Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Map I've given up on. (Credit to MAX_PATCH_PLANES)  (Read 11974 times)
kick52

Cakes -1

« on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »

I started this, thought it would turn out nice, but now I have the max_patch_plane error whenever I run it, and I've tried but it just isn't working.

Hopefully someone here could make some uses for it.

I have another test map like this which I might put the bases into, but I'm not sure.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Your patch is way to big, try Using smaller patches, and brake them up into sections.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »

im not sure how i could do that without causing a leak or something.. how can i break them up?
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:51:39 PM »

It requires planning and using the grid, and alot of time and patience.

Give me a minute and I'll set something up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:27:58 PM by kit89 » Logged
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »

I requires planning and using the grid, and alot of time and patience.

Give me a minute and I'll set something up.

cool
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »

Okay on this quick map you'll notice there are 2 different sides. The bumpy and the smooth.

You start with the smooth and you create the bumpy once you've created the basic shape of your landscape. You'll notice that the landscape is broken up into 3 distinct sections, left slope, right slope, and middle.

To edit and modify easily select all the patches using Shift and drag-select with mouse. Then press "V" when editing the patches its best to use the Shift and Drag-select as you may be changing position of 2 patch edges and you want these to be perfectly lined to stop leaks.

Hope that helps you.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:17:39 AM »

Okay on this quick map you'll notice there are 2 different sides. The bumpy and the smooth.

You start with the smooth and you create the bumpy once you've created the basic shape of your landscape. You'll notice that the landscape is broken up into 3 distinct sections, left slope, right slope, and middle.

To edit and modify easily select all the patches using Shift and drag-select with mouse. Then press "V" when editing the patches its best to use the Shift and Drag-select as you may be changing position of 2 patch edges and you want these to be perfectly lined to stop leaks.

Hope that helps you.

ah, thanks alot.

so basicly, when i am making a landscape like this, create the main patch using lots of little segments where i want detail,  and then select them all and modify as one?

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:20:58 AM »

Basically, yes.

However don't expect to get it perfect first time, its a very time consuming process.
Also I'd recommend you caulk all your brushes before you go any further.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »

Basically, yes.

However don't expect to get it perfect first time, its a very time consuming process.
Also I'd recommend you caulk all your brushes before you go any further.

i've created the patches, though when i select them all , edit the vectors, etc, moving the edge vector of a patch only moves that patch.. thats meant to happen right? if so, i see what you mean by it being hard.. i mean, really f*cking hard. i really cant see how you managed that map! i'll give it a go.

would it be possible to make a really simple base patch, and then create hills or whatever by overlapping other patches?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:01:35 PM by kick52 » Logged
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »

That's why use use the Shift key and drag the mouse over the particular nodes you want to edit. That way you pick up nodes from the other patches.

Heres an example video of what I do:
http://www.savefile.com/files/826504

The video just shows what I've stated above if what I'm saying doesn't make sense, hopefully the video will clear it up a bit.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »

ah, thanks for the vid. i get you now. thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: