Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: subsurf model to game model  (Read 7668 times)
meshomorph
Nub

Cakes -1

« on: March 03, 2007, 04:14:50 AM »

hello, this is an idea i've had for making a game model from a subsurfed model. i've provided some images to show what i mean.

1. this is a headmodel from makehuman, with 1713 vertices.
2. this is the headmodel with two levels of subsurf applied, taking it to 26,853 vertices.
3. this is what the headmodel looks like in edit mode. there are plenty of vertices to choose from to make a low poly game model from.
4. as a quick demonstration i'll just do some work on the nose. i've selected a few vertices that i want to use in my low poly game model.
5. i've inverted the selection so that the vertices i don't want to keep are selected, these will now be deleted.
6. after deleting the unwanted vertices i join the remaining vertices together to make a low poly nose.

this is a very quick demo of what i'm trying to do and i don't really know too much about how much detail i should have in a game character, but it demonstrates quite nicely how a low poly game model can be made from a high poly model.

there are some advantages to doing it this way.
-modelling a well proportion character is one skill, knowing how to make a low poly game character with edge loops is another. there might be some really good modellers who'd like to donate models to the game, but don't have a clue how to make an efficient game character. there could also be people who understand the mechanics of game characters, but aren't so good at getting proportions right. using this method the work could be split between the two.
-the base model can be re-used in the future to create higher poly models when required.
-if in future openarena switches to an engine that supports normal mapping, like xreal or evolution, then the subsurfed model could be used to generate normal maps for the low poly game characters.
-subsurfed models could be used to render realistic images for publicity media. posters, adverts, game box covers etc. i know openarena doesn't have this level of publicity yet, but it might happen in the future.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:17:02 AM by meshomorph » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: