Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging interest: OpenArena Community Mappack Volume 2  (Read 248593 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »

If only we could have texture artists... Cry

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

At every new map start, i select from all the textures (OA 0.8.Cool about 10/20 textures to use.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »

If only we could have texture artists... Cry

Is it so difficult to make textures? I make alot of textures by myself.
What kind of texture is needed?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2017, 04:29:53 AM »

Well, first of all the missing CTF variants of some default packages would be a good starting point.
Then completing the base and gothic texture sets with the proper replacements.

If you prefer, though, a complete single-theme package (walls, ceilings, floors, trims, lights, fx...) with red, blue and neutral designs (for both regular and CTF) is more than welcome.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »

Well, first of all the missing CTF variants of some default packages would be a good starting point.
Then completing the base and gothic texture sets with the proper replacements.

If you prefer, though, a complete single-theme package (walls, ceilings, floors, trims, lights, fx...) with red, blue and neutral designs (for both regular and CTF) is more than welcome.

base and gothic texture set is it refering to replace the original Q3A textures? I guess you do not want a 1to1 remake. It shall be some OA originals or?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2017, 05:33:52 AM »

Well, those replacements shoudn't be 100% accurate (we might be entering into plagiarism), but loose adaptations.

Right now it would be a better idea to have red, blue and neutral textures for the current OA original sets. Seems to be the most easier thing to do.

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

Sorry I have not yet started by a texture package  Embarrassed

Still not push myself to get in progress with that. Instead I have worked on another map project for OA (if you like as a candidate for a upcoming Mappack)

I would like to introduce "Dome of Doom":

Here the link to the pk3 file:
https://app.box.com/s/fvkyjbvqe8itvddogcypv4h1karw5car

Map is:
    - playable with bots
    - still not optimized (take fps drops in account)
    - weapon and entries are also not optimized
    - includes a stolen idea from q3dm17
    - includes some surprise I also worked on (hope you will find it and post it  giggity )

I think the map has also the potential for a CTF version (What do ya think about it?)
Also all other comments are welcome Smiley

Have fun with the alpha version, maybe it is closer to be a beta version I guess  punched

Sorry for beeing not so fequencly on at that forum and to bring more output.
I deal with other real life projects. And yes I know I need to bring all my maps to a final state  topsy

Cheers CG
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:44:30 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »

Sorry for making you wait.
I quickly tried cgdome_2018_a02.
I find it good enough, good job.

Some things I noticed:
- The fog under the arena causes some glitches when you fall down.
- Some "light" textures seem missing (see first screenshot attached). Maybe it's due to my OA install not being "clean"...
- The accelerator pad to reach the 17-ish platform doesn't yet have an accelerator pad texture.
- I find the "return" from the 17-ish platform good, however maybe it may give some less health bonuses (e.g. just one +50 or two +25... at the moment it gives two +50, IIRC... which may be too much for someone which has just grabbed the quad).
- I found it a bit strange that the megahealth is easier to reach than the red armor. Inverting their places, maybe? Just an idea...
- Maybe I felt the lack of a jumppad or staircase to reach the upper floor more near to the "front" part of the map. (considering "back" the part with the megahealth).
- Using "noclip" to search for your secret (which I haven't found!), I noticed the small glitch you can see in the second screenshot.
- Maybe differentiating textures for floor and walls...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »

Sorry for making you wait.
I quickly tried cgdome_2018_a02.
I find it good enough, good job.
You serious Gig? You was superfast compared to me  Smiley (also without not delivery of the announced texture pack  punched)

Some things I noticed:
- The fog under the arena causes some glitches when you fall down.
Ya right I also not happy with that also the surrounding area sucks (it was a dirty and fast solution I want to figure out in the next progress)

- Some "light" textures seem missing (see first screenshot attached). Maybe it's due to my OA install not being "clean"...

Strange it works for me with a clean OA 0.88 installation.

- The accelerator pad to reach the 17-ish platform doesn't yet have an accelerator pad texture.

okay for me that works too, maybe also try it with a new different OA installation

- I find the "return" from the 17-ish platform good, however maybe it may give some less health bonuses (e.g. just one +50 or two +25... at the moment it gives two +50, IIRC... which may be too much for someone which has just grabbed the quad).

Ya damn right. Thank for that hint, I totaly agree with that. That the input I need to bring more balance to the map.  Smiley 

- I found it a bit strange that the megahealth is easier to reach than the red armor. Inverting their places, maybe? Just an idea...

Okay yes I will just try to exchange each one to there palce.

- Maybe I felt the lack of a jumppad or staircase to reach the upper floor more near to the "front" part of the map. (considering "back" the part with the megahealth).
Yes thats something I also noted. I just will try some solution for it.

- Using "noclip" to search for your secret (which I haven't found!), I noticed the small glitch you can see in the second screenshot.
You guess the secret at the wrong place, its not a secret its more a replacement of some OA elements.
Try to earn some awards  Tongue

- Maybe differentiating textures for floor and walls...

Yes that will be a good reason for me to push me to do my announced job for a texture pack Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »

You serious Gig? You was superfast compared to me  Smiley (also without not delivery of the announced texture pack  punched)
Well, you had to create the map, I only had to give it a try! ^_^
okay for me that works too, maybe also try it with a new different OA installation
Then I'll try it with a cleaner install when I will have some time (don't know when).
Okay yes I will just try to exchange each one to there palce.
Maybe the risk then will be of having yellow and red armor too near each other? But however on two different levels, maybe it's ok...
You guess the secret at the wrong place, its not a secret its more a replacement of some OA elements.
Try to earn some awards  Tongue
Uh?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »

Okay maybe I shall open a new thread for the map and return to the main subject of here:

Have looked to my OA projects I want to offer for the map pack and have count up to 6 maps.

01_my very first OP map_shot0010.jpg
02_darkabbey_shot0013.jpg
03_oa_basesre_pa01_shot0008.jpg
04_temple of heros_shot0003.jpg
05_oa_dm17_q3redux_version_shot0005.jpg  //  If Q3A Redux works are allowed
06_proj02_redux_OAdm1_shot0002.jpg         // not yet introduced here
07_oa_tourney_project_shot0007.jpg
08_dome of doom_shot0004.jpg

some of them are close to final version, some need still put work on it
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:09:12 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »

We could add your map to the repo, carca55gr1nder, yeah. I might need to give you the permission to upload the map to the repo.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2018, 01:33:08 AM »

Have looked to my OA projects I want to offer for the map pack and have count up to 6 maps.
// If Q3A Redux works are allowed
Remakes and tributes are allowed in the mappack ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OACMP/DeveloperFAQ), however I would suggest do to dot exceed in their number, as "original" maps are preferred.
What do you mean with "Q3A Redux"?

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »

We could add your map to the repo, carca55gr1nder, yeah. I might need to give you the permission to upload the map to the repo.

Thanks Neon Knight sound nice, but I am a little concerned because there is a lot not finished yet.
And I ain't want to upload left unfinished projects for the map pack.

Here my coal I want to do till releasing:

01_my very first OP map ===============> do some layout change and improve some parts with stuff I have learned with my other projects
02_darkabbey =======================> do some small improvements of layout
03_oa_basesre_pa01 ==================> add some new map floor areas, have a vision of it in my mind but not yet get to do it
04_temple of heros ====================> close to finished version, but there is also a vision of new map floor areas in my mind I have not done yet
05_oa_dm17_q3redux_version ============> it is done like it is I just want to enlarge the space area (Skybox)
06_proj02_redux_OAdm1 ===============> approx. 20% done of the whole map layout of the original oa_dm1
07_oa_tourney_project =================> needs a main layout change of the floorplan
08_dome of doom ====================> some items and performance improvements (may be also convert to a CTF version)

I will try to finish now these issues step by step and do focus to these 6 map selections (I have still some more in the pipe but the list is long enought)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:05:50 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »

// If Q3A Redux works are allowed
Remakes and tributes are allowed in the mappack ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OACMP/DeveloperFAQ), however I would suggest do to dot exceed in their number, as "original" maps are preferred.
What do you mean with "Q3A Redux"?

Redux is meaning redo or new version, that is related to that is my version of q3dm17: I have try to rebuild it new from the scratch. That was an experiment to me to learn some mapping techniques that ends into a result I don't want put into the trashcan.

But of course the layout is stolen from the original one and I have tried to be close as possible to the original one.

So in the end that map is q3dm17 ...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »

Q3A Reduxes have their own project with their own repo.

It's located here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4425.0

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: