Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MIT license  (Read 8546 times)
meshomorph
Nub

Cakes -1

« on: March 02, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »

hi,

i was looking at the makehuman website...
http://www.dedalo-3d.com/index.php?par1=LXfPCgUBNogIrZTIpzFlI&sec=e24896b8fa7e7631b39dfef702abf7f3
...and it said the makehuman mesh was licensed under the MIT license.

i then went to the gnu website and checked the list of gpl compatible licences...
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
...where it mentioned the Expat License...

This is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license, compatible with the GNU GPL. It is sometimes ambiguously referred to as the MIT License.

so, am i right to assume it's ok to use makehuman meshes in character design for openarena?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:37:43 PM by meshomorph » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »

The makehuman license you are referring to is a copy of the GPL.

There are many MIT licenses (as mentioned on gnu.org) and maybe not all of them are freedom licenses or even fewer might be compatible with the GPL.

EDIT: I looked at the makehuman website and the MIT license they are referring to is GPL compatible (it allows relicensing under any other license).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:37:36 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
meshomorph
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:45:42 PM »

that's great news. i want to play around with character design and it would be nice to have a well proportioned model to use as a base.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »

Although, I wouldn't suggest you use MakeHuman for game modelling. As you will spend alot of time re-modeling it to reduce the poly-count.
meshomorph
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:00:22 AM »

kit89 - i understand what you're saying about it being hard to remodel, but i've thought of a way of doing it that should work. first i'd add a few levels of subsurf and apply it, this would give me a dense mesh with lots of vertices. then i'd start clicking on vertices that i wanted to use in a low poly game character. then i'd invert the selection so that the vertices i didn't want were selected and delete them. then i'd join up the remaining vertices into a low poly model.

there are some advantages to doing it this way.
-modelling a well proportion character is one skill, knowing how to make a low poly game character with edge loops is another. there might be some really good modellers who'd like to donate models to the game, but don't have a clue how to make an efficient game character. there could also be people who understand the mechanics of game characters, but aren't so good at getting proportions right. using this method the work could be split between the two.
-the base model can be re-used in the future to create higher poly models when required.
-if in future openarena switches to an engine that supports normal mapping, like xreal or evolution, then the subsurfed model could be used to generate normal maps for the low poly game characters.
-subsurfed models could be used to render realistic images for publicity media. posters, adverts, game box covers etc. i know openarena doesn't have this level of publicity yet, but it might happen in the future.

i don't know how well my explanation comes across, so i'm thinking of doing a little tutorial to show what i mean.
meshomorph
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:16:12 AM »

i've posted a demo of what i was talking about here...

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=544.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: