Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [wip] concept: penguin warrior  (Read 24746 times)
baconfish
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:56:47 AM »

Oh, look, it's not Tux.

I know there were some people who seemed interested in having a Tux character in the game, but I don't think it would work considering his shape. Additionally, I usually don't like to see Tux show up in open source games; it just seems... I don't know... tacky? I came up  with this instead. It's less "womg Linux!11" and pokes fun at Linux fans at the same time.

Basically we're dealing with a psychotic geek (possibly one who dislikes the Windows operating system for whatever reasons) in vest and bowtie. Oh, and a big penguin head. Sorry if you can't read the little notes I made, I was sketching this in the middle of a lecture so it was a bit rushed. By the way, his legs aren't cut off suddenly, I just wanted to illustrate the tails coming down from the vest.

I can model well enough, I guess. Texturing is a problem for me but I can still put something together if I have to. I absolutely suck at animating, so unless a kind soul is interested in helping I'll probably just use the bones and animation from grism.
baconfish
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 04:00:42 PM »

A bit of Blender...

Haven't started on the head yet, as you can see. It'll be tough, but fun. I've always had trouble with organics and humans, but being able to look at grism's mesh really helped. I've used the feet, hands, and part of the crotch directly, and the whole model for reference. Score for open source, I guess.
Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »

Oh noes! Its the psychopathic Linux zealot on crack!

This reminds me of some of the people I work with Wink

I like the idea...
baconfish
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »

Got the head in place. I'm interested in hearing comments before I start trying to unwrap it.
Blend

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »

Kinda reminds me of the Ninja Chicken from SS2.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »

looks promising :-)
Tribaal
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 07:03:11 AM »

Love it Smiley
Great idea!

"Software is like sex; It's better when it's free" - Linus Torvalds
DeathByGuitar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »

damn, i was hoping someone was gonna do a Tux model....any new model will be good. I think you should do Tux anyway. ;-)
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »

Can't you just use the Q3 Tux model?

...then again, Policount's content is down, so I guess it can't be reached.

*ROOOAAAR*
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »

Can't you just use the Q3 Tux model?

...then again, Policount's content is down, so I guess it can't be reached.

Don't forget about licensing...could be lots of conflicts there.

But I won't go there, just ask fromhell if you want to know...

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

baconfish
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 04:12:43 PM »

Hey, thanks for the support everybody! Last time I worked on this (around a week or two ago) I was making sure I could export it correctly and use it in game. Everything seems to work fine in that regard, except the the torso seems a little misaligned, and the weight painting needs alot of work (I did a really crappy job just looking at the grism skeleton without realizing that the arms and shoulders were actually seperate from the torso), and of course it needs a paint job. I've begun playing in picmip 7 so it doesn't bug me, but I'm sure you guys really care Tongue

Hopefully I can put a little time into it this week before I really have to start studying for finals.

EDIT: Licensing, yeah. As I understand the actual "Tux" penguin everyone knows (and some love) has some licensing issues.. or something. The important thing is that I'm not really a fan of it, and I can't see it not looking ridiculous (in a bad way) in OA. To be fair, though, I haven't seen the Q3 model. Maybe someone managed to pull it off; I'm no graphic designer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:14:42 PM by baconfish » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

There aren't "licensing" issues with Tux, there are trademark issues.

baconfish
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »

There aren't "licensing" issues with Tux, there are trademark issues.
Gah! Thanks for clearing that up :S
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »

I meant DeathByGuitar should use the Tux model if he wanted one, not that you had to use it as a base for yours.

Sorry Tongue

*ROOOAAAR*
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »

Some of the mascots would make cool models... but Linus would not look good in game, even with a viking hat.

baconfish
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »

I was actually happy with the progression of this thread before Torvalds-in-a-speedo came into play Sad
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 10:13:39 PM »

I did the Tux model back in 2001, and there's a few issues with it:

- it's modeled VERY badly. It's 900 triangles of welded sphere sweeteness.
- it's also uvmapped badly. looking at the texture sheet will make you go "WTF!!!"
- it's based on q3 botcode and animation.cfg
- he is VERY badly animated. his taunt key just puts his arms like "this is wide!" in front, like some subtle sexual innuendo or so
- it's unplayably tiny making games unfair
- he has no sounds anyway
- Texture is horrible
- "source" is in the horrible proprietary .ms3d format and takes tons of trial and error to compile
- he looks just like Tux.

I might redo him in a seperate "mascot pack" (seperate because of license clashing and trademark issues), but I haven't planned on it. As it stands, it's not worth having at all so a recreation.

Another person did a better Tux model in 2004, though he looks less Tuxy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:15:15 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »

I guess sticking to the "style" of a game isn't a bad idea. A tux that looks like tux is appropriate for a game where the players slide on their bellies down a snowy mountain, but I guess a tux for OA would be better off looking like tux from TUX:

http://www.commandprompt.com/TUX/zero/
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 02:18:21 AM »

I was actually happy with the progression of this thread before Torvalds-in-a-speedo came into play Sad

Glad to be of service Cheesy

baconfish
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »

Ok, so, it turned out a little crappily due to my lack of skill in modeling humans coupled with my total lack of understanding of Q3 asset creation. Seriously, the more I look for documentation the more depressed I get about it. I understand that the game is, what, almost ten years old? But it's ridiculous. I blame gamespy.

Here's the pak file. I don't have a great deal of space but if someone wants to have a look-see at the blend or xcf just let me know. I'd really like to see someone do a better job implementing the idea than I was able to.

As you may notice I also got a bit lazy with the texturing.

Also for some reason, and I haven't a single goddamned clue as to what that reason is, I can't get it to show up in the model selection screen. If for some reason you want to try it out, open the console and type "/model penguin".
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »

well, at least it could be a good start
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »

What about the .blend source files?

baconfish
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »

Found a bunch of crap from first year I could delete, uploading now.

Links should be Blend and XCF.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:13 PM »

His left arm is kinda crushed. At least the death animations are alright. The model appears in the menu after I repack it (weird)

Is the fullbright shader intentional? Maybe you've meant to do rgbGen lightingDiffuse?

mind if I commit this to the SVN and have it GPL'd? (It is based off grism after all)

baconfish
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »

Go for it.

I didn't actually use any shaders (not intentionally, anyways; I messed around with the other shaders when I had no idea what I was doing), just the single colour map. Actually, if you're going to put this in the repo, I should probably get around to actually shading the jeans. I really don't understand shaders very well. Any advice you have would be appreciated. I'd also like to know how you did the repacking thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: