Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcer is TOO SLOW for CTF!  (Read 8809 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: January 05, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »

The problem is when a lot of events are happening tightly grouped, which is quite often in a furball surrounding a flag.
The announcer messages are just too long and perfectly phrased, and which is worse, they are queued. Angry
Usually, it's just annoyance, hearing it go on and on long after the fight is over. Lips Sealed
Today, it almost cost my team our victory. mad
Imagine *both* flags dropped three or four meters apart, with both teams streaming in like murdfer lemmings sucked by a black hole, hosing the area preemptively with plasma and rockets... Well, you get the idea. Carriers fragged and flags grabbed again several times per second. Of course I dove in as well.
The announcer went, like, Your team has the enemy flag. Your team has the enemy flag. The enemy has your flag. The enemy has your flag. Blue flag returned. You have the flag.
The problem is it began saying the last part after I was laying fragged because I stayed to fight. Had I known I had the flag I'd do everything to disengage and score, leaving the other meat-shields to deal with the enemy.
Well, we still won. 8:7.

I don't know, what, but something has to be done. Make them shorter. Make the more important ones interrupt what is currently playing. Make the "You got the flag" a separate layer in separate voice holler in your ear "You got the flag! Score, now! Go-go-go! Move it!"
SomethingAngry

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »

The sound system doesn't allow channel interrupting unfortunately.  It used to though (pre-1.25, but alas, the source prior to 1.32b has not ever released)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:41 AM »

Hmm, then at least make "YOU got the flag" use a different channel from the announcer. Just a regular (extra loud) sound effect in a different voice.
I see it too often that people take a whole second to realize they have the flag, and that's a lot of time, especially if they continue their attack run. grouch

P.S. I think, the most impact would be if it was a little girl yelling "YOU got the flag!", fort  extra emphasized contrast. shifty

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:49 AM »

P.P.S. At least streamline that system of sound signals independent from the announcer.

1. All 7 events should be pretty distinctive (as it is now, 5  of them are NOT, at least I can't tell the difference between your flag being dropped and the enemy's):
- your team grabbed the flag
- enemy grabbed your flag
- your team dropped the enemy flag
- enemy dropped your flag
- you grabbed enemy flag
- your team scores (current version is a shining example!)
- enemy team scores (current version is a shining example!)

2. Make them all musical, preferably different sets of notes played on different instruments: piano, guitar, vuvuzella, etc. The win/score are good examples but probably too long for the other 5 events.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: