Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rotating Skybox  (Read 16146 times)
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 01, 2007, 10:42:37 AM »

How do I make a rotating skybox?

Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

Same way as this: http://q3radiant.planetquake.gamespy.com/rotatingbrushes.htm

That site has awesome tutorials by the way.

Heres the main tutorial page for anything you can pretty much think of: http://q3radiant.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials.htm

Hell, I'll probably try it on the oadm17ish map and see how it looks, by the way, make sure your skybox is a perfect square or near perfect, if its a rectangle it'll collide with the other brushes most likely.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:32:55 PM by Malikith » Logged

Support Open Source Software!

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

-- Running Fedora Core 6 X86_64 --
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »

Hmmm, I just tried it and it didn't rotate the skybox and the sky texture was gone, let me know if you have any luck with it, if not, theres probably another way its done.

Support Open Source Software!

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

-- Running Fedora Core 6 X86_64 --
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »

Rotating a skybox is totally different from rotating a brush I guess. You cant use an origin brush in a sky box.

Something to do with tcmod scroll I think.

edit: I think skyboxes can be rotated, let me try.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:30:52 PM by baronofhell » Logged
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »

Anybody? Sad
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 10:51:40 PM »

What are you going after?  "Rotating Skybox" isn't exactly clear.  My first guess as to "Rotating Skybox" would be to select all of the brushes in your sky box and choose arbitrary rotation in the editor, though I am fairly certain that is not what you mean.

Now if you want a rotating Sky that is an entirely different tomato, usually solved with the "tcmod rotate" shader parameter.

baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »

I dont want to rotate all the brushes in the map. I want to rotate the skybox slowly to simulate moving clouds or stars etc.

can you give a shader example?
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:55:09 AM »

Sorry to bump this one up, but any ideas, anybody?
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »

To my knowledge it's not possible to get the entire skybox image to rotate, even through the use of shaders. If you want scrolling clouds, then they are added to the sky shader as a cloud layer and given a tcmod scroll value.

Please see the Quake III Arena Shader Manual for more details: http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/

However, you can do some interesting things via the portalsky functionality that ydnar added into Q3map2. Essentially you create a hollow cube of equal dimensions, build whatever you like in it, and place a _skybox entity at the center of it. Then texture the sky from the rest of your map with any sky shader you like. Q3map2 will automagicly turn the areas of your map textures with the sky shader into a portal that looks into the skybox you created and also scales it up by quite a lot (8x iirc).  You could for example make a load of rotating autosprites to represent stars and have them spin around in your skybox.

Warning: Do NOT put patches inside the skybox unless you are willing to use the -patchmeta bsp switch to force all the patches in your level to become solid geometry.

Please see the Q3map2 Wikibook for more information: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2

Hope that helps.

Top 5 tunes last week:
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »

Thanks! I'll check the links.
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »

I was able to make the portal sky work but I dont know what auto sprites are or how to use them to rotate the skybox.

Do you have an example or can you point me to some examples?

Cheers!
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »

Depends on the exact thing you're trying to achieve. Havn't got time now as I'm getting ready for tonight's speedmapping session on map-center. Stop by on irc, irc.quakenet.org #map-center and have a chat.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: