Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_ctf4ish - Evolution  (Read 82320 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »

Hmmm, then we need a limit on the amount of versions, and if possible, at least one version per map (i.e. for q3ctf4 either oa_ctf4ish or adriano's improved version).

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

Hmmm, then we need a limit on the amount of versions, and if possible, at least one version per map (i.e. for q3ctf4 either oa_ctf4ish or adriano's improved version).
"At least"? Do you mean "at max"? D'oh!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Indeed. I should have said "at most". My bad.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

0.8.1 -.-
That people shouldn't bother us for updates if they're not going to use them.
Comprehensible.

I would never suggest you to include in a map's pk3 files or shaders with the same exact path+filename of a baseoa file, not even if it's a copy of it. However you may place the copy under a new path/name.

This also means that overriding baseoa sounds with your own sounds by using the same path+filename would be a bad idea: that would affect all maps! If the entity supports the "noise" key use it (but very few do I fear), otherwise I suggest to just accept entity's default sound. Maybe you may link a door to a target_speaker, but I don't know if that would work (maybe a button operated door?) and how much that would be reliable...

About invulnerability, its model and effects have been added in 0.8.8 - in 0.8.5 it was technically working but invisible - in 0.8.1 I don't remember.

About bots, did you already try with item_botroam and playing with their "weight"?

- I've already suspected what you said, thx for the advice for the textures, I won't make any copy.
- in fact it is an button operated door with crusher option (not as you see in the video) and no, sadly it doesn't support noise key. I've to try around a bit. Meanwhile I found this: http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/sound_door/
- About item_botroam and their "weight": I hadn't this is mind. I need to try that! Good tip!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 02:05:45 AM »

- About item_botroam and their "weight": I hadn't this is mind. I need to try that! Good tip!

So, you may be interested into reading this: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Bot_play

About copy of textures, if you place them under a different path/name (e.g. textures/adriano01/wall01.jpg), it's okay.

Indeed. I should have said "at most". My bad.
Uhm... I still hope there may be some room for talking about this stuff in the future.
On one hand, I thought the tribute map pack was mainly meant as a way to "save" some well-known 0.8.x maps which will not be included in OA3 main package. A way to continue allowing people to play "hystorical" maps such as a ctf4 very similar to the one from Q3A.
On the other hand, I appreciate the efforts Adriano put into his "remix" map, and I think it would be nice to have it in some more or less "official" map package, too.

A possible solution I can think about may be including the original map in the tribute mappack, and include the remix version in OACMP volume 2, if and when we will find time and resources to put it together (which may even be before OA3 is released, considering for it we already have several maps from Akom74 which are like 90% finished).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:49:42 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »

Hi all, it has been passed nearly 2 months since my last post. I know and I am sorry for that. I had some private troubles. Just want that you know that this project isn't dead. You can see the latest changes in the attachment.
The next two steps will be: redesign the crusher and using item_botroam's "weight" feature.
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:36 AM »

When playing @ F: CTF for stupid I noticed the same old bug:

If the flag falls onto a jumppad (the one below the flag platform, in that event) no one can touch it. Even when falling directly onto it the player is catapulted away before touching the flag.

It's the same with the classic old map: if flag falls onto any jumppad it is VERY hard to get it again. Most effective techniques for returning such a flag include falling *beside* the jumppad into the void if the flag is at the jumppad edge. I saw it happen too many times. Especially frustrating when, like, four of your teammates jump onto your flag to no effect, then one enemy jumps onto it, grabs it and scores mad

Please give the jumppad surfaces some property that makes the flag respawn by touching them. Like they were lava or something.

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »

I suppose just placing a thin common/nodrop brush may fix the problem...

However I can guess it would be good for the shader of a jumppad to have surfaceparm nodrop on its own...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:36:17 AM by Gig » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »

Good observation, cheb. Thank you for sharing it here. Your advice is precious. I'll apply what was said by Gig. Thanks Gig. Smiley

The last thing I was working is the redesign of the crusher. See screenshots. It isn't finished, I try to get some fog on it. Again you can go on top of it, but to prevent camping you get 8 dmg/sec + 40 dmg/sec when you hit the lava things.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »

I try to get some fog on it.
Fog in an open area? In this game?  Undecided Good luck...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »

I suppose it depends on the fog, on the new czest1tourney I use fog on the bottom of the map, right below the lowest playable area.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »

I suppose it depends on the fog, on the new czest1tourney I use fog on the bottom of the map, right below the lowest playable area.
But if I understood correctly, he's planning to use it just in that specific area above the crusher you can see in his screenshots, which is not the same thing...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »

There shouldn't be problems, as far as I can tell. He might have to test with nodraw and nodrawnonsolid, though.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »

Forget the fog. It doesn't make sense.... also for the reason that with fog you won't see anything from outside to inside of the crusher (and that is no deal). I just wanted smth that disturbes the visibility for them who are on top of the crusher and look outside & isn't solid. Sorry, that was stupid from me. :s
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »

What about some sort of energy field shader? For a wip (currently in stall) map of mine, I think I removed some stages from an existing shader (obviosuly on a copy of it under a different path!), maybe something called like "teslacoil", to get an energy field adapt for my semi-transparent double-sided teleporter...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »

Double post. Please delete thia one.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »

What about some sort of energy field shader? For a wip (currently in stall) map of mine, I think I removed some stages from an existing shader (obviosuly on a copy of it under a different path!), maybe something called like "teslacoil", to get an energy field adapt for my semi-transparent double-sided teleporter...
Yea probably, but I've no idea till now where to apply it in a good looking way. I'll see,ty. Anyway there are more important things to do on this map than this...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:42:45 AM by adriano » Logged
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 04:56:38 AM »

Uh normally I would like to surprise you right now with the final version of the map. I had all things done + some extras. But the final compile throws up that what you see in the attachement  Lips Sealed
I used the script from OA wikia (took me about 16 hours on i5, 4GB RAM (it doesn't use all my 8 GB but that's a different problem)):

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -flares -meta -patchmeta -skyfix -v -verboseentities "C:\Program Files\openarena088\baseoa\maps\oa_ctf4evo.map"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -vis -v "C:\Program Files\openarena088\baseoa\maps\oa_ctf4evo.map"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -light -dark -dirty -fast -patchshadows -v -samples 3 -bounce 8 -gamma 2 -compensate 4 "C:\Program Files\openarena088\baseoa\maps\oa_ctf4evo.map"

Do you have an idea what I make wrong? Fast compile in a minute (BSP -meta -light -faster) works without problems but has low FPS
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:59:19 AM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2017, 05:26:01 AM »

Do you mean these examples?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Compiling_and_packaging#Some_building_script_examples

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Compiling_and_packaging#Some_building_script_examples

Yes, exactly. I used the "Final compile script (Windows):"
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »

Does the same happen also if you just use Radiant's stock compile options?

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »

Does the same happen also if you just use Radiant's stock compile options?
I just tried the fast options (single test) from Radiant and they work. This night I will run the (final) option ... it is the second last of the list... and let see what comes out tomorrow Smiley I could try like that till I have the parameter that causes this problem. thanks Gig

EDIT: the Radiant's stock compile options work for me. Tomorrow I'll post the map Wink
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:44:40 PM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2017, 02:49:40 AM »

It may still be useful to find out which one is the compile parameter which slows down the compiling that much. Neon Knight may consider removing that parameter from the example in the wiki, to same some days of compiling to people...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »

The really bad thing is that I don't even remember what does each parameter. :S

I know there was a parameter which unnecesarily bloated the map which FH told me to abandon since it gave underworks2 the size of Quake. I need to review (and, once again, relearn -.-) everything.

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »

It may still be useful to find out which one is the compile parameter which slows down the compiling that much. Neon Knight may consider removing that parameter from the example in the wiki, to same some days of compiling to people...
I've tested it...it is the parameter -vis
While compiling the step "PassagePortalFlow" take all that hours Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: