be even be possible to place on one side of the skybox a slightly different shader, which would also include a ("clampmap"?) stage depicting a lightning?
- For the rain, I can guess you may do something like the snow in the "Sleep" map http://www.lvlworld.com/review/id:879 - I think they placed a lot of brushes with the snow shader (I can guess they were "nodraw" brushes with the snow shader on one side - just a guessing).
- For the rain sound, I suppose target_speaker entities should work.
- For lightning bolt sounds, I don't know if it will be possible to somehow "sync" the sound with the sky shader. Maybe it's easy (just altering sound duration or flash stage properties), maybe it's impossible (maybe shaders do reset their position at each vid_restart while sounds no, so causing out-of-sync)... I haven't tried. Maybe one may even make the "flash" appear as extremely fast moving brush which is usually out from the sky and then suddently enters inside the sky, activated by some kind of trigger which would also activate the target_speaker at the same time... Just guessing.

PS: Maybe this thing about "light styles" for fake dynamic light may be of some kind of use: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Advanced_lighting#Light_styles
PPS: Different from what you are looking for, but very suggestive, in case you don't know it... "Estatica" map: http://lvlworld.com/review/id:1555 (different because time is frozen there)

Bye!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »

How do you think i can insert a textures that is not in a folder mc-sm19-amphetamine/ ?

They are shaders you can find in "pak0.pk3": \scripts\mc-oa.shader
So, be sure you have mc-oa listed in your shaderlist.txt, and that your Q3Radiant has got "show shaders" enabled in "Textures" menu.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:08 AM »

They are shaders you can find in "pak0.pk3": \scripts\mc-oa.shader
So, be sure you have mc-oa listed in your shaderlist.txt, and that your Q3Radiant has got "show shaders" enabled in "Textures" menu.

Ah, ok. Thank you. I've missed that thing  punched

With a couple of changes it works !! Smiley Smiley

Wink

DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »

Uh? What's the relationship with "smoke emitter" effect?  Undecided

@Gig Maybe adding a quote to my first post would have made perfect sense then. I was responding to the first post by Akom74

For a OA original effect I thought mentioning a storm like effect for the skies would separate OA from a Quake original effects.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »

@DILZNIK: No, i dont need a storm effect in the sky (not now   Wink  ) i'm just searching for the smoke effect, and i've found it ! Smiley Smiley

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »

For a OA original effect I thought mentioning a storm like effect for the skies would separate OA from a Quake original effects.

Oh. Then I did all those thoughts about how to do a storm effect absolutely for nothing....  punched By the way, did you mention it because you know some map for OA showing a such thing, then?

However, Akom was searching for that specific smoke effect, not for any effect which is on OA and not in Q3...  Wink
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:56:39 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

Ok, i think i've figured out how it work, but not completely.

I need to do some try to have the effect i want....  punched

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »

OOOOhhhh...
I'm curious to try the map...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »

OOOOhhhh...
I'm curious to try the map...

It's just a room to try some stuff.... punched

Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: