Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Invisible Wall Barrier?  (Read 12927 times)
BRS
Nub

Cakes 0

[cocking gun], heh hehe heh..

« on: June 07, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »

I'm making a water map and want the water to appear endless. To do this i've been trying to put a invisible wall barrier in the level then water after the barrier. I've tried using the no draw texture but after compiled it leaves the  common texture visable(probably because they are vertical walls). Tried clip as well. Then I changed the walls into trigger_push this will make the walls invisible but will not create a barrier.

Is there any way to create a invisible wall barrier? Is there a texture or shader to do so?

Get games 1/3 of cost  https://www.g2a.com/r/brsg2a
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 04:39:45 AM »

You can use clip, but you might have to wait for 0.70 or use the SVN version.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
stroggi
OA SUCKS BECAUSE IT "SCAVENGES SHIT" LIKE MY SHITTY MAPS
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:03:57 AM »

thats because for some reason there is no common shader file included. I put together some common textures to use with a common.shader file adapted from the one i use for other mapping, it is has a q_ at the start of the name will to make gtkradient/q3map2/oa use the common textures from there instead of the ones in pak4 - just put it in your base folder and it should work.

http://files-upload.com/278712/q_commonshaders.pk3.html

(cant you change it so you can upload pk3's without renaming them?)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:14:54 AM by stroggi » Logged
BRS
Nub

Cakes 0

[cocking gun], heh hehe heh..

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:45:19 PM »

Hey thanks for the pk3 file, I appreciate it! I'll make sure to add you to the level credits.

Now it's back to mapping.

Thanks

answer to your ?(maybe...) In my opinion, Gtkradiant works better if you just make a baseq3 subfolder (in your OpenArena folder)add OA texture pak and shader pak to that folder. I added your q_commonshaders.pk3 there.. it works!
No effort done just added pk3. I can even play my level without adding anything to the textures folder of my pk3.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:29:19 PM by BRS » Logged

Get games 1/3 of cost  https://www.g2a.com/r/brsg2a
CorteX
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »

Hehe, it might be because of my lack of mapping experience but I always use common/caulk for that. It seems that sometimes it gives a graphical bug though, as if you look out of the bounds of level (dont know how the 'effect' is called but it keep overdrawing what has previously been drawn on the place of the caulk part) .. Anyway you've solved it Smiley Im going to check out the shaders too..
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »

Hehe, it might be because of my lack of mapping experience but I always use common/caulk for that. It seems that sometimes it gives a graphical bug though, as if you look out of the bounds of level (dont know how the 'effect' is called but it keep overdrawing what has previously been drawn on the place of the caulk part) .. Anyway you've solved it Smiley Im going to check out the shaders too..

Its due to the vising process, as caulk gets calculated & is viewed as a solid object that you cant see through. However if you changed it to "detail brush" the problem should not happen.
CorteX
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »

Its due to the vising process, as caulk gets calculated & is viewed as a solid object that you cant see through. However if you changed it to "detail brush" the problem should not happen.

Hmm would it then work to use caulks as invisible walls?
I should learn more about these detail brushes, have never used them Smiley
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »

I don't think that's the primary goal of Caulk... I'd rather just stick with the "fullclip" texture instead... (Caulk just says: "no surface here, don't draw triangles, there's no triangles, go away")
Also, Caulk is used to calculate light (so if you make a big Caulk brush under a spot light, it will leave a shadow). It can block vis processing too unless it's set to detail (cut a room in half with a Caulk and you get that nasty hall of mirrors bug)
There's a very well done file coming along with GTKRadiant which explains the various specials textures (but users rarely think about reading it because they not sure about what these files contains anyway)

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
CorteX
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »

Thanks Anyone, clear explaination Smiley Ill look into those files too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: