Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P.S.A.: Decorative objects as brushes (DON'T DO THAT!!!)  (Read 6821 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: July 29, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »

Just another quick P.S.A.

If geometry of a certain object is really complex and you need to use it a lot, consider making an .ase mapmodel out of it, and cover it with a mix of weapclip and botclip brushes. Too much geometry with structural brushes is bad for compiling and doesn't help at all with vis.

I've run into this problem while trying to compile several maps with the final compiling settings in both 0.8.8 and OACMP.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:35:16 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »

alternatively, mark them as detail

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »

alternatively, mark them as detail
This doesn't really work. BSPC still treats them as brushes. Most of oacmpctf3 is detail yet BSPC kept throwing the dreaded "ERROR: Tried parent". Only when I turned those things as models (with the respective adecquate settings) did the map compile well.

Not to mention that the map was already clipped/botclipped/botdonotentered.

I wonder if it's the fact that such brushes weren't caulked or there were many complex brushes interfering. I had to properly recreate most of those objects while leaving the old geometry as weapclip brushes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:43:04 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:30 AM »

I understand fromhell's comment. You did not mention that the problem was during bot compilation in the first post.

I noticed that some versions of bspc throws "ERROR: Tried parrent" way to much. I applied at least one fix to my bspc just to make the basic maps compile. I hope to someday be able to make bspc remove srufaces that are completly inside botclip and weaponclip so that the bots cannot touch them.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 07:00:15 AM »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. My bad.

I've also ran into the same problem in the pre-0.8.8 version of czest1dm, which also is the reason of why I had to mapmodel/brushrework the hell out of it for 0.8.8.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:02:30 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: