Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Muliplayer games and server queries  (Read 13424 times)
Ginger_Overlord
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »

Hi,

Anyone still here?

Anyhoo, I haven't played OA for a very VERY long time and I've just downloaded it, trying to get into it again. I'm not seeing any multiplayer games, what am I doing wrong? The options are set to 'internet' but I only see one game running. Do I need to DL a server list or something?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

G_O
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 03:23:01 AM »

Since when there is a Discord server (see http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5287.0), much community activity happens on Discord (personally speaking, I use both but I still prefer the forum).

About your question, that seems a bit strange, unless it's just this: first thing I would suggest you is to check your firewall settings. The first time you open the game on Windows, a window should ask you if you wish to allow the program to use the network. Sonetimes that window becomes hidden behind the game window...

PS: inside the server browser,  you did try to stop the search and then refresh it, right?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:29:44 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »

You might try changing the other options under internet. For instance game type, seems like the most servers running now are under free for all and choosing another type, at least for me gets an empty server list.

just a thought Smiley
Ginger_Overlord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

Hi,

Windows Firewall doesn't appear to be blocking OA and I have adjusted all the settings in the game to allow me to see any multiplayer games that are running - but no luck, i'm completely stumped.

When I go to Multiplayer there is one game there called 'Jack's Excessive Insta' although this game seems to be full of bots (I was going to post a screenshot but I haven't a clue how you do that Roll Eyes). Other than downloading OA, unzipping it and playing it, should there have been something else I should have done?? I feel as though I have missed something...

Cheers.

G_O
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »

Can you actually connect to servers, specifying their address?
What about using a third party server browser (see (DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Server_browsers) such as qtracker?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Ginger_Overlord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »

Hi Gig,

Sorry to be a pain.

On multiplayer I've tried opening 'specify' and copied the address from http://openarena.ws/servers.html (the actual address I copied was '87.193.199.127:27961'). I then pressed back then refresh but nothing happened. Underneath the address area on the specify page it does mention Port: 27960, do I need to do anything with this?

qtracker? I've had a look at the page but I'm unsure what to do here. Is this something I need to download/buy?

Cheers for the continued help.

G_O
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »

Qtracker is a freeware software to install.

Claner page for the server list via web: http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena

You can also connect to a server from command console, using /connect ip:port command.

Did you try to temporarily disable Windows firewall?

Are you sure you are searching for gametype:all?

Ginger_Overlord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »

Hi Gig,

OK, I have Qtracker and I can see a whole load of OA multiplayer games. I've started OM but it's still doing that thing of only showing me 1 MP game (the one with a load of bots). What do I need to do at this point?

Regards,

G_O
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »

If you correctly set up qtracker (specifying your oa executable path), you should be able to connect to a server directly from qtracker, without passing through the in-game server browser (qtracker would invoke openarena.exe +connect server:port).

Note: iirc, right-click menu in qtracker is very important, as it has got commands such as search for servers and refresh...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:18:41 PM by Gig » Logged

Aileras
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »

Just a thought, I went to an excessive server once and after downloading the files it changed everything so I could only see excessive games. I had to delete everything and download OA again and it went back to normal. Its been a while so I'm not sure of the details exactly but thats the gist of it.

Also not sure how your entering the addresses, but you need to copy just the server address and enter the port number separately, there are 2 separate boxes for them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:13:20 PM by Aileras » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:42 AM »

Downloading stuff from badly configured servers may mess up your game, requiring you to manually do some cleanup, see: (DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems

The "specify" button in the GUI has got two fields for ip and port (27960 is default and can be omitted).
The command I told you is through the command console (command line interface)... (also in this case default port 27960 can be omitted). You can copy-paste server address into the console.

See also:
(DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer
(DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer/Advanced
(DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console

Ginger_Overlord
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »

Hi,

Sorry for getting back to you so late.

QTracker works great and I've once again been enjoying some much missed Open Arena action, thanks to you and the other folk here!

Just one thing, as a game finishes and I press 'T' to type in a message a default message saying "messagemodexp" is displayed instead. How do I get around this and type in my own message??

Many thanks.

G_O
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »

Just one thing, as a game finishes and I press 'T' to type in a message a default message saying "messagemodexp" is displayed instead. How do I get around this and type in my own message??
It looks like you messed up with the key binding of your T key. (see (DO NOT LINK)  h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Key_binding)

You can fix it by using the console (/bind t messagemode) or by using the GUI to Setup->Controls->Misc (you can assign again the T key to text chat... and you may also assign another key -e.g. Y- to Team Chat... in console it would be /bind y messagemode2, IIRC)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:11:29 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: