Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Os Sierra  (Read 44047 times)
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »

Hi,

is there a way to run Open Arena on Mac OS 10.12?

thanks.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:43 AM »

Did you already follow the instructions for Mac installations?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#Mac
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »

Did you already follow the instructions for Mac installations?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#Mac
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac

yes i did, it works fine on other mac os versions but not on sierra.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »

Do you get some kind of error message? Does OA seem to start up, or nothing happens at all?
Is it possible to export OA log as suggested here (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log ?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »

Do you get some kind of error message? Does OA seem to start up, or nothing happens at all?
Is it possible to export OA log as suggested here (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log ?

A message says that is not possibile to open the app, nothing happens, nothing launches. I think it's how mac os sierra works that needs updated executable application.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

Not owning a Mac, I cannot help you directly.

I just sent a PM to Jackoverfull, the one who compiled OA Mac binaries... maybe he may have some clue...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »

It looks like in Sierra, Gatekeeper is even stricter and some options are hidden.
Do these help?
http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/
http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/15/add-remove-gatekeeper-app-command-line-mac-os-x/

Now I added also these links to the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:29:53 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

Or also here: http://www.macworld.com/article/3094865/macs/how-to-run-apps-that-are-not-from-the-app-store-in-macos-sierra.html

skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 03:37:37 AM »

i've already done that, it's not the gate keeper but thanks for the suggestion.  Roll Eyes
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 04:18:09 AM »

very odd…perhaps the app was moved from a windows machine and lost the executable bit?

can you try this command in terminal (/Applications/Terminal)?

Code:
chmod +x /path/to/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

Also, if you launch OA from the Terminal you should get a detailed log, although I don't think it starts at all from what you wrote.

Code:
/path/to/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

You don't need to write the path directly in the Terminal, you can get it by dragging the app onto a terminal's window (just remember to remove the space at the end).
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »

very odd…perhaps the app was moved from a windows machine and lost the executable bit?

can you try this command in terminal (/Applications/Terminal)?

Code:

Also, if you launch OA from the Terminal you should get a detailed log, although I don't think it starts at all from what you wrote.

Code:
/path/to/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

You don't need to write the path directly in the Terminal, you can get it by dragging the app onto a terminal's window (just remember to remove the space at the end).

Doing that i don't have the message impossibile to open the app anymore, it seems to load but then it closes immediately when i launch OpenArena app.
I've done the same with "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28" app (i have two apps in the folder, don't know the differences) and launching that now it says "Couldn't load default.cfg. See "...crashlog.txt" for details." but i don't have any crashlog.txt

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:39:37 AM by skiso » Logged
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »

is the application in the same folder of your baseoa folder?
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »

is the application in the same folder of your baseoa folder?

Yes, sure. I've just downloaded OpenArena-0.8.alien unzipped and haven't moved anything.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »

I've done the same with "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28" app (i have two apps in the folder, don't know the differences)
From (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac:
0.8.8 Mac binaries are those in "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app". Those in "OpenArena.app" are previous 0.8.1 binaries instead: they may be used (after chmod-ing them!), but do not include GLSL support and some other fixes.
Wink

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 06:04:08 AM »

can you post the text you get into Terminal and also a photo of what you have in your openarena folder?
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 06:06:36 AM »

can you post the text you get into Terminal and also a photo of what you have in your openarena folder?

is there anyone else able to run it on mac os sierra?
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

Same app worked before upgrading to Mac OS Sierra, El Capitan had no running issues.
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 04:11:27 AM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihbay98warspynn/Schermata%202017-02-02%20alle%2011.12.24.png?dl=0
Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

Can confirm ran into the same issue on Sierra with a fresh download of OA.

For me the issue is that the com.apple.quarantine attribute is being applied to the downloaded zip file and extracted files. Here's the steps I took to get OA running. Everything below was done in the terminal

1. First run the already mentioned chmod +x stuff:
Code:

At this point OA will attempt to run but will close out pretty quickly before any window opens. This lead to open the crashlog.txt. Path for reference: ~/Library/Application\ Support/OpenArena/baseoa/crashlog.txt. Here was the output:
Code:
ioq3+oa 1.35 macosx-i386 Oct 20 2008
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/Users/usernamehere/Library/Application Support/OpenArena/baseoa
/private/var/folders/50/_95jr5yj1cq6hh3kl6d8r76m0000gp/T/AppTranslocation/CC97DC96-60A2-4F50-9764-D53F48F19125/d/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/baseoa
/private/var/folders/50/_95jr5yj1cq6hh3kl6d8r76m0000gp/T/AppTranslocation/CC97DC96-60A2-4F50-9764-D53F48F19125/d/baseoa

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
Couldn't load default.cfg

The AppTranslocation in the path lead to some googling which is how I found out about the com.apple.quarantine attribute.

This lead me to check permissions using the ll command on my extracted openarena-0.8.8 folder:
Code:
drwx------@ 26 usernamehere  grouphere        884 Feb  2 11:52 openarena-0.8.8

That @ symbol indicates there is some extended attribute set.

2. Check to see if the com.apple.quarantine is set on your openarena-0.8.8 folder:
Code:
xattr -l openarena-0.8.8
com.apple.quarantine: 0081;58934d06;Google\x20Chrome;4D0E67E5-C8F8-4963-A25D-3BBAC1F42BF0

The attribute exists and had to have been carried over from the extracted zip file downloaded from chrome

3. Remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute from your openarena-0.8.8 folder and subfolders:
Code:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine openarena-0.8.8/

If you run the xattr -l again it should be empty this time and if you run a permissions check the @ should be gone.

Now openarena runs as intended.

Apparently this is part of a security feature in Sierra. Can read more about it here:
http://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

So, if you don't remove the attribute, the game is run from a different (temporary?) location, where it has got read-only permissions (and hence, OpenArena cannot run)?
Fortunately, it managed to create that crashlog.txt anyway, which gave you some clue.

The attribute exists and had to have been carried over from the extracted zip file downloaded from chrome
Do you mean one could remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute from the ZIP file before uncompressing the package, and then it should not encounter the problem anymore?

From that page you linked, it seems the easier workaround is to uncompress the game from the zip and then MOVE its folder somewhere else (under /Applications, but even anywhere else). Did I understood correctly?

How many different ways are they using to prevent people from running the software they want?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:42:18 AM by Gig » Logged

Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

So, if you don't remove the attribute, the game is run from a different (temporary?) location, where it has got read-only permissions (and hence, OpenArena cannot run)?
Fortunately, it managed to create that crashlog.txt anyway, which gave you some clue.

From my understanding when running OpenArena.app (with the attribute) it creates a read only disk image in the path referenced from the crashreport.txt. So it's my assumption that since ONLY the OpenArena.app got copied to the temporary disk image it created it could not find the needed baseoa folder that contains all of the game pk3s.

Do you mean one could remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute from the ZIP file before uncompressing the package, and then it should not encounter the problem anymore?

I just tested this to confirm. Yes this method does work. Only the chmod +x step would need to be ran afterward

From that page you linked, it seems the easier workaround is to uncompress the game from the zip and then MOVE its folder somewhere else (under /Applications, but even anywhere else). Did I understood correctly?

That is my understanding as well. I just tested two ways:
-Extracted openarena-0.8.8.zip into the ~/Downloads folder. Then MOVED the extracted openarena-0.8.8 folder to my Desktop. Upon MOVING it the attribute is gone.
-Extracted openarena-0.8.8.zip into the ~/Downloads folder. Then MOVED the extracted openarena-8.8.8 folder to Applications. Upon MOVING it the attribute is gone.

After that just the chmod +x step needs to be ran.
skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 04:25:59 AM »

xattr -r -d command works , now the game is able to run! See the attached screenshot. It's a different version than the one i used to run on previous Mac Os versions, it's like there is some mod running. Also the brightness of the menu seems very low.

Do you know where to find and how to run the classic maps like this one http://www.thule.it/images/oaney.png Huh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqsegzq8sr6wojc/Schermata%202017-02-03%20alle%2011.21.34.png?dl=0

thanks!  Wink
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:34:19 AM »

Your screenshot is showing the usual OA 0.8.8 main menu. What's the problem?
Maybe in your previous installs you were using the old 0.8.5 (blue interface but with a different backgound, and with a red console[1]) or 0.8.1 (with a red interface and red console)?

The map you are referring to is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Wrackdm17]WRACKDM17, which is an official 0.8.x map. You should find it listed in Single Player -> Skirmish menu (or Multiplayer -> Create menu), in gametypes like "Free For All" (that will not be proposed in gametypes like CTF). Or you can launch it from console using /map wrackdm17 command.
For the list of "current" OA maps, you can give a look here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps - Some old maps are currently available only through the console: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Cut_Content#Maps

PS: Are you Italian? Both me and Jackoverfull are Italian...

PPS: Did you already try to change brightness from the GUI or from Console?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Brightness

[1] Due to a very little bug, OA 0.8.5 showed "OAX" instead of "0.8.5" in lower right corner of main menu.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:42:54 AM by Gig » Logged

skiso
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

Your screenshot is showing the usual OA 0.8.8 main menu. What's the problem?
Maybe in your previous installs you were using the old 0.8.5 (blue interface but with a different backgound, and with a red console[1]) or 0.8.1 (with a red interface and red console)?

The map you are referring to is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Wrackdm17]WRACKDM17, which is an official 0.8.x map. You should find it listed in Single Player -> Skirmish menu (or Multiplayer -> Create menu), in gametypes like "Free For All" (that will not be proposed in gametypes like CTF). Or you can launch it from console using /map wrackdm17 command.
For the list of "current" OA maps, you can give a look here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps - Some old maps are currently available only through the console: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Cut_Content#Maps

PS: Are you Italian? Both me and Jackoverfull are Italian...

PPS: Did you already try to change brightness from the GUI or from Console?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Brightness

[1] Due to a very little bug, OA 0.8.5 showed "OAX" instead of "0.8.5" in lower right corner of main menu.

yes i think i've played a previous version before and i was not used to this.  thanks for all the help!
ps: yes italiano ciao Grin
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »

Just installed Sierra and tried launching my copy of OA, works fine here Smiley

Didn't try from the repackaged, version, though…Would take a couple of hours to download it!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: