Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backporting "tabbed folders for console output" (filter messages) feature?  (Read 6996 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: January 15, 2018, 02:53:01 AM »

I noticed that ryvnf (also known as Commie or Saminuorra), thanks to help by L0neStarr (mentioned as author of "fx3" engine ---I haven't found it, I don't know if it is another ioquake3 fork or what---), has just implemented a nice feature in his ''yu engine'' (ioquake3 fork aimed for OpenArena): tabbed folders in console.

They found a way to optionally separe chat from other messages: as you can see in the video he posted here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WVBsIssrY (and explained in its readme here: https://github.com/OAGuild/yuengine/blob/master/README.md)
at the bottom of the console there are four "tabs": all, sys, chat, tchat. Switching to another "tab" ("all" is the default), he can activate a filter, showing only the kind of messages he wants.
This seems very useful to re-read chat messages, without having to dig in the sea of other notifications.

Maybe you may wish to backport such feature into the official OpenArena engine? Just an idea...
I suppose that shouldn't bee too hard, although maybe one may have to pay some attention to the fact that code may include support for some other console changes previously made by yu engine, that are not required.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:06:58 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

Yeah, that's the reason why I do not propose to backport many of the "yu engine" changes, but only those that I have the impression that may actually be useful. Wink (imho of course)
In this case, I thought the problem of chat messages "lost" in the sea of notifications was a long-term problem already discussed before (I haven't searched for it now), so I wanted to let users know that someone tried a working approach on it, maybe it may have been interesting.

I know that much of what is written in the "idea pit" will never be actually included in the official game, but also good things came out from it. Smiley

In theory, mentioning an idea should trigger multiple "good idea/useless idea/bad idea" reactions from various users, allowing to more or less understand if something is believed useful or not by the community... unfortunately the forum feels so lonely... Sad
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:45:17 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: