Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I re-release my map as open source?  (Read 11823 times)
whitewolf
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 30, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »

I have recently posted a map for jedi academy, and have decided to try to re-release it as GPL if possible. It uses only custom textures, almost all of which I have created, no models from that game, and CC music. This was done purposely so I could easily port the map to other games, ie. nexuiz or openarena. But I am not sure if I can re-release my map as GPL, or if this is frowned upon. (music would be changed of course). The map doesn't resemble the quake 3 style maps at all, except that it is non-linear and fairly symmetrical, and has a vague arena feel. I certainly dont expect for it to make it into a release, its way too different, but I thought it might be nice to let you guys have some fun with it anyway, as an oddity or something.
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Spacefighter_Factory_Project_Shadow_Streak;85883

Thanks in advance for any  advice...
whitewolf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:00:25 PM by whitewolf » Logged
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:28:19 AM »

Yes you can release your map under the GPL, just make sure if there are any other licences involved for either the textures or music they are either compatible with the GPL or replaced with textures that are compatible or content under the GPL.

rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:35:46 AM »

What kind of gameplay would this map be.  It looks rather large for OA.  The screenshots make it seem like a pretty big map.  The map does look good as a JKA map.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »

I have recently posted a map for jedi academy, and have decided to try to re-release it as GPL if possible.

What would stop you from dual licensing your own work?

It uses only custom textures

fine

almost all of which I have created

ok, but what about the ones you didn't create?

no models from that game

also fine

and CC music.

CC (any version) is not compatible with the gnu gpl (any version) with only one CC license, cc-sa 3.0, being considered a free license.  However as the music isn't linked in any real sense to the map there is nothing stopping you from distributing the music in the same pk3 as the map, you just have to remember to follow the terms of whatever licenses you choose to use.

But I am not sure if I can re-release my map as GPL, or if this is frowned upon. (music would be changed of course). The map doesn't resemble the quake 3 style maps at all, except that it is non-linear and fairly symmetrical, and has a vague arena feel.

There is nothing stopping you from dual licensing your map and your textures or even keeping the same license in a pk3 posted here for people to download and have fun playing against bots, on LAN, or for server admins to download and add to their servers.

I certainly dont expect for it to make it into a release, its way too different, but I thought it might be nice to let you guys have some fun with it anyway, as an oddity or something.
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Spacefighter_Factory_Project_Shadow_Streak;85883

Thanks in advance for any  advice...

Apparently, there is no art direction for this game (at least anyone asking for some clarity as to what the art direction is, is met with silence) so the map being different doesn't mean anything.

You can dual license your work if you want, but you don't have to just to share it, granted you'll have one or two that will whine about your choice of license but who cares what they think as it is your choice. Smiley

whitewolf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »

Thanks all. And let me clarify. The map is an arena, it was designed as one, its just a HUGE one. And it was not designed really, with very low end systems in mind. (although I will definately change it a bit to better suit the game, ie remove some of the more graphically intense bits like ships, change girder brushwork to  a shader with transparency) I mean, theres no way this is going to work on a 300mhz pc with 64 mb of ram. But I might make it a bit smaller for the port.

One of my issues was, in the original readme, I said this..
Use Of Textures: The author, whitewolf, grants you permission to use the
textures contained in the folders "rudolf_01", "rudolf_02"
and "rudolf_03" for any non-commercial project. These
textures have been made by me, and I reserve the right to
ask you to remove them from your project if I deem it to
be offensive. (use your common sense here.)......

Well I've changed my mind now, decided to just go plain GPL. But what happens when people see this old readme, and use the textures in their maps, but they
dont comply with the *new* now GPL readme? ie if they use the textures for their map but dont list the textures as GPL? I mean I dont really mind, but they would then be violating GPL.

And I also said this
THE AUTHOR OF THIS MODIFICATION, R.WENTZEL, RESERVES ALL RIGHTS TO THE ARCHITEXTURE/BRUSHWORK CONTAINED IN THIS MODIFICATION AND/OR CONTAINED IN THE FILE spacefighter_factory.bsp.
Now this is not really in the best interests of the community, and thats why I want to re-license. But because of this, do I then have to ask jk3files to take it down?

The music will have to go, I realise that.

Apparently, there is no art direction for this game (at least anyone asking for some clarity as to what the art direction is, is met with silence) so the map being different doesn't mean anything.
Well if you want to include it in a future release, then I'd be honoured, just watch out for the people who say..."you said the game works on a pentium 2 with 64mb ram, and then you went and included that huge...behemoth thing, and it doesnt work on my system!"

You've got a damn good thing going here so keep it up.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:56:06 AM »

One of my issues was, in the original readme, I said this..
Use Of Textures: The author, whitewolf, grants you permission to use the
textures contained in the folders "rudolf_01", "rudolf_02"
and "rudolf_03" for any non-commercial project. These
textures have been made by me, and I reserve the right to
ask you to remove them from your project if I deem it to
be offensive. (use your common sense here.)......

Well I've changed my mind now, decided to just go plain GPL. But what happens when people see this old readme, and use the textures in their maps, but they
dont comply with the *new* now GPL readme? ie if they use the textures for their map but dont list the textures as GPL? I mean I dont really mind, but they would then be violating GPL.

Not really, but if you are worried about it, don't use the gpl, use the isc.

And I also said this
THE AUTHOR OF THIS MODIFICATION, R.WENTZEL, RESERVES ALL RIGHTS TO THE ARCHITEXTURE/BRUSHWORK CONTAINED IN THIS MODIFICATION AND/OR CONTAINED IN THE FILE spacefighter_factory.bsp.
Now this is not really in the best interests of the community, and thats why I want to re-license. But because of this, do I then have to ask jk3files to take it down?

Why?  It is possible to have two different versions of a map licensed differently.

Well if you want to include it in a future release, then I'd be honoured, just watch out for the people who say..."you said the game works on a pentium 2 with 64mb ram, and then you went and included that huge...behemoth thing, and it doesnt work on my system!"

That's already been superseded, min RAM will be 128.

kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:05:03 AM »

Make sure it's all vis'd up, I still want to play on my iBook Smiley
whitewolf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 12:35:48 AM »

Since there have been no issues raised, I will go ahead and do it then. Thanks guys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: