Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A way to change console font size?  (Read 17012 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:58 AM »

Hello, everyone!
Considering the console text looks smaller and smaller as the screen resolution goes up, I was wondering if there is some way for users to set console font size to compensate it?
And if not, do you think it may be possible to add it?
I don't know if there is something about it in UI3, but it sounds like something for engine...

I possible, for both the "real" console and for the "console box" in the upper left corner while playing...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:53:27 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »

Maybe a cvar set to 1.0 by default, with 0.5 meaning half size, 2.0 double size, etc? Or specifying the font size in a more usual way, like 10 or 12 (pt)?
Or maybe even automatically adapt to resolution (may have some drawback?)?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:45:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:56:27 AM »

Let's try to bring some screenshot to better explain:
These screenshots have been taken with 0.8.8 Windows binaries.

Here we have "r_mode 3" (640x480) and "r_mode 8" (1280x1024), both showing in-game console feedback (upper left corner) and the "proper" command console.

Gamecode is 0.8.8 baseoa.

IMPORTANT: By uploading the screenshots to the forum, I realize seeing them here does not really give the right feeling about the smaller text, because the images are shown with the same DPI and the text looks like the same size.
You have to download them and view them FULLSCREEN to get the difference.
Then maybe it may be faster for you to open up the game and do some tests yourself...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:19:44 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:08:53 AM »

And now at FullHD (1980x1020) resolution, still baseoa.

I also add two screenshots taken from ":F ctf for GENIUSES" server (also known as "stupid ctf", which runs a mod known as "failsafe", IIRC... it downloads it in a mod folder simply called "CTF", which is not very wise IMHO), -in mode 3, 640x480- which shows that some mods did some change to the "console notification area" in upper left corner: in this case, they moved chat text and some other messages a little lower, and the rest of console notifications (on the top) have got a bit smaller font.

Considering this, than maybe we would need two different cvars, one engine-side to set the real "command console" font size, and one gamecode-side to set the "console notification area" font size (and that third party mods may simply ignore to avoid conflicts with their own HUD customizations).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:41:08 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »

the holidays are the best time for feature requests.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:39:30 AM »

the holidays are the best time for feature requests.
Every time is a good time for an improvement suggestion! Grin The "idea pit" section is here for that!  Smiley

The fact that during holidays people may have some more or some less time than usual to think about it, depends from person to person. Wink

UPDATE: In the screenshots in the above posts, probably the text from "failsafe mod" looks worse than the other screenshots at the same resolution due to that mod being based upon old 0.8.1, while later OA versions changed fonts to avoid the "blur" problems described in this old thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3187.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:53:44 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:05 AM »

I just noticed this changelog in a Quake3e release:
https://github.com/ec-/Quake3e/releases/tag/2020-09-21
Client: automatically rescale console chars height for resolutions greater than FullHD
I haven't tried it (so I don't know if it only applies to actual console or also to the console notification in upper left hud) and I would like to be able to enlarge fonts also at FullHD resolution (and btw I don't have a screen bigger than FullHD)... but it may give some hint about how to approach this matter.

Uhm... Looking at this commit https://github.com/ec-/Quake3e/commit/28b15cdee304da7d78e29bc207bafa34672011a2
it looks like that change is quite small, so probably they had already implemented a way to scale console fonts, and this commit only applied an automation to it.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 11:40:55 PM »

Quake3e just updated their code: while before they automatically scaled up console font to resemble the text size of FullHD in case your resolution was higher than that... now, also considering that at fullhd the text was already quite small, they replaced that mechanism with a cvar (con_scale) which allows users to set their own scale, if they want to enlarge (or shrink, I guess) console font.
(Commit and see their github issue for info).
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds nice.

As their project only aims at engine and not gamecode, their change only affects console and not the text in the upper left corner, anyway it may give some hint about how to create our own version, possibly for both console and in-game, maybe something like com_textScale?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:26:00 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: