Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_ctf4ish - Evolution  (Read 82323 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« on: August 04, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

Hi there,

I'm back with some mapping-work. Again a modified version of oa_ctf4ish... "WHY?" you may ask..., "you already made sos_ctf4ish". Yes, but people don't want to miss an easy reachable rail and the pillars in the air also disturb. So it wasn't a big deal. "Ok, why we need changes on the original oa_ctf4ish map?" Because rail camping from the rail platform is still annoying (that's what me and other notice at :F-servers).

NOTE: I am still building the map. The red base is more advanced than the blue base. Light fixes, some texture fixes and some more detailed constructions (e.g. at the new rail platform) were needed.
"Why don't finish the map first and then post it here?" It is a well known map and I want to give the possibility to bring your ideas in (especially in terms of gameplay but also for the mapstyle). Which changes would you do on the map?

The new version in my oppinion will be...
1. with rail, but in a way where you can't camp undisturbed
2. with OA logos instead of *SoS*
3. a little bit restyled (some ideas from QL's SPACE CTF)

I have some screenshots with comments for you. Now gimme some oppinion.  Grin

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »

here another screenshot and also a pk3-testfile (s12b):
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »

Hi! Done a very quick try, without bots.
- After you get the grenade launcher, it's a bit too easy to bump your head on the roof, stepping on the buncepad.
- Look at the attached screenshot. It looks like there is a problem with the shader of the teleporter and the shader of the grid (well, now that I check, it happens also in current -0.8.8- oa_ctf4ish map). But while it can be more or less "forgiven" to see the teleporter through the "full" part of the grid (still a glitch however), in your map the teleporter is seen also through that other texture, which should look more "solid" than the grid.

I don't think it is your fault (there are no shaders in your package at the moment), however this may be the right time to find a fix for the problem. What about making a copy of those three shaders (with different names) and making some test to see if you can fix the problem? Maybe using "sort" value?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »

Hello Gig,

thank you for testing the map.
About roof-head-bumping: Didn't notice, will be fixed.
About texture problem: I haven't handled much with textures yet, but I look what I can do and let you know. Thx for the link.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:18 AM »

Oh well, if you are new with shaders, maybe Neon Knight may give a look to those used in the map?

In OA3, oa_ctf4ish should end up in a distinct "tribute maps" package, however fixing problematic shaders may be useful.*

As a possible tip, maybe (but I may recall wrong), between OA 0.8.5 and 0.8.8 they have been fixed the "simple items" of a couple of powerups (or were they holdables?), which did appear through walls, but I don't remember exactly which they were. I don't know how that has been fixed exactly (I'm not even 100% sure it has been fixed)...
Quickly looking at inconsprites.shader file in pak6-patch085.pk3 and the one in pak6-patch088.pk3, I haven't yet figured out what changed exactly (not remembering which were the problematic icons does not help...). It looks like kamikaze icon shader has been renamed, and invulnerability has been created, for the rest I don't know. Maybe if there is a .tga image with alpha channel (transparency) and no specific shader for it, the default blenfunc used causes the image to be seen through some kinds of other shaders? I do not know. However, the portal and the grate both surely have a shader... but I really understand very little about the various blendfunc.

* Also, I don't yet know exactly how the tribute maps package will work exactly, but I can guess that to keep full compatibilty with third party maps, all OA 0.8.x textures and shaders should be shipped with the base game -even those not actually used in baseoa3 maps-, isn't it? Or, also thanks to oa3's engine missing-texture-auto-replacement feature, OA 0.8.x textures not used by baseoa3 maps will be shipped with the tribute package instead?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:01:06 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
BlankBruno
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »

Hello Adriano:

I tested the map and like the changes you are making. It seems to me that you may have too many power ups, but I am assuming that the number/amount may change; that these placements are still experimental. Also, did you raise the "ceiling"? Sorry, I don't know what else to call it, I am not a mapper. If I remember correctly on the original map, if I rocket jump from the center platform on the jump pad that goes to rail platform, I hit a "ceiling" limit and begin my descent. On your modified version, that does not happen. I like it that way, and allows access to either platform and also allows to go too far and miss a safe landing entirely.

I hope my opinions help you.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »

@Gig: I gave it a try with shaders. I'm pretty new in it and I still need to learn some basics (with your helpful post here), so it would be really much appreciated if a competent person would do that. Not for me, for OA. Otherwise I may try at my own, but it would take much time to understand how. In emergy I could replace the tin_panel-texture on that old rail platform. EDIT: The rude solution to remove transparency is to save the .tga-file as .jpg, isn't it?

Some noob acquisitions but maybe it helps: I just found out that in 088 invulnerability is added (as you already said) and in row 80 there is written "map icons/haste" without .tga in the end like it is in 085 Not only for "haste" but also for "invis" and "regen". Idk if it makes a difference.
The texture proto2/tin_panel is a .tga image with alpha channel (transparency) like base_floor/cybergrate3.

@Blankbruno: Thx for your post. First of all: "experimental" is a good word to describe the actual state of the map. Smiley Yes, I am also thinking about reducing the ammount of power-ups. There are two Battle suits and one Quad damage above the center platform right now. I will just let spawn Battle suit and Quad damage (or maybe I should use other power up??) alterning on one position in the center. The 4-seconds long flight-powerup is just a funny rescue from falling down to death. It happens sometimes when you get pushed with shotgun.

I know what you mean with the rocket jump to rail platform: It feels like there is a ceiling limit but it isn't (if you want you can try it out by going in spectator mode and raise up -> you will see that the limit (btw the size of the skybox) is high enough). What makes the difference is a different flying curve that I've applied when you use this jumppad. I'm glad you like it.

@all: I would like to ask you which rail position is the best solution for you and also how much ammo it should have.
I compare two different positions:
1.] The new position I've given (on the new platform above the base) with 3 shots only
PROS:
- difficult to camp on it when you're on the enemy base because the platform is near to the base floor, so you can easily get shooten from near distance
- situation: You lost the flagg and enemy is running away -> Fast access to the rail (when you respawn at base) to stop the flagg carrier
- with 3 shots you get probably just 1-2 hits (depends how good is your aim; maybe I should raise it to 4 or 5 shots??). To get more shots you have to move and get ammo in the center of the map. => less camping possible

CONS:
- easy and fast access to the rail from own base, so you can fastly start camping Grin BUT only 3 shots (or maybe 4-5) and a respawn time of 15-20 seconds should prevent heavy camping
- when you get the rail in enemy's base then in most cases you won't use it because rocket launcher and Shotgun is the better option to hit the enemy at the base with little distance

2.] Rail in the position of BFG (rail replaced with BFG)
PROS:
- less camping because it isn't that easy to get
- it is not a comfortable place to camp in the center of the map
- while you're going to the enemy base using the jumppad you can achieve one hit to one defender *rail-well-used*

CONS:  
- this position is braking too much the map's tradition: I think a lot will miss the old position on the high-lying rail platform. (not only campers)
- due to the aloof position the rail as gun-alternative will be involved in the game very little (not by accident this was the BFG position)

Do you like more 1.] or 2.]? Or do you have other solutions?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:11:05 PM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »

Placing the railgun mid-air, requiring a jumppad to get it, maybe?

About temoving tranpsarency, there are ways to make shaders texture blend even if using jpg images...

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »

Thx Gig, always #1 helper on this forum. Wink

Placing the railgun mid-air, requiring a jumppad to get it, maybe?

Maybe it could work with this jumppad (see attachment; ofc it is just build provisorily)?

I have thought again about the rail position.. and I asked me "In which position the rail makes sense to be USED?" Ofc in positions where the distance between railer and enemy is long. That is mainly a) at the classic railplatform and b) at the red-cross-marked platform (see attachment).
Version 1.] in my previous post e.g. doesnt't make sense because as I said "in most cases you won't use the rail because rocket launcher and Shotgun is the better option to hit the enemy at the base with little distance"

Whereas position a) is the traditional badass-position for railing (in a positive way) but tends to get used as camping position, while position b) is good to rail at defenders while you attack their base.
The negative point of b) is that once you are at the enemy base with the rail and you get fragged, the rail gets in circulation. The defender pick up your rail and can start camping from his base. In position a) this won't happen because the rail remains on that rail platform.
The rail platform can be extended with an anti-camping-system, e.g. smth that let you crush, but you can still jump down from there to your base and camp from there. Version b) has the advantage that it isn't easy to get to the enemys' new jumppad (without getting damaged or fragged) so that you land on your own base and camp from there.

You see... there is no position without disadvantages. I will see which is the best one. Ofc tell me what you think. Thanks for your attention.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »

Is this the most recent version of the map? I did give it a try, but before I give my feedback I would like to confirm this.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »

Not sure where to tell you to place the railgun.

Most simple way would be to place it through the jump to reach upper platform (hence, to force people to stop camping to get more ammo)... but also modifying map layout a bit and changing its gameplay (as in your screenshot) may be a nice solution...
So, I don't know what to tell you...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »

Railgun in space maps is always a problem, and OA also has Instagib.

The key is always adding or changing areas so the Railgun becomes less powerful (the map itself limits its powerfulness) and players have a chance to stand against railers. Only solutions I can think involve the Chaingun, the Guard rune and the Invulnerability holdable being put to good use?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »

Neon Knight or Fromhell, could you please tell your thoughts about those textures problem we mentioned above?
Thank you.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »

Thx for reply.
Only solutions I can think involve the Chaingun, the Guard rune and the Invulnerability holdable being put to good use?

Guard rune: This may be replaced with the Mega Health? But I'm not sure if this necessary because I've already raised the ammount of armor/health in the map.
Chaingun: I've tried it (with /devmap in oa_ctf4ish) while playing with bots and it's much more powerful than the Rocket and the Shotgun, but: more damage making weapon = more health needed in the map, so that adding Chaingun AND Guard rune could work. Needs to be tested.
Invulnerability: Cool idea for this map. I've replaced it with the Grenade Launcher. It can be used as a defending shield especially when you have the enemy flagg. The powerup-duration is 10 seconds but I can't reduce it in GtkRadiant (with count = 5 e.g.). There's no easy way to do it?

The key is always adding or changing areas so the Railgun becomes less powerful (the map itself limits its powerfulness) and players have a chance to stand against railers.

Yes, that's it. That's why I placed it here.

This makes me think about another thing: The rail-platform wouldn't have much sense without rail. In my first version s12b I've just put a plasma gun there but it is not very useful. If I keep the rail away from the rail-platform, the platform needs to have another reasonable function otherwise the rail-platform doesn't make much sense to be there. I don't see any good reason. Do you have one?
In this case I could modify the map like this:
- I eliminate the rail-platform
- the jumppad that would bring you to the rail-platform, will bring you to the new build platform (the one above base platform and under the rail platform) instead
- the rail will be reachable through this new build jumppad here (see picture)

Ofc this will change the gameplay, as also said by Gig. The question is: Would you like to have a ctf4ish map without rail-platform ? It is not a technical question. In Germany we say: It is a belly question. Cheesy On the one hand this modifying will probably reduce camping (because you have to jump to the enemy base to get the rail and there you can't camp) but on the other hand the rail-platform is one of the most important map-characteristic of oa_ctf4ish. Without that it is a different map for me.

The other case would be:
- with rail-platform
- rail on the rail-platform (as in oa_ctf4ish)
- with a trap on the rail-platform (e.g. a shooter or crusher)

I would like to know which cases you like more. With or without rail-platform?

I have a newer version (s16) if you want to test it. It is just experimental but you'll see some little changes. Ofc the blue base will be as the red one.
- health and armor are on different places on the base
- I eliminated the battle suits, the quad is enough
- there is no shooter or crusher build in for testing
- the 'G' (Guard rune) shouldn't be in the map in the gamemode CTF (it is a mistake from me)
- there are still several textures to fix as light and bot support.

p.s. sadly I will be able to continue mapping after next Monday
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:13:56 PM by adriano » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »

Neon Knight or Fromhell, could you please tell your thoughts about those textures problem we mentioned above?
Thank you.
It's highly possible that there's a shader fault. I will check that later.

Thx for reply.
Only solutions I can think involve the Chaingun, the Guard rune and the Invulnerability holdable being put to good use?

Guard rune: This may be replaced with the Mega Health? But I'm not sure if this necessary because I've already raised the ammount of armor/health in the map.
Chaingun: I've tried it (with /devmap in oa_ctf4ish) while playing with bots and it's much more powerful than the Rocket and the Shotgun, but: more damage making weapon = more health needed in the map, so that adding Chaingun AND Guard rune could work. Needs to be tested.
Invulnerability: Cool idea for this map. I've replaced it with the Grenade Launcher. It can be used as a defending shield especially when you have the enemy flagg. The powerup-duration is 10 seconds but I can't reduce it in GtkRadiant (with count = 5 e.g.). There's no easy way to do it?
The runes aren't meant to be regular items, but more like "you take X position by using Y item". That was the original intention in Team Arena/Missionpack, which introduced them.

The runes were the answer to the three new weapons introduced in TA (Nailgun, Chaingun, Prox Launcher), as we discussed here long ago, so it makes sense to actually add one or two runes if one of these weapons are in.

Changing the items' properties isn't really recommended. That would mess the natural timing for the item a player might develop. Better design the map bearing in mind the items' default properties.

BTW, I want to add your map to the Tribute Mappack, so there's another reason to keep on developing it. Smiley

The key is always adding or changing areas so the Railgun becomes less powerful (the map itself limits its powerfulness) and players have a chance to stand against railers.

Yes, that's it. That's why I placed it here.

This makes me think about another thing: The rail-platform wouldn't have much sense without rail. In my first version s12b I've just put a plasma gun there but it is not very useful. If I keep the rail away from the rail-platform, the platform needs to have another reasonable function otherwise the rail-platform doesn't make much sense to be there. I don't see any good reason. Do you have one?
In this case I could modify the map like this:
- I eliminate the rail-platform
- the jumppad that would bring you to the rail-platform, will bring you to the new build platform (the one above base platform and under the rail platform) instead
- the rail will be reachable through this new build jumppad here (see picture)

Ofc this will change the gameplay, as also said by Gig. The question is: Would you like to have a ctf4ish map without rail-platform ? It is not a technical question. In Germany we say: It is a belly question. Cheesy On the one hand this modifying will probably reduce camping (because you have to jump to the enemy base to get the rail and there you can't camp) but on the other hand the rail-platform is one of the most important map-characteristic of oa_ctf4ish. Without that it is a different map for me.

The other case would be:
- with rail-platform
- rail on the rail-platform (as in oa_ctf4ish)
- with a trap on the rail-platform (e.g. a shooter or crusher)

I would like to know which cases you like more. With or without rail-platform?

I have a newer version (s16) if you want to test it. It is just experimental but you'll see some little changes. Ofc the blue base will be as the red one.
- health and armor are on different places on the base
- I eliminated the battle suits, the quad is enough
- there is no shooter or crusher build in for testing
- the 'G' (Guard rune) shouldn't be in the map in the gamemode CTF (it is a mistake from me)
- there are still several textures to fix as light and bot support.

p.s. sadly I will be able to continue mapping after next Monday
I would go for option 2, rail platform with a trap on it, if possible something similar to the BFG trap in q3tourney6.

I'll check your new version later. Smiley

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »

BTW, I want to add your map to the Tribute Mappack, so there's another reason to keep on developing it. Smiley
Nice to hear that. It's a pleasure doing an official contribute for OA.  I read the rules written in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Quake_Tribute_Mappack]wiki page. One point is:
As this is a Tribute pack, don't deviate much from the original layout. Some modifications may be OK, but whole layout changes just doesn't cut it.
There are already some changes that you don't find in Q3A's q3ctf (like the jumppad under the base & the new platform under the rail-platform similar to QL's Space CTF). Removing the rail-platform is definetely too much modification in my oppinion.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »

Yeah, haven't updated the page in ages. I may drop that rule.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »

Hi Adriano! If you upload your .map file or do a git push on the Tribute Mappack repo, I'll be sure to include your map on the pack. Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 05:43:48 AM »

Hello! Im back!
Given a quick try to S16. I like it enough.
- Attached, a couple of places where items are too near each other (although probably it's too early to point out such things, considering the "alpha"  stage of the map).
- I would not completely remove railgun platforms, because they are a distinctive trait of the map. I would just place the railgun mid-air through the jump required to get there.
- While the extra jumppad to go from base to base (you added one only in the blue base at the moment) seems good to me, I'm not completely sure about the jumppad in the middle of the map bringing you to the yellow armor platform instead of rail platform. I don't know.
- What about re-inserting the moving platform at the top?

PS: NK, did you take a look to those textures/shaders?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 07:19:15 AM »

It's definitely a shader problem if it affects other maps.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »

- Attached, a couple of places where items are too near each other (although probably it's too early to point out such things, considering the "alpha"  stage of the map).
yes, I'll seperate them a bit.

- I would not completely remove railgun platforms, because they are a distinctive trait of the map. I would just place the railgun mid-air through the jump required to get there.
I totally agree with the first sentence. The reason to place it mid-air is to avoid the respawning on the platform, so that a player can't get more ammo on that platform, right? Sounds good. Or do you have another intention?

- While the extra jumppad to go from base to base (you added one only in the blue base at the moment) seems good to me,
The extra jumppad was an experiment. It was meant to be there in case that I place the rail near to this extra jumppad instead of placing it on the rail platform. I don't know which other function it could have. There is already a base to base jumppad near to that. But maybe it is just a "nice to have"? Idk.

I'm not completely sure about the jumppad in the middle of the map bringing you to the yellow armor platform instead of rail platform. I don't know.
I don't get it sorry, maybe you can make a screenshot to show the jumppad?

I think it is not necessary anymore because there is no BFG or a replacement for it on that spot.

p.s. I have continued the mapping progress yesterday (after more than a weak of afk). I continue on making it looking nicer. I'll let you know when it is ready.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »

The reason to place it mid-air is to avoid the respawning on the platform, so that a player can't get more ammo on that platform, right?
Exactly. If you don't want to leave the platform competely empty, you may place something else there...

The extra jumppad was an experiment. It was meant to be there in case that I place the rail near to this extra jumppad instead of placing it on the rail platform. I don't know which other function it could have. There is already a base to base jumppad near to that. But maybe it is just a "nice to have"? Idk.
Simply, an alternate route to go to the other base, to make your path a bit more unprevedible. It should be tested with actual playing to be sure this would be good and not bad...

I'm not completely sure about the jumppad in the middle of the map bringing you to the yellow armor platform instead of rail platform. I don't know.
Look at the attached screenshot. I'm just not sure about this change of S16 against the original map. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't know.

I think it is not necessary anymore because there is no BFG or a replacement for it on that spot.
In S16, there is a quad damage up there...
Also, it can be used to shoot at rail campers... (Playing very few online, I can't tell how much people actually use it).

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »

Simply, an alternate route to go to the other base, to make your path a bit more unprevedible. It should be tested with actual playing to be sure this would be good and not bad...
Yes, could be good for the gameplay, I'll give it defenetely a try. 

In S16, there is a quad damage up there...
Also, it can be used to shoot at rail campers... (Playing very few online, I can't tell how much people actually use it).
My online experience says that it is not a valuable way to shoot at rail campers. Why? Because it is easy for campers to shoot at you while you are in air (especially at the moment when you are on highest point in air), so you won't even reach the platform. Now that I am writing, I think about putting two nice obstacles/barriers in the air that protects you just on that highest point. 
I even saw players camping on that moving platform, but for normal use it is good to get easy to the BFGs (which won't be included to the new map). The quad damage shouldn't be a problem to reach without the use of the moving platform.

Look at the attached screenshot. I'm just not sure about this change of S16 against the original map. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't know.
No no, that's not the point I mentioned. Thanks to your attached screenshot I understand what you mean (thx for the pic) and this seems strange because this doesn't occure to me... the jumppad brings me to the rail platform and not to the yellow armor platform (without using air strafe ofc). Look a short video here: http://sendvid.com/86uwjx6e
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Yes, could be good for the gameplay, I'll give it defenetely a try.
Yes. You may even move it more towards the middle of the arena -to force players walk a bit more- if you fear it may allow players to capture too quickly.

My online experience says that it is not a valuable way to shoot at rail campers. Why? Because it is easy for campers to shoot at you while you are in air (especially at the moment when you are on highest point in air), so you won't even reach the platform. Now that I am writing, I think about putting two nice obstacles/barriers in the air that protects you just on that highest point.  
I even saw players camping on that moving platform, but for normal use it is good to get easy to the BFGs (which won't be included to the new map). The quad damage shouldn't be a problem to reach without the use of the moving platform.
Is there something bad in using it? I don't know what to tell you. I just thought that, although secondary, it was still a distinctive trait of the map...

No no, that's not the point I mentioned. Thanks to your attached screenshot I understand what you mean (thx for the pic) and this seems strange because this doesn't occure to me... the jumppad brings me to the rail platform and not to the yellow armor platform (without using air strafe ofc). Look a short video here: http://sendvid.com/86uwjx6e
The difference of the jumps is smaller than how I drawed. I miss the upper platform by little.
If I set game physics to fixed 125 Hz (pmove_msec 9, pmove_fixed 1, pmove_float 0) instead of accurate physics (pmove_float 1) as I usually use, I even "crash" against the platform side. With fixed 125 Hz physics I can actually get over the upper platform if I reach the jummppad with a jump (which is a small trick to get a little more push by a jumppad).

But in your video, you did not jump... Are you sure you did the test with the same "S16" version of the map?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:00:59 AM by Gig » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 04:14:37 AM »

Hi all, sorry for my late reply. I have lack of time, but I was able to continue with the map in the past days. In the attachment you can find the new version s21c.
What's new?
- new jumppad base to base with plasma gun (mid-air) between
- some redesigning here and there
- some health and ammo placed on other spots. I removed the invulnerability but I will rethink about its usage in the map
- the blue base is the same as the red, so it is ready for some online gameplay test
- fixed flight curve of the jumppad from middle of the map to railplatform, so you won't crash against the platform side, as mentioned by Gig in the post above this here. I tried with the default config (com_maxfps 85, pmove_msec 11, pmove_fixed 0, pmove_float 0) and also with other settings (125 fps: com_maxfps 125, pmove_msec 8 & accurate physics: pmove_float 1) and it works
- the jumppad under the base brings you to the yellow armor instead of the rail platform. The main reason for that is to prevent easy access from own base to the rail

What's missing?
- bot support
- good light distribution and light intensity
- some texture fixes (I've to change the red textures on blue base and I'm not happy with the grate at yellow armor aaand the texture problems shown in shot0015.jpg(no, the surface isn't caulked and yes, Idk right now how to fix that))
- Rail trap ? (like Neon_Knight said:"something similar to the BFG trap in q3tourney6") -> It won't solve camping AT ALL because campers also jump down from the rail platform and camp from their own base (that's what I noticed in online games) BUT why not? =D
- other things to fix that turn out after testing it with players

Is there something bad in using it? I don't know what to tell you. I just thought that, although secondary, it was still a distinctive trait of the map...
Yes, I didn't say it before....the moving platform can be an obstacle when you are mid-air above the moving platform and want to reach e.g. the jumppad that brings you to the rail platform. That's why I want to take it out of the way.

I would just place the railgun mid-air through the jump required to get there.
Sadly I can't place it mid-air on a high place because there is too much variances in the flight curve when using different settings like pmove_float 1/0 and it also depends on which point of the jumppad you jump on, so that you can totally miss the rail. Placing the rail mid-air on a lower place isn't neither an option because it would be easy reachable in other ways...

Hi Adriano! If you upload your .map file or do a git push on the Tribute Mappack repo, I'll be sure to include your map on the pack. Smiley
Ofc, I will do when it's finished. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:50:35 AM by adriano » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: