Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This Quad glow method looks nice  (Read 9217 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:24 AM »

I saw https://youtu.be/bK8j6GBQBYw?t=557
Seems like pure environment mapping + texture scroll but looks damn nice. Kiss

I wonder if something similar could be implemented but with alpha testing instead of blending, so the glow shell is opaque in spots.
Also, the normals projected to uv could be also rotated and undulated, not just scrolled.  Roll Eyes

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »

We've already got a quad shell similar to that.

Giving it an alphatest blend would make it slower actually.  3D hardware since 2002 perform an internal shader to accomplish that.  In addition, deformVertex normal is quite slow when applied to models.  Q3 only ever used them on flags to make the environment map glow move from the vertex waving. deformVertex normal's even slow with subdivided flat surfaces on maps so I can't really use them for water either (despite 3d games as far back as 1996 doing it with no sweat *cough*Wave Race 64*cough*)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:35:48 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

I saw https://youtu.be/bK8j6GBQBYw?t=557
Seems like pure environment mapping + texture scroll but looks damn nice. Kiss

I wonder if something similar could be implemented but with alpha testing instead of blending, so the glow shell is opaque in spots.
Also, the normals projected to uv could be also rotated and undulated, not just scrolled.  Roll Eyes

Is there a screenshot available (or at least a specific time)?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »

That link should bring you at 9:17 (557 seconds, as specified in the link). At 9:18, the player activates Quad. Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »

That link should bring you at 9:17 (557 seconds, as specified in the link). At 9:18, the player activates Quad. Smiley

Hey thanks, it somehow didn't work the first time (perhaps a bad internet connection).
It looks nice, but nog that much of a difference towards the current one (except the scrolling part).

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: