Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY THE **** DOESN'T KICKING WORK  (Read 14078 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: April 08, 2018, 03:23:18 AM »

So we got your usual arsehole in blue team playing for red team. Grabbing red flag and then just sitting there while we could do nothing, or pushing our teammates into the void, or even - creatively - standing up on the platform on ctf4ish and showering the red team in free railguns.

Search through http://chebmaster.com/_share/_stderr.txt for "FLAGDEFENDR RED T" and see for yourself.

Pay especial attention to this fragment: I clearly remember a vote "kick flagdefendr red t" that got like six or seven "Yes" in an instant and passed in two or three seconds.

^4BrandNew12_^5DEU^7 ^3called a vote.
Cheb^7 was railed by wsad^7
^1FLAGDEFENDR RED T^7 was gunned down by Salami Swami^7
^1(alPha)^7Bernie^4_Sanders^7 was electrocuted by ^4BrandNew12_^5DEU^7
Vote cast.
^5HOBO SEXUAL^7 was in the wrong place.
^4BrandNew12_^5DEU^7 was railed by ^7VEIL^7
^3Vote passed.
Cheb^7 ate ^4DingDingDing^7's rocket
^7^1FLAGDEFENDR RED T^7: ^2bye
^4DingDingDing^7 was in the wrong place.
^7^4MAD^2MAN^7: ^2bye
Salami Swami^7 was machinegunned by ^5HOBO SEXUAL^7
  ^4BrandNew12_^5DEU^7 ^3called a vote.
^1FLAGDEFENDR RED T^7 almost dodged ^4MAD^2MAN^7's rocket
^4BrandNew12_^5DEU^7 almost dodged wsad^7's rocket
Vote cast.
^7^1FLAGDEFENDR RED T^7: ^2hahahah
Vote already cast.

The problem is IT DID NOTHING! mad

WHY. Angry

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:18:32 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't know...
Were you using baseoa or that CTF "failmod" I see somewhere in the log? (In the last case, the error may probably be in the mod! e.g. That "console: ^3anti-winjoin system kicked in. ^7^1FLAGDEFENDR RED T^3 has been pushed back to blue!" line doesn't seem something from baseoa to me.).

Just a few thoughts:
- It looks like that was your own server, and you were playing in it... so -as a workaround- you may have kicked him directly (or even banned him). [UPDATE: No, it wasn't. My bad.]
- It looks like the console doesn't store the text of votes, so it's not possible to know what has been voted for exactly, especially in case the vote failed. Maybe a dev may modify the code to have the text of votes printed in console? I don't know if that would be an engine or gamecode change, probably gamecode...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:45:52 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »

>It looks like that was your own server,
Nope.  Lips Sealed It was "ctf F: for stupid".

>doesn't store the text of votes
Which is a damn shame.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »

Nope.  Lips Sealed It was "ctf F: for stupid".
Not sure about how to contact the devs of the mod running there...

Which is a damn shame.
I just opened an "issue" on Github: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/issues/23

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »

Nope.  Lips Sealed It was "ctf F: for stupid".
Not sure about how to contact the devs of the mod running there...
What about this? http://stupidctf.tk/ --> http://stupidctf.tk/contact
You may try that...

Which is a damn shame.
I just opened an "issue" on Github: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/issues/23
Maybe also printing something like "Vote passed. Yes: 5, No: 1, Null: 1, Required: 3" at the end may be useful... It has been mentioned in the same "issue"...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:22:53 AM by Gig » Logged

oab
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »

ye I was there

but note one

"kick flagdefendr red t"

it saw only kick flagdefendr (without the rest), kicking though playerid (number, etc) should work

callvote clientkick #somenumber
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »

It is MANY years I looked into it but I believe that the client numbers could originally be tricky as well.
I did a change in baseoa at some point, so that you always kick by id even if calling "kick somename".

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »

"kick flagdefendr red t"
it saw only kick flagdefendr (without the rest)
Uhm... maybe blank spaces in names do give some problems to the voting code?
Was it typed callvote kick flagdefendr red t or callvote kick "flagdefendr red t"?
I did a test yesterday and it looks like the game doesn't accept a callvote for a player name it doesn't find... but in my test I didn't use names with spaces (I just kicked a bot) and it was a local test with official 0.8.8 gamecode... while that server is using a mod based upon old 0.8.1 code, I think...

, kicking though playerid (number, etc) should work
callvote clientkick #somenumber
For knowing playerids, I think one should use /clients (from a client) or /status (from the server)...

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »

Ideally, kick should have its own GUI, like it is made in Ace of Spades where you also have to specify reason from a drop-down list: griefing, abuse etc.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »

I did a test yesterday and it looks like the game doesn't accept a callvote for a player name it doesn't find...
This is an OA feature. The game will look up the client id and do a clientkick behind the scenes. In fact OA validates all vote commands against a white list to protect against abuse and command injection.

For knowing playerids, I think one should use /clients (from a client) or /status (from the server)...
"/clients" is OA specific and does not exist in all mods. "/status" reports the wrong IDs once players start leaving and joining.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

"/status" reports the wrong IDs once players start leaving and joining.
Ugh! Really? That sounds bad! Are there plans for fixing it? Are there alternatives? Is it broken since q3a?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »

Ugh! Really? That sounds bad! Are there plans for fixing it? Are there alternatives? Is it broken since q3a?
Looked a bit at it again. It is not something I have looked at since 2009.

It does actually work. I don't know why I remembered differently.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »

Searching a bit around the Internet, I now know why I was confused.

I had read: https://www.quake3world.com/q3guide/voting.html
The page told players to use "/serverstatus" and those IDs are wrong. "/status" works but can only be called from the server.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »

Searching a bit around the Internet, I now know why I was confused.

I had read: https://www.quake3world.com/q3guide/voting.html
The page told players to use "/serverstatus" and those IDs are wrong. "/status" works but can only be called from the server.
If I understood correctly,
"serverstatus" (client-side command which also gives other infos about the server, such as map, gametype, dmflags... are those other infos buggy, too?) is actually broken and thus may give incorrect player IDs.
"status" gives correct IDs, but is server-side.
"clients" gives correct IDs and is client-side, but isn't supported by older gamecode.
Right?

I have not tried any of these today, I tried them years ago.

Note: Player IDs we are talking about here are small numbers, not to be confused with the complex client "GUIDs", right?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:14:32 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: