Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generated maps - PoC 1  (Read 9438 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »

I have made a small proof of concept for a program that are able to generate random space maps.

At the moment it just generates a number of platforms in space and everything including player spawns needs to be added manually.

I never expect to reach a point where no post processing are completly unnecessary (some polish will always be needed). I do hope to get to a point where it is not technically necessary.

Of course these maps does not have the same quality as hand crafted maps but they can be generated bigger. A problem that OA has (and vq3 had it too) is that there are no FFA maps for 10+ players.

This is an example of some platforms generated:

Current parameters:
Code:
./sago-map-generator-one --help
Options:
  --version               Print version information and quit
  -h [ --help ]           Print basic usage information to stdout and quit
  -o [ --output ] arg     Output file
  --unitSize arg          Unit size. All other coordiantes are multiplied by
                          this. Default: 16
  --minSize arg           Minimum platform size. Default: 20
  --maxSize arg           Max platform size. Default: 50
  --maxPerLayer arg       Max number of platforms per layer. Default: 10
  --numberOfLayers arg    Number of layers. Default: 5
  --platformThickness arg How thick the platforms are. Default: 1
  --minX arg              Min X coordiante. Default: -100
  --maxX arg              Max X coordiante. Default: 100
  --minY arg              Min Y coordiante. Default: -100
  --maxY arg              Min Y coordiante. Default: 100
  --texture arg           The texture to use. Default: e7/e7bricks01
  --seed arg              Set the seed for the random generator. Must be an
                          integer. This is implementation defined.

The code can be found here: https://github.com/sago007/sago-map-generator-one
A Windows version can be downloaded here: https://github.com/sago007/sago-map-generator-one/releases/download/v0.1.0-alpha/sago-map-generator-one-1.zip

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »

Interesting. jack_thompson, a long time ago, also did a map generator, but with regular maps.

Speaking of which, what about Akom74's oa_cargo and oa_gateway? They seem to be big enough to hold 16 players.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

@Neon_Knight
Do you have a link to that generator?

It can theoretically be done for all maps. I just started with a space map because it was the simples to show the idea.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

I do remember (unfortunatelly I can't recall its name) a q3 map generated randomly, made by countless square blocks of different sizes. It was floading on a light blue sky background, IIRC. The author however specified he had to manually add some stuff to actually make it playable.

It was cool enoguh, but hard for performances due to its very high number of polygons, which were almost always drawn, basically being a "floating" map.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:40:13 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

Found it. The original link is dead, but Google told me that it's now here: http://aa2map.sourceforge.net/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »

Found it. The original link is dead, but Google told me that it's now here: http://aa2map.sourceforge.net/

Also that is insteresting. I remember seeing that page before, but I don't remember if I actually tried that example map or not.

However, that seems a bit different thing than the one from Sago: it looks like that in "ascii art to map" you still somehow have to "design" your map, even if this is done by using a 2d ascii "drawing" of its design, that the program will convert to a 3d map...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:26:45 PM »

I do remember (unfortunatelly I can't recall its name) a q3 map generated randomly, made by countless square blocks of different sizes. It was floading on a light blue sky background, IIRC. The author however specified he had to manually add some stuff to actually make it playable.

It was cool enoguh, but hard for performances due to its very high number of polygons, which were almost always drawn, basically being a "floating" map.

Found it: Lun3DM5 - You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
http://lunaran.com/page.php?id=218

A modern PC can handle it perfectly, however take a look to it doing "/devmap lun3dm5" and then "/r_showtris 1"!!!

PS: @Sago or @Fromhell: do you think it may be possible to make "r_bloom" do not apply to r_showtris wirefames? Each time I want to try r_showtris, I have to disable bloom because of it being too bright!

PPS: reading that map description, it looks like that however the human decided the map design, although the "blocky work" was made procedurally...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:52:51 PM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

That's a neeat idea.  There was a point in time Oblige could generate Quake .maps (as in the first game) which can lead to OA maps with some reworking (though oblige is only a single-player map generator with internal fight simulation with monsters and paths for keycard-based level progression)

I've only used it to prototype early, early rough draft monster entity code.

PS: @Sago or @Fromhell: do you think it may be possible to make "r_bloom" do not apply to r_showtris wirefames? Each time I want to try r_showtris, I have to disable bloom because of it being too bright!

no
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:15:42 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:58:01 AM »

I did look at the aa2map program before starting. I also played with the idea to construct a prefab map combine it with a map from Tiled so that each tile in Tiled would be a 256x256x256 prefab. However while looking into the space generator I realized that brushes in radiant are represented by faces and not vertices which makes splitting it a lot less trivial.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: