Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bot-specific entities  (Read 5785 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: July 30, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »

info_bot_defend: same as info_camp, but has a "Team" spawnflag which marks if they belong to the Red (0) or Blue (1) team. A DefensePoint of sorts.

info_bot_jump: Should work as a JumpSpot: it targets a target_position placed at the end of where the jump must end.

info_bot_press: Targets a button (acting like item_botroam) which the bot must press for some action.

info_bot_grappledest: Place near a wall, hints the bots where they should use the Grappling Hook in order to reach some area. Like a TranslocDest.

info_bot_rocketjump: Targets a target_position. Tells the bots where they need to do a rocket jump.

BSPC (or the game itself) should be programmed in such a way that bots can recognize these entities.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »

I would also add something like info_bot_waypoint: linking some of them each other to suggest a possible path. Useful for example to tell a bot where to go after having pressed a button (inserting one info_bot_press in the sequence?).

A problem could be if some maps would rely too much on these new entities, how well would they work in old mods, where those entities would be ignored? E.g. if one places the specific "press button" entity, he may forget to also place the clasic "botroam" entity there, which would be the only one considered by old mods.

I wonder if the one about grappling destination may work without another one (or more) to be used to mark possible starting point(s). And I wonder if that could be used to make bots somehow use grapple even in maps where the aas file has been compiled without "grapplereach" parameter[1]. However, we would need to fix bot grapple support first, which is quite buggy at the moment.

Maybe we may ask an opinion from Graion Dilach or ChaoticSoldier, which IIRC did some work on bots some years ago.

PS: I do also wonder what would happen if such things would cross a clusterportal...

[1] Thinking again, if one has to recompile the map to add these entities, he would also have to recompile aas, so he may add -grapplereach then....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:37:39 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

Older mods would ignore it, of course. The same way they already ignore the Missionpack items and objectives when they load the maps, IICR.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »

Older mods would ignore it, of course. The same way they already ignore the Missionpack items and objectives when they load the maps, IICR.

That's why any map should not rely on the three TA weapons excessively... Any map should contain enough "standard" weapons...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: