Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Map(Development)  (Read 51722 times)
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« on: April 26, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »

Heres a map I'm working on getting to work in OpenArena.

The basic level design is pretty much done, going to add in some more lights around the darker areas(tower) and add jump pads to quickly get on the roofs.

This is a fairly small map so its good for those smaller servers. Wink

I'm having some trouble getting proper water(swim around in). I tried using a no_draw but it doesnt work(its solid) strangely neither does the other common tools, for example the clip on the barrel isnt invisible like it should. :/

Help appreciated. Cheesy

Theres more screenshots but I compressed them to keep file size down.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

Added in an arsenal of weapons. Cheesy

It really adds to the map I feel. Smiley

Still haven't been able to figure out the water problem. Sad
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »

The lights feel out of place, maybe try using a lamp model?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »

I'm having some trouble getting proper water(swim around in). I tried using a no_draw but it doesnt work(its solid) strangely neither does the other common tools, for example the clip on the barrel isnt invisible like it should. :/

Help appreciated. Cheesy

If you are using 0.6 you'll have that problem, the version in the svn shouldn't.  All map development should be done against the latest rev in the svn (Or there abouts).

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:22:57 AM »

The lights feel out of place, maybe try using a lamp model

You wouldnt happen to have a design that you think best suits this map?

If you are using 0.6 you'll have that problem, the version in the svn shouldn't.  All map development should be done against the latest rev in the svn (Or there abouts).

I'll try that out thanks. Smiley
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »

I added in some subtle lights, which I think look better. Smiley What do you think?

I also updated to the SVN which seems to have changed quite alot. (I noticed stencil shadows work slightly different now.)

I haven't fixed the water yet and I haven't added in jump pads so you can't get on the roof quickly. Once I've done that(which should be soon) I'll upload an alpha for those who want to try it. I know, screen shots get boring after a while Wink.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »

Changes:-
Added Jump-pads
Added Stairs to get out of water
Added Levelshot
Added Arena file but doesn't work.

I think everything is pretty much done...

So here's the alpha version. C&C welcomed.

Extract to baseoa.
And type /map Paradise_oa to play. Smiley

Requires latest SVN to play fully
I tested the map with version 0.6 and everything works fine except the texture for the jump-pads.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:51:19 PM by kit89 » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »

Here is a GIMP::Fu plug-in that will give you a much better looking brick texture You just need libgimp-perl to run it (Available from CPAN if you use Windows or Mac).

Play around with the pattern that it calls on or make your own.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 01:01:15 AM »

Modified the walls, thanks dmn_clown for that help. Smiley

And gave the other textures abit of depth as well.

Heres a screenshot for those that cant download the file:

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 10:41:57 AM »

So erm ... you like the map?....
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »

I think that would be quite a nice server map due to its size. However, I also think the lights look kind of weird, mainly because they look like really small light spots on walls that practically shed no light on anything else. Maybe some torch models could be used as replacements.

(The following statements are just personal oppinions. Feel free to ignore them if you want =P)

This jump pad is also a bit annoying, since it's just next to a stairway. Many times I went up the stairs just to be shot to the other side by the jump pad (I kept forgetting there was a pad there heh).

I was wondering if maybe you could make these blow if shot. One of the map packs on the forum had a map like that, with canisters that would explode a second after being shot, killing any passerby. If that could be possible, then more of these would be more than welcome.

I'm looking forward for bot support. BTW, I'm using 0.6.0 so maybe I missed something.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:14:25 PM by Kojiro_S » Logged

*ROOOAAAR*
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »

Im abit puzzled why your screenshots are so dark?

I used an ambient light of "15" to display a whole constant light. The wall lights are really just there for decoration.

It looks fine on my display(as shown from the screenshots).

Yeah that jumppad can be annoying but it helps players move around the map more easily. If others complain about it then I'll remove it.

It would be very cool if the barrels can be blown, great idea. Cheesy
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »

i like this map. it's great to see an outdoor map for a change. it's reasonably big, so it would be good for team based games and there are a few different routes that can be taken to get from one end of the map to the other. the tower looked like a nice place to snipe from, but it's really hard to get up there because the walkway around it is a bit narrow and it's really easy to fall off, but that could be intentional.

i'm not so keen on the way the edges of the map stop at the wall around the water. hiding the edges of outdoor maps does seem tricky. i don't know if it would be possible to light the map so the water is only illuminated near the shore and is in darkness by the edge of the map, so no wall is needed. the cliff that the building are built against could possibly do with a bit of shaping to make it slightly less block. apart from that, it's fine.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »

I removed the surrounding wall, and tryed a variety of different techniques on faking distance so it didnt look like it suddenly stopped. And came to the conclusion not to put anything there as it looks the best. Smiley

I also cut up the cliff and made it a little less square.

Anything else you don't like please say. Smiley

Here the latest file for you to try.
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 05:14:37 PM »

A weird wall bug I stumbled upon. Nothing else to report.

Since it's a harbor, maybe you could add some mist near the sea, though I don't really know if that's possible. That may help with the horizon camouflage, methinks.
Of course some dark sky texture would be nice as well, but that's just my opinion.

*ROOOAAAR*
DeathByGuitar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »

from what i can see from the screenshots, it looks like a pretty good map, although i have to agree with fromhell on the idea of using torches instead, at least in certain places. I dont think the lights with crosses fit the map very well. I could understand if it were some sort of temple or something, but otherwise, it's just kinda confusing. Other than that, it seems like it's a good map, and it definately adds some variety to openarena. cant wait til it makes it into the svn!
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »

Anything else you don't like please say. Smiley

- Your sky isn't working properly - it is showing damage (try blacksky, xblacksky_dm7, or sfx/blackness)
- You are missing a texture on the light in your sniper tower (the console complains about 2 missing textures)
- You might want to clip off a majority of the water (makes it less likely for someone to camp the harbor)

baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 08:09:24 AM »

Overall a nice and fast map, good job!

Few suggestions Smiley

The texture on the curved pipe is broken.

The water surface and the second step overlap and results in a flicker in game.

A wooden texture might work better on the dock rater than the grey one.

Just the jump pad might look better than the tiles and e7brickfloor surrounding the pad.

Might help if you add some rocky brushes around the map to avoid the pool look.

The curve patch needs to be fixed.

Also the tower is difficult to get to, so if somebody does then they can just sit there and keep spewing grenades all around and ducking, which might encourage campers.

These are just suggestions, dont loose you sleep over these Smiley

Cheers!
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »

Changes:

-Fixed the sky, used "blacksky".
-Removed the Z-fighting brushes with the mountain & wall.
-clipped most of the water.
-clipped a section of the rock face that could have caused a player to get stuck.
-Added lava to volcano.
-2 Jump pads now have dirt surrounding them.
-Changed ambient to "10"
- fixed error on tower(section of it wasn't supported by roof).

The tower may encourage campers but if they manage to get up there without being blown apart they deserve a few seconds before someone with a rocket takes an easy frag.

*Anyone found the secret area?

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 10:36:55 AM »

it looks a lot better without the wall. the map's pretty sweet. are you planning to do the aas thing for bots?
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »

it looks a lot better without the wall. the map's pretty sweet. are you planning to do the aas thing for bots?

I haven't got a clue how too. Sad

Oow here's the source files for the map
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 11:14:39 AM »

The tower may encourage campers but if they manage to get up there without being blown apart they deserve a few seconds before someone with a rocket takes an easy frag.

Actually it is quite easy to rocket jump to...

Here is the screeny of the missing textures.

for bots: ./bspc -forcesidesvisible -bsp2aas ~/.openarena/baseoa/maps/paradise_oa.bsp (or /path/to/map/paradise_oa.bsp)

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »

Here is the screeny of the missing textures.

Hmm thats strange it displays fine on my machine. I'm using this: "evil_trims/trim_mtlb", I'll change it anyway maybe its not standard.

Thanks for the command to create a .aas Cheesy
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »

Fixed the no texture bug and added a .aas. Cheesy

Hopefully this will be the final version. Wink

Enjoy!

The file was .5 of a MB to big so I have to use an alternate site. Sad

http://www.savefile.com/files/681072

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »

Hmm thats strange it displays fine on my machine. I'm using this: "evil_trims/trim_mtlb", I'll change it anyway maybe its not standard.

That's why it is a good idea to remove all of the non-standard pk3's from your baseoa when doing map work Wink

Thanks for the command to create a .aas Cheesy

Not a problem. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: