Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA for the PSP (Play Station Portable)  (Read 22723 times)
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: June 15, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »

I got this crazy idea: why we don't make a version for PSP or other handheld console of oa?
I think it will promote the game and the open source games in generale in the business world and to other gamers. from the technical side I think that the quake3engine can run very slow at an unplayable rate, but it is possible to make a mini-open-arena using the old quake2 engine which is a lot faster, and to convert the content (from md3 to md2) and it is the only quake game that I can convert since the others does not offer gpl contents. what do you think?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »

but it is possible to make a mini-open-arena using the old quake2 engine which is a lot faster, and to convert the content (from md3 to md2)

Why would that be necessary? MD2 is much more inefficient and lacks tags and multiple materials.

OpenArena on a non-Q3 engine just isn't OA anymore.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »

ok so I'll just add the md3 code to quake2, and what about the maps?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

I think the q3 engine could work, given some pre-downsample work on the files to fit in memory. I've done tinyOA once for playing on my p100 and it achieved around 20fps in most areas (was only 17mb too)

I think OA might even have a chance on the DS too with even more downsampling, and vertex lighting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:28:29 PM by leilol » Logged

atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »

hmmm, not sure about that, now we have doom and q1 on DS and PSPhttp://dsquake.blogspot.com/, someone has made a q2 port but it's very slow and unplayable:-(, another guy has made a port for the Nokia 800 using quetoo http://jdolan.dyndns.org/trac/wiki/Quetoo
(quake2 engine optimised for speed) let alone quake3!!
maybe with some optimisation and using some optimised map(no water,no transparency, no flares...) it and some small map. it may be possible   
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »

Well there was that Q3ACE port but its website recently died :/

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/quake3arenace.shtml

Like I mentioned, this port also reduced the content to fit on the device (down to around 120mbish, all the sounds were mp3'd (WTF MP3'?!?!!? EVILEVILEVIL)

SAHChandler
Nub

Cakes 0

LOL WUT?

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 08:09:39 PM »

I think the q3 engine could work, given some pre-downsample work on the files to fit in memory. I've done tinyOA once for playing on my p100 and it achieved around 20fps in most areas (was only 17mb too)

I think OA might even have a chance on the DS too with even more downsampling, and vertex lighting.
If they are putting Half Life with high def content on the DS, this is totally possibly.

lol wut?
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »

fromhell; Do you still have the tinyOA? because I'm interested to see how it works.
Michael Eh?
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

I would love to see a PSP version, even if it is scaled down.  I think one way is to disable features until it can be supported.  Meaning pspOA would read the code, just do nothing with it.

I would also like to see a Live OA server application preferably running on a laptop from a linux liveCD.  That way, people at a con can play OA anywhere.

I real problem with DS is Nintendo actually has in their development contracts that Open Source programs can not be used for any game for Nintendo. As Atari found out, they had the destroy all copies of a game they released.

---mike---
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

I would also like to see a Live OA server application preferably running on a laptop from a linux liveCD.  That way, people at a con can play OA anywhere.

This could be impossible to manage if the machine has a NVIDIA video card unless there will be a fully supported and working nouveau driver .

And it should be also included a set of working configurations , so to suddenly find a suitable and usable enough configuration without beeing worried that with the next LiveCD restart , all personal configurations will be lost.
Michael Eh?
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »

It would have to be a liveCD that works with the target laptop as it won't be playing, it be acting as a live server for PSP (and maybe DS) clients.   Since these will have to have subset maps, textures and models, any decent laptop should be able to handle the load, even without linux. Since there isn't much of a chance for decent internet in a convention enviroment, the need for a local server.

But first there has to be a PSP OA client before anything else can proceed.

---mike---
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »

Ops ... sry , I've missed the server word in your reply ... well a live CD that starts a local OA dedicated server (+set dedicated 1 ) listening on wireless net device could be not diffucult to be realized ... but this could be done also with a normal (windows or linux) installation on the laptop.

PSP has a MIPS cpu and some experimental linux environments are available .... but porting OA over it is completely another story.
DaywalkeR
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »

You are talking about OA for Wii, DS, PSP and so on...

The developement should be better concentrated ONLY to the pc-version.

Sure it would be cool to play oa on the psp, but we want to play oa online and in competition, so imho such a version is not needed.
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »

The developement should be better concentrated ONLY to the pc-version.

You deserve a cake! As DaywalkeRn said, it would be cool to play on those consoles but OA is still under development, it's still not completed completed game on the pc.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »

Or better said the implementation to other platforms is a job for ioquake3. Actually when the ioquake3 runs on Nokia N900 news was posted to ioquake3 webpage, they told that instead getting license for Q3 content on Maemo, they should use OpenArena. And thus #openarena hash of Twitter was full with "I run OA under N900, it's awesome" tweets.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »

Its weird because when in model development I wasn't even considering portables. I wonder about the framerate the n900 gets.

PowerVR chipset probably sitll being used, so they won't get bloom first off.

p.s. The Sony PSP sucks at caching 16/32-bit textures but supports paletted (256 colors, 8-bit) with great performance. The engine has PCX support already.... so staying away from alpha channels for models would be a big benefit for not only that, but PowerVR chips as well

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: