Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to spot a cheater?  (Read 9175 times)
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 27, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »

First off thanks for answering my many noob questions, you all are very helpful  Smiley

There is that one player that doesn't seem to miss and always knows where to aim. His score per minute (from Gametracker) is 10. Taking into consideration the server is modded and the players have all the weapons available to them all the time, that score is still way higher then any of the other players.

My question is: has anyone come up with a way to tell if someones cheating?(using an aimbot?)

I don't want to ban someone if they're just really, really good and I don't want to make accusations unless I know something is rotten in Denmark so to speak lol.

Would love to see some discussion from players on this subject as well.

thanks guys!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:39:50 AM »

I'm not an expert about the topic.
As a starting point, I would suggest to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Spectate]spectate him and to register DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Demos]a demo, to observe his mouse movements more closely to see if they feel unnatural, to see if he fires with precision when his opponents aren't yet visible behind walls, etc...
I can guess that a good cheat system may warn him about being spectated... but in that case, if he stops cheating when being spectated, I suppose his frag rate should go down...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:43:59 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »

I did this yesterday and recorded a few demos but I really can't tell. I don't suppose someone has a demo(s) of someone using an aimbot that I can look at and make a comparison.

Years ago I watched a video of a different game and it looked like the player could see thru walls and a box was around all the players so it was really easy to shoot them. Does that seem like the same thing? Also read here that it will aim for you (I don't think thats what this guy is doing, he does miss sometimes)

I also would like to ask what would people do if they think someone is cheating? I would think if they're willing to go to this extent, they can figure out how to get around a ban and or do something to mess up the server in retribution like a ddos attack or something.

Also like to add something I noticed his /rate was at 25000. That's what most of the players use. Seems like an experienced player would use a higher rate.

Any suggestions?

thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:26:39 PM by Aileras » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:12:54 AM »

Also like to add something I noticed his /rate was at 25000. That's what most of the players use. Seems like an experienced player would use a higher rate.
For broadband internet connections, having rate set to 25000 (bytes-per-second, which should roughly be equal to 200000 bits-per-second) is normal, I think. Effective rate will however be subject to sv_maxrate, too.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:21 AM »

The rate for this server is 64000 so that's what I use. I'm not sure if it actually helps but I like to tweak things a bit.

I did a google search and found some old videos of cheats and I think if this person is using one, it's a wallhack, but for all I know he is just really good.

I know I've been accused of using hacks in the past just because I win a lot, so I'm not going to throw accusations around.

thanks  Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:18 AM »

The rate for this server is 64000 so that's what I use. I'm not sure if it actually helps but I like to tweak things a bit.
Some times I had the impression the rate was hard-limited to 25000, but I think somewhere it was mentioned that the hard-coded limit was something like 90000.

In my tests from some years ago I wasn't able to go over 25 KB/sec for UDP download. IIRC, setting a lower rate or sv_maxrate caused the download speed go down, but setting an higher rate and sv_maxrate did NOT cause the download speed to go higher than 25 KB/s.
But it's possible that the hard-coded upper limit for UDP download is different than the hard-coded upper limit for gameplay. I said this also because there is an "optimize for LAN" option (sv_lanforcerate, see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer/Advanced#Optimize_for_LAN]here) which in theory should ignore sv_maxrate and rate and make local clients go to 99999, even beyond the 90000 hard coded limit.... but unfortunately that option seemed to have no effect on UDP download speeds at all in my tests, while it would have been very useful.
I had no idea about how to test higher rate limit during gameplay, I only tested with autodownload, and that looked capped at 25 KB/s in my tests.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:35:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: