Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't the 50MB map-pack included in the release?  (Read 13392 times)
noisyb
Nub

Cakes 0

BANNED FOR PROTESTING ABOUT AUTODOWNLOAD

« on: June 13, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »

I'm talking about these: http://www.NOYOUFILTHYDAMNPIRATE/bg2/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=17

If there isn't a Licensing problem of some kind involved they should be really put into the next release because playing always the same 4 or 7 maps gets boring and I play only since a month now.

I think the new maps are interesting and should really not be split from the std. release because nobody bothers to wait for the in-game download since that one seems to be bound to 20k/sec which would result in 1+h waiting time.

Please don't require noobs to install them manually any longer. It will only result in empty servers and a sad ME.

* rainbow admin *
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »

I think some of the maps haven't been converted to OA, so missing textures are bound to happen. Also ONLY completely GPL'ed maps could be modified/included, and that means map, textures and whatever else it may have. Sadly, there aren't many of those around.

*ROOOAAAR*
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »

I think the new maps are interesting and should really not be split from the std. release because nobody bothers to wait for the in-game download since that one seems to be bound to 20k/sec which would result in 1+h waiting time.

Depending on server you can get much higher speeds, often around 100-500 kb/sec over http (you hardly have time to cancel).

However almost no one have auto download enabled. That is the biggest problem.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
stroggi
OA SUCKS BECAUSE IT "SCAVENGES SHIT" LIKE MY SHITTY MAPS
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »

they cant be included because they arent gpl. rightly or wrongly the openarena project is decieded on being gpl, i dont think you will get them to change their minds. however they could enable auto download by default, that would make a massive difference. There are some new maps to be put in the next release though.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:59:59 AM »

they cant be included because they arent gpl.
This is correct. Can't bundle non-free stuff with Free stuff because it would contradict the license for freedom for the Free stuff.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »

I'm talking about these: http://www.NOYOUFILTHYDAMNPIRATE/bg2/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=17

If there isn't a Licensing problem of some kind involved they should be really put into the next release because playing always the same 4 or 7 maps gets boring and I play only since a month now.

Three of those maps will be in the standard release as the author's were kind enough to release their map source under the GPL, as for the other maps, kindly request the author to release them under the GPL being sure to use tools that do not restrict how you can use the end product.

That probably won't happen, however, as one of those authors has already stated that he will not submit anything to this project.

Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »

Basically, for content to be bundled with OA:
1. It is, or permission by the copyright holder(s) has been given for it to be, licensed under the GPL.
2. It's actually compatible with OA.
3. It doesn't suck

Of course, then after all that the OA devs decide what goes in and what doesn't Wink
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »

3. It doesn't suck

What about oa_bases3? Tongue

baconfish
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 05:52:30 PM »

3. It doesn't suck

What about oa_bases3? Tongue
Or cbctf1??
dmn_clown