Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Construct" Beta 2 *UPDATED*  (Read 18429 times)
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »

File here:

http://files.filefront.com/construct_b2zip/;7078856;/fileinfo.html

Ok, It's got a full set of weapons and items now. Bots are still suicudal however. I think at this point I'm going to have to make the choice of if it plays well enough against real people to forget about the bot problems.

The other alternative is to scrap the Low-G environment altogether and re-work it with some bridges and paths, essentially bringing it another step closer to being a DM17 clone. Hopefully I can beg the use of Akuma's server and get some people on there over the w/e to help me make that choice.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:59:09 AM by Amphetamine » Logged

Top 5 tunes last week:
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:54:30 PM »

Although only rail might be neat, you should add other weapons by default, after all, making it 'rail only' could always be configured by the server (Er, at least that's what I think, that was possible back in JO/JA).

I haven't tried it, but it looks frickin sweet man. Glad to have someone like you working on maps! Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:35 AM »

The bots fail. (Sugestions?)

That's because they went on strike, I just got a notice from their union rep. d-; 

Seriously, though, there is nothing in the level for the bots to go after, so they just stand there.  It's the same reason why bots just stand around in a "dumb" cube level that has nothing more than a spawn point.  Without powerups, weapons, ammo, health, etc. you will always get this behavior.

baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »

The textures remind me of a cake Smiley

on a serious note, looks pro.
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:24:38 AM »

The bots fail. (Sugestions?)

That's because they went on strike, I just got a notice from their union rep. d-; 

Seriously, though, there is nothing in the level for the bots to go after, so they just stand there.  It's the same reason why bots just stand around in a "dumb" cube level that has nothing more than a spawn point.  Without powerups, weapons, ammo, health, etc. you will always get this behavior.

If they stood still it wouldn't be much of an issue. They just hurl themselves into the void like lemmings as soon as they meet another player.

Anyway, I get the feeling that popular sugestion will be to ditch rail-only and go for a full (minus spam cannon) weapon set. That might make them play a little better.

Top 5 tunes last week:
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:51:13 PM »

I like it. I'm on an old rig using picmip 5 so structure is typicially more important to me than the shading.

The low gravity gets a little old, imho, and it is difficult to negotiate the platforms at 800 gravity. i don't know, could make the bounce pad strength variable to the gravity?

I'm also a great fan of the rocket launcher Smiley

cool map!
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 01:07:23 PM »

Anyway, I get the feeling that popular sugestion will be to ditch rail-only and go for a full (minus spam cannon) weapon set. That might make them play a little better.

OH NO!

The rail only is a great idea, and please don't change the gravity too.

tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »

yeah, on second thought, it might be a nice mix in map rotation to have some low_g

rl is must tho Grin
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »

I suggest you keep the gravity normal, then the server could change it themselves if they really wanted to, but hey it's up to you Cheesy

The server can change the gravity set by the map right?
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »

The server can change the gravity set by the map right?

/g_gravity

But if I made it for 800 and then the server set it to 100, all the jp's would be wrong, and the opposit is also true. You build a map around the gravity setting that you use, changing it at server level will just screw things up.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:02:42 PM »

Yeah I know about the command, I was wondering if it were possible to override a map's gravity setting, but now I know that's not necessarily a good thing. Well, could you make two versions then? I really think keeping it regular gravity would give a better feeling of standardization, don't get me wrong!, I don't mean you don't have the freedom to do whatever you want, after all, you're the mapper, it's up to you. But what I'm saying is, what if some people don't like the gravty? This whole great map would be ruined by something as little as that.

Also, don't mean to push you or anything but is this GPL'd? Didn't see any info on that, not trying to push you, since you already released some other ones, just wondering, this map looks GREAT!
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:56:43 PM »

Yes it will be GPL'd so you can put it in SVN, as well as having a stand-alone release through the regular channels. I'm defo making it a low grav map, I don't think it will work properly without it being such, because there's no "paths" to follow as such. I havn't built a low-g map before, so this will be a learning experience for me. Don't worry about the playability, I'll test and rebuild until the end of time if that's what it takes. That version of "The Strange House" had 6 public beta's before it got to that stage. I hope that this one will have less, I'm getting a lot of possitive feedback from all of the messageboards with regard to the look of it, which is nice.

Here's another screen to keep you drooling.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:59:51 AM »

*BUMP* New link and info in top post.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Gloom
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 09:33:39 AM »

Nice low G map
My only suggestion is it needs a set of wings just to deter the campers Smiley
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »

Running it on a server tonight. 9pm BST (GMT+1). If you want to play and help me test, meet us on irc.quakenet.org #map-center

Game will be Vanilla Quake 3 though because that's what's on the server.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Gloom
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »

Not sure I'd call this summer time yet but I'll try to make the 9pm spot as I like the map. pity about the bots doing lemming impressions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: