Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New map (CTF layout)  (Read 21841 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

does not support that kind of logic...
Angry

A simple "shoot a ton of rockets at him" then, these respect the friendly fire setting AFAIK.

BFG can be placed in a deep well, deep enough that anyone grabbing it will start drowning before getting to the surface.
make large underwater ceiling with a single breathing hole in the center (barred!) and the button shooting a bunch of rockets from the well's edges and impacting around that hole.

Ooor, someone can simply stand above the hole and wait for the bfg seeker to appear there, seeking the sweet air Evil

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »

Hi Neon,

the fix for BFG cell: Change the sides of the door brush with caulk texture. see on my sample map...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:42:42 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »

Anything to say about the newer version of the map? ...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »

First thoughts:
- Nice, but maybe you did scale it down too much? When you are on the lower floor and jump, you bump your head against the upper floor!
- Look at the attached screenshot: if I'm here and I have to reach the red base (on the right), if I wish to use the upper floor the path is WAY longer than using the lower floor. What about adding a jumppad on the right, to invite te to use the upper floor?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

Anything to say about the newer version of the map? ...

yeah Dude nice work the size fits perfectly like a ass on a bucket (old german saying for some stuff that is tide together like hell). so stay with the size do not mess around its just perfect. Smiley

okay here the stuff you shall work out: I noted the jumppads (at main or center room with the pool) from the ground to the side plattform are to close. If come from a bad angle you stuck on the upper edge of the plattform what is in my opinion a pain in the ass regarding the gameflow. try to move them a little away from the wall and give some more space for landing on the top if possible. Maybe think about teleporters but to have jumppads would be actually nice.

What about the underwater world ... what do ya think about my underwater concept on my sample map?
If ya like I can create some underwater plants to place them there. Ya know I like fancy, shiny stuff the Q3 engine is able to do.... Cheesy

EDIT: I forgot for your lights would be nice to add some visible light sources like a lamp, light beam or else..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:45:45 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

yeah Dude nice work the size fits perfectly like a ass on a bucket (old german saying for some stuff that is tide together like hell). so stay with the size do not mess around its just perfect. Smiley
Uh? Do you mean you like to bump your head on the roof when you jump? :-/

Of course, if you think x and y sizes are ok, you can just adjust z...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:56:27 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

Uh? Do you mean you like to bump your head on the roof when you jump? :-/

Of course, if you think x and y sizes are ok, you can just adjust z...

No, I do not like to bumb my head on the ceiling because that hurt awful  punched ...

but think about that: the small section with the low ceiling is like a natural chokepoint, that avoid jumping in that special zone of the map.
It force the player to choose a different route at the upper floor to make a full jump movement back to the other base. This can make the gameplay more advanced and brakes up a boring only jump CTF map.

EDIT: It would be nice to have a jumppad get a fast access to the upper path at the flagg room and previous room Gig is pointing. So as a bypass for the "lower chokepoint"

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:18:38 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »

With the new size, the jumppads in the central area may be unnecessary, but I still want a connection between both floors in the central area. I'll see what can I do. Also the problems Gig mentioned.

The underwater layout will definitely be changed. Mostly because the engine renders the central area from the bases, which is something I don't want to happen.

We all love the fancy stuff. :3 But the layout must be finished first, once all the problems inherent to it with at least CTF are solved then we can start thinking about the details. Smiley

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »

sorry made a wrong instruction to fix the BFG basket....

indeed I have reduced the thickness and put the same texture on the backside of the doors.
You have put nodraw but the texture you have choosen on the front is visible from one side only.

You can do it like described above, but if you want to stay with your idea, here is another posibility....:

Take the shader file at my attachement and put it on your scripts folder of your mapping environment.
Open the shaderlist.txt file (also inside scripts) with an texteditor and insert a new line with neon_knight.

Restart Radiant and open up your map and simply replace the texture at front of the doors with the new texture given at nk_sfx/forcefield
It is visible from both sides.

Do not forget to put the shader file also to the map pk3 file (scripts folder) otherwise the map will not know the texture.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:25:58 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 01:23:39 AM »

I haven't checked in the editor how those energy doors are made... however, in case they have one visible side and "nodraw" on the others, what about specifying "cull none" in the shader of the visible side?

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »

I haven't checked in the editor how those energy doors are made... however, in case they have one visible side and "nodraw" on the others, what about specifying "cull none" in the shader of the visible side?

You are right thats the problem.

A smart way to fix it creating a different shaderfile with same texture but cull none parameter added. Thats what is inside my attachment.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: