Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have some questions.  (Read 7816 times)
WickedBurn
Nub

Cakes 0

I... am the pwnage.

« on: May 23, 2007, 05:57:23 AM »

I still dont get how to add maps.

When I download a map folder, I get an AAS file, a MAP file, an ARENA file and so on...there are never any files that have pk3 at the end. -_- Im confused. Could someone walk me thru the process and Im sorry if Im a bit slow at this.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:16:10 AM »

Where are you downloading this "map" folder?

Also what Operating System are you using? I assume Windows.

Go to where you installed OpenArena most likely in the C://Program Files/Open Arena. Now in the OpenArena folder there should be a bunch of executables and a folder called "baseoa", go into baseoa.

In there should be a bunch of files like "pak0.pk3", "pak1.pk3", these are ".pk3" files. Which is basically a ".zip" with the ".zip" replaced with a ".pk3"

You place .pk3 files in the "baseoa" folder, this allows the engine to find them & use them.

A ".pk3" stores data that will be used. The data is usually stored in specific "folders" like "maps", "scripts", "textures", etc. Within these folders you get the actual data.

For example in the "maps" folder you will find maps which have the extension name ".bsp", the ".bsp" is the map that the engine will read at which you can run around in.

Hope that clears things up.
WickedBurn
Nub

Cakes 0

I... am the pwnage.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:21:57 AM »

Well, I know that much. Maybe my question wasnt clear enough, so Ill come from another approach:

I download a map off this forum. Inside the folder I get and unzip are: an unknown file called COPYING
and another called README. Then there are four folders: levelshots, maps, source and scripts. levelshot contains a screenie of the level, while the rest contain unknown files that end in aas or bsp and others i dont remember. What I really need is a step by step instruction on WHAT to do with all of this. Thank you for your time and effort.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:31:56 AM »

Don't extract those. Just move the pk3 file you downloaded into the baseoa folder.

it's that simple really.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:36:28 AM »

Some download managers can change the extensions from pk3 to zip then you download the file, if that is the case just rename it back.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
WickedBurn
Nub

Cakes 0

I... am the pwnage.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »

Thx fromhell. That makes it all ALOT easier, damn.

WickedBurn
Nub

Cakes 0

I... am the pwnage.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »

So if i download a zip folder like the one was talking about earlier, i dont un-zip, just put in baseoa folder? And by the way, are the maps listed on the Mapping section for Online or Offline mode? Cuz I did what you said and put the pk3 files in baseoa, but when I went to Single Player and tried to find and use them, they weren't there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: