Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a good free forum site?  (Read 11434 times)
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 08, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »

I tried making a clan site on enjin, not realizing it would revert to basically useless after 17 days. Is there a good free one out there? Only need a forum, no bells and whistles.

Also I wanted to post the address as the motd which I kind of know how to do but I'm having a problem creating a seperate line. I get one long line that doesn't fit on the page. Looking for something like this:

Website address here
                       some other test here

something like that

Thanks Smiley  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:02:16 PM by Aileras » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:19:52 AM »

About the Message Of The Day, AFAIK there are:
- g_motd variable, which holds a single line of simple text, shown during map loading (very fast on modern PCs). It is advisable to stay within 43 characters.
- motd.cfg file, which shows a text for some seconds when players enter the match. It supports text colors (^1, ^2, etc) and multiple lines. It is advisable to stay within 40 characters for line and 18 lines (and remember that the message lasts for few seconds only).
I do not remember any special requirement to make the text go new line, just going new line in the file should be enough. In case it isn't, maybe Windows-style carriage return (CR+LF) would be required? But that would sound a bit strange, as usually Q3/OA work flawlessly also with linux-style carriage return (LF).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:11:34 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »

Thanks Gig,

I forgot to add that I don't have ftp access to the server, just /rcon commands.

I'm using "/rcon seta vg_motd" to enter the message onto the server. I was told that each % symbol means a line, but when I use it, I get a "." (period) instead. I'm not sure, maybe it's part of the mod the server uses. Does any of that make any sense? lol.

Also as far as the forum is concerned, it must have been I glitch. I was getting a "This module is not available, upgrade" message on everything including the forums. It seems to be working now, so all good there.

Thanks for the help Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:10:19 AM »

I'm using "/rcon seta vg_motd" to enter the message onto the server.
vg_motd? Do you mean g_motd?
I was told that each % symbol means a line, but when I use it, I get a "." (period) instead. I'm not sure, maybe it's part of the mod the server uses.
I don't remember anything about this "% for new line" thing, but of course there are still a lot of things I don't know. In case I type % in text chat, I get a period.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

For forums you can try smfforfree.com. I've used it for the old and defunct OpenArena Argentina, and aside of some limitations I had nothing to complain about.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: