Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dsi mappack idea  (Read 26790 times)
Eli
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 05, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »

Any mappers out there wanna work on an exclusively dsi texture mappack?  While the color scheme of the textures could be altered mappers would be forced to create good-looking levels using mainly geometry and simple style.  This textures are really awesome but lend themselves to a specific and unique art style.  If anyone wants to try this with me I guess we'll also need some relatively skilled texture artists to manipulate the dsi texture set.
http://www.evillair.net/v2/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=0&func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=13
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

Recently found this topic. -.-

This isn't a bad idea, indeed. In fact, the dsi texpack is already GPLv2 by way of Nexuiz.

One thing I've noticed is that the geocomp maps are main candidates to full compatibility with OA. This mappack idea may work not only for current OA versions but also for every OA version, and even for Q3, guaranteeing full compatibility in each game. Yes, I like this idea.

What do people think?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »

Use them and all other GPLv2 licensed stuff by nexuiz (like egyptsoc textures)!

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »

This is about one texture pack in particular. I'll do a simple, sample map as an example.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »

The url linked in the first post currently results "hacked"...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:52:14 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »

Website's hacked?

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »

An example of a map using the dsi texture set:
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:1342

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »

If i'm not wrong, in OA there aren't all DSI textures.... Huh....
Are them released under GPL ? (or GPLv2)

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »

Yeah, they're GPLv2 by way of Nexuiz. Though OA has some extra variations of those textures, mainly color edits.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »

I hate that damn gasmask symbol.  I associate it a lot with Nexuiz now, even with q3 maps that predated Nexuiz by several years.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

I hate that damn gasmask symbol.  I associate it a lot with Nexuiz now, even with q3 maps that predated Nexuiz by several years.

How about make your personal logo with this texture ?
(maybe an entire texture-pack by Fromhell will be really apreciated  Cheesy )
I think you're an able modeller and graphic artist, i'm just curious  Tongue Grin

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »

Fromhell has already enough work with OA3. :/

Here's the DSI pack with the Nexuiz textures and shaders. This is a starting point for FFA maps.

Later on I'll upload the proper OA color variations so we can start with this pack.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »

Fromhell has already enough work with OA3. :/

Here's the DSI pack with the Nexuiz textures and shaders. This is a starting point for FFA maps.

Later on I'll upload the proper OA color variations so we can start with this pack.

I think someone can make a map with this texture pack for OACMP Volume 2 Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »

NK, let me understand... are you talking about making an entire mappack entirely based upon a specific set of textures only and nothing else? Not even baseoa textures?

I can understand that mappack would be "lightweight" due to the texture set being very light... but... wouldn't the maps look all the same?

If you are proposing to make one or two maps out of these (popular?) textures, that may be an idea... but making a lot of maps out of these textures only sounds strange to me...

Maybe I misunderstood something?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »

NK, let me understand... are you talking about making an entire mappack entirely based upon a specific set of textures only and nothing else? Not even baseoa textures?

I can understand that mappack would be "lightweight" due to the texture set being very light... but... wouldn't the maps look all the same?

If you are proposing to make one or two maps out of these (popular?) textures, that may be an idea... but making a lot of maps out of these textures only sounds strange to me...

Maybe I misunderstood something?

The topic says "mappack", i think it's more than one or two maps.....

By the way, it depends from mapper ability to not make all maps similar.
Maybe it's hard to do, but not impossible.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »

This is the idea behind the GeoComp contests, Gig, if you ever heard of them. In OA's case there's even a GeoComp map in there (oa_pvomit). Geocomp takes advantage of lighting and brushwork to bring differently colored maps, though the textures themselves can also be changed.

Also, as a curiosity, many of the fully compatible Q3 maps also come from GeoComp contests. So the idea does work.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »

This is the idea behind the GeoComp contests, Gig, if you ever heard of them.
Sorry, I had no knowledge about that. However I think I got your short description.

Then, what's your idea about this pack?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »

Like OACMP, but only using these textures, and variations of them. Geocomp/DSI-based maps are, by definition, maps which uses few textures and rely on brushwork to get good visuals.

Here's more about the GeoComp:
The Competition
The purpose of this challenge is to produce good Q3 architecture using a few simple textures. It appears that a certain amount of Q3 levels, sometimes forget about architecture and tend to focus on the overuse of detailed textures, with often average results.

The challenge is about creating funky architecture from interesting brush shapes and forms. You will be expected to create something visually stunning from brushwork and using textures to accent the architecture, not the other way round.

in order to get you mappers in the mood for this competition I have created a new texture pack made up of material type textures. This will hopefully give you some idea's. If you need to change the colour/brightness of these textures then that will be no problem.

(...)

The Prize and Time frame
You have 2 months starting from the beginning of February 2002 to the end of March 2002 to create a 1 on 1 level without the help of any detailed or complicated textures, in order to concentrate exclusively on the architecture and the layout.

The Rules
* You are only allowed to use 12 textures in TOTAL.
* Please read rule 1 again.
* All textures used in the level must be included in the pk3 file under a new directory off the textures directory. eg. /textures/mymap/texture1.jpg ... /textures/mymap/texture12.tga
* If you use any shader effects with additional textures then they count in the original 12.
* You can use shaders to increase your 12 textures by blending different one's together to produce new one's if necessary. But the pk3 must still only contain 12 textures.
* All skybox textures count as one texture from the original 12.
* If you use additional textures by other people then you must state in your readme credit for their work.
* You can use any additional map objects within reason. That does not mean you create a level completely out of mapobjects. Remember this competition is about brush architecture not fancy map objects.
* You can use any function / trigger / fog / curve / patch / mesh of quake3 vanilla.
* The map must be a FULL compile with some form of lighting. NO LEAKING MAPS
* R_SPEEDS must be reasonable. 8k-12k spikes.
* The map must contain a AAS bot file.
* The map must contain a player start point or deathmatch spawn points.
* The map must be packaged correctly in a pk3 file and finally compressed again into a zip file.
* The map must contain a readme file. An example template is available at LvL
* All judges decisions are final. The judges will consist of a bunch q3 gamers / mappers.
Naturally this won't be a contest, but a GeoComp-inspired mappack, so no timeframe, no competition, no rewards. Like OACMP but with one texture pack. Tongue

EDIT: And here were the GeoComp 2 contest entries. 31 maps in total. Notice how many of the maps are already compatible with OA itself!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:05:29 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »

Here's a more robust pack. It includes red and "neutral" (yellow tending to white) variations of many textures and some variations with the OA logo. Hopefully it helps.

The texture folder for all the textures and shaders is oa_dsi.

Attached is also the source file of the OA variations, in case someone wants to do a specific variation not included in the pack.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: