Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commands to drop currently held rune and currently held weapon  (Read 8251 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: December 02, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »

This is a notable pair of absences.

The runes' equivalents in other games (Q2CTF/Q13WCTF runes and UT99 relics) had keybinds which could be assigned so players can throw the currently held rune for a teammate. This was a common thing in teamgames where runed were battled. This is solved with a dropRune command which can be assigned to a key.

As for the weapons? In Team Deathmatch games, at least, throwing a weapon was useful so a teammate who didn't had one didn't had to wait until the weapon itself respawned (from looking at the code, I saw that the weaponspawn time for weapons was longer than in other gamemodes). This feature was also present in other AFPS games, most notably the Unreal series. This is solved, also, with a dropWeapon command which can also be assigned to a key.

I don't think these binds have a significant impact on the way the game is played, however the question is: does this fall in NOTTODO territory?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »

M2C are that they can be okay as long as there is a server cvar to allow or disallow it. The cvar may even be a bit field which with different values may allow players to drop other items, even flags, if you wish. But IMHO that should be disabled by default, for the general rule of not altering the original Q3A/TA gameplay. This is just my opinion, of course...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:19:50 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »

I have so far tried to avoid adding new key mappings for in game behavior. Not just due to the large work of adding key binds to the UI.

I believe additional key binds adds to the entry barrier to the game. I think that is bad. I cannot confirm my suspicion as I cannot try the game for the first time again but I notice many modern games with the problem.

Of course if most mods have it anyway then the bind could be added, so that it would get replicated to the initial configuration.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »

Adding the link to github conversation: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/pull/37

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »

Test pk3 for "droprune": https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405518544382590987/675339088877846548/z_oax_v2.pk3

My point stands: I'm not saying that every keybind must be there, but the absence of some of them such as dropweapon and droprune when every other major multiplayer AFPS not named Quake III Arena (and even the most important online mods for the game which aren't called "Defrag") had them is jarring and makes the game to feel incomplete. It was something acceptable in the past, but not in present times.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: