Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is there a version of openarena that runs on dos/95?  (Read 8067 times)
BLuu
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 29, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »

I have a build I used for quake 3 a while back and was wondering if there was a version of openarena that runs on it. It is more than capable of running q3 and boots to either 98/95/3.1/dos from an array of 4 ide drives I have.

Tldr: is there a dos version of oa(I downloaded and tried all the builds on this site and none of them worked in dosbox)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:00:41 AM »

Probably you may to run OpenArena on Windows 9x (or 98-Me only?) by using the "deprecated" binaries you find in OA 0.8.1 package (so, you have them if you installed 0.8.1+0.8.5+0.8.8 patches, not if you downloaded 0.8.8 unified package), maybe with the help of KernelEx: http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/

I know Fromhell likes to support old systems... but even a DOS version of OA sounds a bit excessive to me...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:01:48 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »

KernelEx doesn't run on Win95.

The current OA release can't run on Win95 in any way. BUT!!!! It's possible to make a Win95* build from the latest code because I fixed the regressions involved!

1. Check this out
2. Grab wspiapi.h from the ReactOS tree and place it in code/qcommon
3. Make with Mingw/GCC 4.7.2

There! A working W95 build!

* - Win95 with IE3 and Winsock2 instlaled at the minimum. Win98/NT4/2000/ME need no prerequisites. No KernelEx neccessary.

as for DOS, it is possible but a little impractical when there's no software renderer, and the only accelerated option being a Mesa3D Glide driver.   I'd imagine it'd take a lot of patience to get it going on a DJGPP compile chain.  I can only see neozeed going through this big task.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:40:27 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: