Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DM map: Redish (Final)  (Read 21783 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: April 30, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »

/*
Old thing
YES, I am spamming this forum with maps. And YES they are not original just conversion of the maps I miss from UT (sadly the timing in UT is all wrong on my new computer).

This is based on the spacemap DM-1on1-contact.

I have the same problem as Paradise: The ground ends to suddenly. Also I really don't want it to be in lava I want it to be in red fog, but then I try to place it in red fog, the fog looks massive until you fall in it and it still have edges!

If anybody have the solution I would like to know.
*/

EDIT1: Updated to Alpha2, small modifications: Weapon pick-up-things, different weapon placement, mesh art and lights. Bots are now very stupid.
EDIT2: Updated to both Beta1 and Beta2: Like alpha2 but bots are a little less stupid. Beta2 is darker and the bots are stopped from doing even worse things.
EDIT3: Updated to final. Changed to fit 0.7.x. It might be possible to optimize but its not going to happen.
EDIT4: Updated the links to old server.

Download:
http://brie.ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/RedishF.pk3

Screenshots (From alpha 2 but no real change):

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:18:06 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »

I think the only solution to water/lava edges, is to use a fog. A fog that doesn't look obvious on the overall map but blurs out the water edges.

It will most likely require a specialized fog texture. And a lot of testing.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »

You've got a shadow that shouldn't be there (see screen shot).  Make it into a decal (in gtkradiant, put the texture on a patch, fit it to size, and with the patch selected: right click > _decal ) then target a target_position with the _decal.

On the fog play around with the surface inspector stretch or shrink the texture to your needs (also play around with the different fogs).

DeathByGuitar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:12:35 PM »

looks like a relatively good layout. simple, yet effective. i'll be looking forward to it.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »

I have had a few updates...

I release beta1 and beta2 simultaneously since they both have certain strengths (and I never really got beta1 out before I got to knew about botclip).

Beta1 is like alpha2 just with slightly smarter bots. They still have a problem with not being able to jump correctly between platforms. It sometimes succeed though so it is kind of ok in a way.

Beta2 is using botclip to stop bots at certain places there they think they can jump. Bots still jump a lot. This is darker properly due to a change in shaders (maybe because I finally got my shaderfile updated).

Sarge removed from the default bot roam as he was significantly more stupid than the others.

I don't expect to update the maps soon... they are kind of the way I intend them.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »

Found this laying around.
Although I have given up on mapping I thought I would just release a final version since its now playable for people without the SVN version.

Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »

Thanks sago007, this looks like it could be some fun. Smiley Downloading now!

Although I usually really stink at these levels where we can fall off... I always end up jumping off the edge. =_=

[Edit: Just tried it out. Smiley It's nice, I'll definitely add it to the rotation of levels I play... Only thing I noticed was the Jump Pad didn't seem to match up with the other textures... Like the big black square with the red pulsing light felt out of place. Oh, also the edge where the lava ended and the red sky started seemed a little awkward.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:03:22 AM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
dresman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:34:28 AM »

A bit dull really.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »

Reviving. Cheesy
This can be a great space map. Did you thought about it? I've played a bit and found it as a good replacement for void4 in the SP. Also, I loved Contact on UT & UT2004. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:46:26 AM »

Took this map and tried to shift its look. Here's the first part of the process. I'll be updating it. There'll be a new item/weapon placement too. I'll be including the Personal Teleporter somewhere too. I want to include oa_ctf4ish skybox too.

ATM there's no download. The only complication I had so far is that my PC freezes in the -light stage of BSP, (I have the same problem on q3dm6ish-ctf) I had to enable -nocollapse to get lighting working and compiling well.

Here are the screenies. Nothing to download ATM.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:46:08 AM »

Nice work. Cool lighting. Like the details I can see so far. Dunno if you altered the base wall texture. I dont think so but without the red light it looks very repetitive. Same goes for floor texture.

AND WHERE IS THE RED LAVA??? <-- Important!!!

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 05:24:16 AM »

i think it looks better as a space map than a lava map.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »

Exactly, that's why I've done the map that way. The original ones are, in fact, space maps.

http://mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=23
http://mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=532
http://mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=1945

In the first build I'll surely integrate the ctf4ish skybox. (If I knew how to...)

@cosmo: I didn't altered nothing, except that I worked with the new shaders (sorted by folder) instead of the ones which came with the game.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »

Main things to this map, for a1, I'm still doing it yet:
- Layout untouched. There's a secret made by sago himself that I didn't touched too. Cheesy Only replaced the goodie it contains.
- Detail all over the level. The light spots are models. They can be used in many maps and have their own utility.
- Item/weapon placement entirely redone. Weapons: Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, Railgun, Lightning Gun, BFG10K (teamed with Flight, 45 sec. of respawn the team) and Nailgun.
- Powerups & Holdables: Flight (teamed with BFG) & Personal Teleporter. They're not so easy accesible tho.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »

For those who doesn't like space maps but like am_spacecont, here's a new mirror. Tongue

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5917

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: