Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Os Sierra  (Read 44046 times)
SirOddspodge
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

Linux, Assimilate or (be)Exterminate(d)

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »

When I first tried out OA, It was on an old machine (eMac) running an old system (10.5.6) Ran beautifully, Later I tried to run it on my slightly less fossilized machine (1st gen intel MacBook) on pretty much the same system (10.6.8 ), Didn't work, So With my 2002+ Macintosh/OS X experience, I figured it was an issue with architecture (CPU), That was not the problem, So I compared the File systems on both machine's internal Hard-drives, The eMac was using an older FS, The macbook was using a Crappy New one, So I formatted an FDD with Fat32, Moved the OpenArena folder there, Run it out of that, Finally ran, And much better than before, I would suggest formatting an FDD with Fat32 or something, (Also tried this on a sierra-running machine, Worked just as well)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:05:41 AM by SirOddspodge » Logged

# Kill Bill...
# Because in a world without Walls or Fences,
# We have no need for Windows or Gates.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »

That's pretty odd, given that there hasn't been a new Apple FS until this year, definitely not on 10.6.

However, perhaps you were using Case sensitive HFS+? A lot of applications have issues with that one and it's intended only for kernel development.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 07:16:56 AM »

Strange, usually the tricks to allow OpenAena to run on OSX include setting correct file attributes and allowing unsigned apps (see (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#Mac
and (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac).. maybe the OS skips some checks, if the file is on a filesystem that does not support the required file attributes at all? Just trying to guess..

PS: FDD? Floppy Disk Drive? :-/

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 07:29:28 AM »

No, it might easily be a problem of case sensitiveness: traditionally on macOS and Windows UPPERCASE and lovercase fine names doesn't really matter for applications, but there i an option in macOS to have a case sensitive file system where "file" is different from "FILE".

As OpenArena also run on Linux, where case sensitiveness is normal, this shouldn't happen, but I guess it's not impossible it does, as almost nobody uses macOS on a case sensitive FS.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: