Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_ctf4ish - Evolution  (Read 82311 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2017, 08:06:21 AM »

And by the way... here the final version of the map. What I've done is to complete the design and added nodrop at jumppads and botroam. I know there are very little texture problems like under the flight item and under the jumppads but I couldn't remove them...

...anyway... at the end I think it got a really funny map to play... enjoy it!  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:12:54 AM by adriano » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »

Well, in space-platform maps using VIS is almost unnecessary since you're seeing the entirety of the level at all times and there's no need to cull anything.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »

Well, in space-platform maps using VIS is almost unnecessary since you're seeing the entirety of the level at all times and there's no need to cull anything.
However, not using VIS at all in non-space-platform maps does not sound a very good idea...
and it sounds a bit strange to me that the "final" compile options of Radiant do not include the VIS stage at all... :-/ (I haven't checked yet).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »

However, not using VIS at all in non-space-platform maps does not sound a very good idea...
and it sounds a bit strange to me that the "final" compile options of Radiant do not include the VIS stage at all... :-/ (I haven't checked yet).
No no, I might explained bad. The final compile of Radiant DOES include VIS. The compile is nearly as slow as the OA wikias' example. But in OA wikias' example was something that caused me that untextured problem.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:11:41 PM by adriano » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »

Hi Adriano Smiley

I've found a strange bug.... moving near the flag and watching up, some textures disappear...

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2017, 07:13:57 AM »

Thanks Akom, I updated the map (refreshed attachement above). Now should be ok.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »

Hi Adriano Smiley

I've found a strange bug.... moving near the flag and watching up, some textures disappear...

Wink
That could be the use of common/caulk as a visible surface.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »

That could be the use of common/caulk as a visible surface.
Exactly Wink
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2017, 01:00:32 AM »

Good, but:
- In gametypes which use deathmatch spawn points, massive telefrags happen. This is bad. Please add at least 8 team-free spawn points (better if 12 or even 16).
- Anti-rail-camp trap isn't very effective when playing against bots, due to them rarely shooting at the trap trigger. I have no idea if there is some way to tell them to shoot there more often (I don't know if a floating item_botroam there may help, maybe not).
- The megahealth (in the middle of the map) seems like floating a bit too high... is it just an impression of mine?

I know there are very little texture problems like under the flight item and under the jumppads but I couldn't remove them...
Do you need some help to fix it? Common/caulk should never be used on visible surfaces... why did you use it there? Maybe you wanted common/nodraw instead?
PS: For some reason, I haven't been able to view the grid texture disappear like in Akom's screenshot...

UPDATE:
As seen in the attachments, those grids shaders still have the (relatively small) glitch of resulting "semi-transparent" for some other shaders, maybe those which are semi-transparent in turn (see the red teleporter, or the health bonuses). I don't know how to fix that.
Who's the best shader expert, here? I suppose Fromhell... any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:53:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »

@Gig:
- DM-spawnpoints: done. 16 spawn-points.
- Anti-rail-camp trap: sadly the bots don't seem to have the "intelligence" of using the activation button for the trap. The item_botroam give just a weight to which point the bots should go. I didn't find any other way, neither.
- megahealth: No, you are right. I did it for purpose to be easier reachable....e.g. when you come directly from the teleporter that normally brings you to the rocket&ya-platform and want to to take the jumppad to rail (a situation that is very common while playing)
- Common/caulk: Hmm where did you see that texture on a visible surface under the flight item? (look attachement) seems very strange that it causes this little issue
- grid texture disappear: you didn't see it because I had updated the problem meanwhile Smiley

Somehow I can't add anything to attachment right now ( "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. " )... the pk3 has nearly exact same size as before if you ask
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »

- Anti-rail-camp trap: sadly the bots don't seem to have the "intelligence" of using the activation button for the trap. The item_botroam give just a weight to which point the bots should go. I didn't find any other way, neither.
Didn't you foresee a "trigger hurt" slow damage trap in some previous version of the map, to prevent camping there?
- Common/caulk: Hmm where did you see that texture on a visible surface under the flight item? (look attachement) seems very strange that it causes this little issue
Excuse me, where did I say I saw caulk under the flight item? :-/
Somehow I can't add anything to attachment right now ( "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. " )... the pk3 has nearly exact same size as before if you ask
That happens at times. Unless the file is >3 MB, then we can only inform Fromhell about the problem, and she should fix it.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »

Excuse me, where did I say I saw caulk under the flight item? :-/
Sorry for the confusion ^^ Now while rereading the message I see that I misinterpret it ^^

Didn't you foresee a "trigger hurt" slow damage trap in some previous version of the map, to prevent camping there?
No (as far I can think), only on top of the crusher. But I didn't understand why you ask this Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

But I didn't understand why you ask this Smiley
Because I kinda recall some previous version of the map which had some kind of energy field (trigger_hurt) which affected campers, but I don't remember at which floor.

And because you may also place one anyway, to prevent excessive camping also in botplay mode.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »

But I didn't understand why you ask this Smiley
Because I kinda recall some previous version of the map which had some kind of energy field (trigger_hurt) which affected campers, but I don't remember at which floor.

And because you may also place one anyway, to prevent excessive camping also in botplay mode.

No I go for the idea to make the anti-camping-traps/places an optional on those places, so that you freely decide when it is too much camping up there. I don't want to make those places nearly unpossible to use.  Let them be there up there and let them wonder if smth is wrong staying there too much  giggity

By the way, the last updated map here.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2017, 12:52:56 AM »

By the way, the last updated map here.
Good, but I just found a bug.

See attached screenshot: for some reason, that bot got there without being killed, and so is stuck there at the bottom of the map. Please check the trigger_hurt which kills falling people, it may need to be enlarged (e.g. to reach the bottom of the map).

Also, I noticed that the "flight" item only lasts 5 seconds: considering how difficult is to get it, shouldn't the reward last a bit more?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:20 AM »

Also, it's a VERY BAD IDEA to mess with anything's spawntime. If the item cannot fit in the level, then it may not belong in the level in first place.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »

@Gig:
- yes thanks for reporting the problem with trigger_hurt
- about flight item: Yea the 5 seconds seem short in a first thought... there are meant to reach the quad, the yellow armor (near to rocket)+Megahealth or the base just in time... so that you can continue playing normal after reaching them. Take in mind that the flight velocity isn't that fast...it is faster when you jump normal around the map, so a longer lasting time would just slow down.
You're right, it may be still too risky for some people and for other it is about finding the right technique to get it easily, but it is just a little optional and sometimes you get it when you are not intendet to get it... i mean in case of when you get pushed down

@Neon_Knight:
Spawntime. Yes if anything, then absolutely. Especially for weapons and armor (my oppinion). In my version I only changed the spawntime of flight item and invunerability to 30 sec. For me it seems ok in terms of spawntime, isn't it?
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »

Space is dark, boring and done to death. Could be skybox like the one of the wtf33 map be used ? I mean, an endless sky with a brighter strip along the horizon, a bit like the Zen world of Half-Life?

It's not as boring and also helps orient yourself.

P.S. There are not enough GPL skyboxes  Lips Sealed

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »

For platform/space maps, it's possible to build Unreal-like skyboxes, but you need at least six surfaces (a la Quake II) and a specific actor in order to make it work. oa_dm3 (a non-platform/space example), oa_pvomit and oa_shine use such kind of skyboxes.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:34 AM »

Also some skybox from OACMP Vol. 1 are GPL'd.

Smiley

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2017, 06:35:09 AM »

Yep, that also works too. Good one, Akom. Smiley

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »

I saw this map a few times on F: ctf for stupid, playing it wasn't very fun and it eventually fell off the roster.

My thoughts (as I remembered of its existence):

* Anti-camp is done too well. And is too complex. My suggestion:

1. Scrap the crushers altogether.
2. return normal railing platforms, but shape them like spatulas with an aircraft tail. I.e. with a long thin beam where railgun spawns, with a 'vertical stabilizier' to serve as rocket impact point to send the unwary camper to his aaaaah-splat. A siren should also sound when anyone steps on the tail.
3. Move these platforms further back so that the camper can't jump down directly onto the flag. Also if he falls off the tail it's into the void. Also, so that he is less obscured from the guys down below if he sits close to the front.
4. jumppads from the center should lead to the railing platform as in the classic version, necessitating braking in the air to land on the flag. Also, this way, shooting the carrier's butt "helps" him overshoot  Evil which is classic.
5. Return the bfg. Place it down below, where only a guy who grabbed Flight can get it.

P.S. It turns out, while railing was annoying, it was an essential part of the progenitor map's dynamics.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:45:31 AM by cheb » Logged

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »

Video of some playing this map (F: for stupid)
It pops up rarely but it's there.
http://chebmaster.com/video/oa-ctf4ish-evolution-cheb.avi  (265 Mb)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »

I didn't notice the map had that camping-friendly spot you used at the beginning of the video...

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »

Not on F: for stupid because if you stay in one place too long you asplode earning minus 10 points giggity

Also, not very useful now as people learned how to shoot rockets there properly.
But yeah, initially you only had to duck to be unharmed by nearby explosions. Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: