Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About using sourceless, .ogg stream music in Free projects (and selfishism)  (Read 26365 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: April 13, 2007, 04:23:13 PM »

An interesting topic has been raised in the debian bugtracker. Not about the lack of source, but about sudden defense from the musician of seeing the music into other projects

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=418948

I wonder how psymong feels if the music submitted to OA leaked into other projects. It doesn't really have a 'source' anyway.

This is why I prefer tracker formats Tongue
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:32:42 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »

dumb. it sounds like one of two things...

1. the adonthell project has been using gpl incompatible content.
in which case i don't think they should refer to themselves as gpl any more. that's like marketing food as vegetarian when it actually has chunks of meat in it.

2. the artist did actually license the music as gpl.
in which case he doesn't have any control over the music any more and he should shut up.

with this kind of bullshit going on i can see why the openarena project has a strict policy on refusing gpl incompatible content. keep up the good work.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:42:07 AM »

So was his music GPL'ed or not?

Seems to be the underlining question.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »

Yet another uppity artist restricts his/her work.

You'd think they'd realize that if they were as great as they think they are, they'd have a paying job doing it.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »

You would have thought that GPL'ing it would be a clever move as it gets it in a variety of projects and more people hear it. Thus you have a higher chance of being hired. Smiley
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »

You'd think they'd realize that if they were as great as they think they are, they'd have a paying job doing it.

I'm afraid that it's attacks and comments like that which make people unwilling to contribute to your project. Are you quite done giving your community a bad name?

Top 5 tunes last week:
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »

I'm afraid that it's attacks and comments like that which make people unwilling to contribute to your project. Are you quite done giving your community a bad name?

Yeah, if we're positive about it with some sugar coating more people would contribute, right?

No.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »

You would have thought that GPL'ing it would be a clever move as it gets it in a variety of projects and more people hear it. Thus you have a higher chance of being hired. Smiley

The problem is a lot of artists don't understand the legalities of the situation.  You can't license something under the GPL for only one project, if something is licensed under the GPL it is free and open for all to use without restrictions as long as they follow the terms of the license.

Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »

Yeah, if we're positive about it with some sugar coating more people would contribute, right?

No.

Your negativity and arogance will do even less for you.

Top 5 tunes last week:
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »

No.

I'm sorry for being legally careful with my project and not pulling any risks. I guess not accepting any suggestions of polycount and LDA models either made me super crappy too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:40:18 PM by leilol » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »

Maybe the people wanting to contribute legally dodgy stuff would care to foot the legal bills in any future lawsuit emanating from the acceptance of their work.

fuzztooth
Administrator
Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena Announcer and Robut smasher

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »

Do you disagree that making sure everything is license-compliant is a worthwhile effort?  OpenArena will never suffer from such crazy issues.
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »

Does anyone here actually read the posts? I never mentioned WHAT you were doing or licenses, not once. The only things I mentioned was the attitude with which you carry it out and dmn_clown's unacceptably trollish comment.

Top 5 tunes last week:
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »

I think being a baby over one man's opinion on the internet is worse than making such harmless, 'trollish'  statement.

Carry this on any more and i'll split it to a special thread in Club Nub.

Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »

All I'm saying is that if it was my project, I would not want a team member basicly saying "If you're not a profesional by now, just give up you're obviously crap".

Although if that is your official stance, then you should make it the subtitle on your frontpage, just so that everyone knows.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:16:47 PM by Amphetamine » Logged

Top 5 tunes last week:
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »

All I'm saying is that if it was my project, I would not want a team member basicly saying "If you're not a profesional by now, just give up you're obviously crap".

Dmn_clown hasn't stated that.

He stated someone that thinks they are best than what they really are. Doesn't mean they are crap but they certainly ain't the best.

tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »

No.

Circle firing squad?
Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

I'm agreeing with Amp on the subject of that quote.

Personally I feel that if somebody is new to OA and read that it would really turn them off.
What if somebody was reading up to learn more on OA before contributing something and saw that?
I believe such a statement comes off as haughty and arrogant.

You get defensive and even slightly hostile when Amp points this out to you but he's merely trying to help you out on the Public Relations aspect of the OA project.

tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »

I'm agreeing with Amp on the subject of that quote.

Personally I feel that if somebody is new to OA and read that it would really turn them off.
What if somebody was reading up to learn more on OA before contributing something and saw that?
I believe such a statement comes off as haughty and arrogant.

You get defensive and even slightly hostile when Amp points this out to you but he's merely trying to help you out on the Public Relations aspect of the OA project.

i dunno, clown can come-off a bit "gruff", but if your at that point you already have the skin.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 09:52:33 PM »

I guess I'm just not allowed to have an opinion about someone that thinks that the terms of the GPL don't apply to them when they license their work under it.

Sorry.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 01:33:11 AM »

dmn_clown has a point would you really want someone in your team that says one thing (their going to GPL it) does it,  then a few weeks down the line changes it cause it doesn't quite suit them.

Personally I'd rather have someone that openly voices their opinion and doesn't faultier with it. Says what they are going to do and doesn't change. And be absolute shit at a music, modelling, etc. But willing to learn and improve.

Rather than someone that could be an excellent modeller, musician, etc. But vary on what he says and actually does.

*OffTopic*
@Amphetamine: Fratellis rock! Have you heard Baby Fratellie?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:37:24 AM by kit89 » Logged
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 10:12:56 AM »

dmn_clown has a point would you really want someone in your team that says one thing (their going to GPL it) does it,  then a few weeks down the line changes it cause it doesn't quite suit them.

Personally I'd rather have someone that openly voices their opinion and doesn't faultier with it. Says what they are going to do and doesn't change. And be absolute shit at a music, modelling, etc. But willing to learn and improve.

Rather than someone that could be an excellent modeller, musician, etc. But vary on what he says and actually does.

*OffTopic*
@Amphetamine: Fratellis rock! Have you heard Baby Fratellie?

I totally agree. Its always better to have someone that will be true to what they are doing then have someone that is gonna change their mind about something every time something happens that they particularly dont like.

Macintosh - we might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end.  ~Douglas Adams
Ylle
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 02:16:02 AM »

This is why I prefer tracker formats Tongue

Can the engine handle .it, .xm and all those formats? Or is it converted to ogg first?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:28:48 AM by Ylle » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »

It has to be converted to ogg, but with trackers, you could put the source (.xm, .it, etc) in the repository and modify it all you want. You can't do that to a stream alone

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: