Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New mod: Elimination (Beta21)/OA 0.7.7+  (Read 169317 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: June 30, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »

I have played around with the almighty source code.

This mod adds a gametype "Elimination". It is round based. You have all weapons (bfg is disabled by default) and full health and must eliminate the other team. It is like elimination from SoF2, combined with the UT version of Rocket Arena (no self damage, only two teams, warmup).

I believe most bugs are gone by now.

Mod: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/eliminationSource/eliminationB21.zip
Source: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/eliminationSource/openArenaEliminationB21.tar.bz2 (includes some of the engine source but its easiest to compile that way)
Old versions:
http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/eliminationSource/
EDIT 1-19:Links to newer version
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:47:06 AM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:29:38 PM »

cool, a gpl mod! Smiley

these could possibly be treated specially by being put in the oa svn probably, under a mods directory, which from there can be built though that's just a silly thought

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:43:55 PM »

cool, a gpl mod! Smiley

these could possibly be treated specially by being put in the oa svn probably, under a mods directory, which from there can be built though that's just a silly thought

What's silly about it?  As long as the mod doesn't crash a person's system, include any backdoors, or vote republican we could distribute it...

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »

I believe I know most bugs but feel free to comment anyway.

The end credit menu needs to be changed in q3_ui/ui_credits.c

Also the copywrite info in the main menu q3_ui/ui_menu.c

Those are the obvious things that should be changed to reflect that it is an OA mod.  Smiley

Edit:  If no one has any objections I'll commit this mod as the start of the oa - expanded mod
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:20:57 AM by dmn_clown » Logged

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »

Sounds like something worth trying out, for sure. Might put this up for testing during next week.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »

I went ahead and changed the things I was whining about and also changed the bot team menus to reflect OA's models, the code + qvm's are in the svn.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »

Heh this mod is kinda neat

Maybe the missionpack project could work with this as well, probably could use a load more gamemodes in that
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:05:58 PM by leilol » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »

I like that idea, how about adding more gametypes like instagib, vampire deathmatch*, vampire elimination*, last man standing (basically ffa elimination), etc.?

* You gain health when you wound someone, just make sure the health check is done server side to prevent cheats Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »

last man standing (basically ffa elimination)
seconded, though have the fraglimit as lives per round

what could also be great, is tremulous's particle system

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »

I have fixed a lot of the bugs I mentioned, I will just look at what dmn_clown has put in SVN

EDIT: On the other hand I have not made any changes to q3ui since last time, so I skip it

I like that idea, how about adding more gametypes like instagib, vampire deathmatch*, vampire elimination*

They could be added easily as CVARs, like:

g_instantgib 0
g_vampire 0.0

That could be changed to:

g_instantgib 1 
if you wanted instantgib

g_vampire 0.43
if you want to get 43% of the damage you dealt in health

That way they would work for all gametypes. Instantgib DM/Tourney/TDM/CTF/Harvestor/Elimination etc.

Health and damage are already controlled server side (the client only knows about himself and teammates)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 01:45:18 PM by sago007 » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »

The only thing I changed was the copywrite notice on the main menu, the default bot choices, and the end credits.  Care to add a ffa elimination (last man standing) gametype with fromhell's idea of having a set number of lives per round to your mod?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »

there goes one flag ctf :/

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »

anyway I just added the missionpack qvms to the svn.  Elimination is gametype 5, one flag is 6 overload is 7 harvester is 8.

With a weird bug that flags don't spawn in one flag... !
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:20:42 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 02:12:23 AM »

Ok, this is important:  when adding a new team game type make sure that it is defined after the missionpack gametypes in bg_public.h so that nothing gets b0rked.

The code should read like so:
Code:
typedef enum {
GT_FFA, // free for all
GT_TOURNAMENT, // one on one tournament
GT_SINGLE_PLAYER, // single player ffa

//-- team games go after this --

GT_TEAM, // team deathmatch
GT_CTF, // capture the flag
GT_1FCTF,
GT_OBELISK,
GT_HARVESTER,
GT_ELIMINATION, // team elimination (custom)
GT_MAX_GAME_TYPE
} gametype_t;

This makes elimination g_gametype 8 in the missionpack qvms Smiley

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »

Ok, this is important:  when adding a new team game type make sure that it is defined after the missionpack gametypes in bg_public.h so that nothing gets b0rked.
That will make it very hard to implement another FFA gametype (like Last man standing), because the code expects all gametypes with a number higher than GT_TEAM to be team games and numbers higher than GT_CTF to use the team spawn points.

The code does not check every single gametype, it just compares with GT_TEAM and GT_CTF

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 05:07:56 AM »

not necessarily.  The easiest way to test after a compile of the qvms is to start the missionpack and change the gametype in the console followed with a /devmap oa_ctf4ish which has the team play entities in place.  As long as both flags spawn in ctf, the three flags spawn in one flag, both obelisks spawn in overload, and all three obelisks spawn in harvester everything will work out.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 10:15:06 AM »

Beta 2 uploaded

quite a lot of modifications including gametype change to 8

Vampire and Instantgib added, but LMS is not included
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:18:35 AM by sago007 » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 11:23:57 AM »

I get the feeling that g_gametypes are going to have to be explicitly defined...

btw the vampire edition to the mod is more challenging Wink

edit:  Made some changes to your instantgib cvar before I committed it, nothing too special, just made the gauntlet an instagib weapon when the cvar is active (namely because in single player mode you have to die to get an instagib weapon and you already have the gauntlet Evil) You should probably spawn with it as well...

Also changed the team order's menu to work with the bots.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:56:36 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »

Ok, changes in Beta 3...

Made g_instantgib a LATCH cvar, map_restart required

g_instantgib, can now be 1 = RAILS only, 2 = RAIL and GAUNTLET, 0 = disabled
+some other things from svn

All map items are now loaded even if they are not needed... so they will appear if g_instantgib is set to 0 without a map change (map_restart not enough)

g_regen also added, so if enabled instantgib folks does not need to worry too much about falling damage

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »

I am not able to code more for the next two weeks because I'm going on vacation.

Just wanted to but Beta 4...
Changes:
CTF elimination as gametype 9
Last Man standing template as gametype 10 (not actually implemented except solved the FFA problem)

I have created two variables g_ffa_gt and cgs.ffa_gt in the code, if they are '1' the game as a FFA gametype even of the gametype number is higher than CTF_GT

Gametype 10 is not LMS yet, it just demonstrates that it is now possible to make FFA games with high gametype numbers.

I have still not touched the UI, so CTF Elimination and LMS cannot be selected. And the interface still treats GT_LMS as a team game.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »

I made some quick changes to the ui so that ctf_elimination can be selected

Edit: Missionpack bug if you are using a model that can't be found, the game will crash to menu so choose your models wisely until "james" appears Wink
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:12:56 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »

Beta 5 is up

Last Man Standing is added and working. Gametype 10

It is round based. The survivor gets a point.

If there are multiple survivors then time runs out the game will go into overtime and everyone will start to quickly loose health to force an outcome

CVAR g_lms_lives added
There is a 2 seconds forced spawn time, so players cannot sit safe in limbo forever.

UI code is copyed from SVN and LMS has been added to it
There are some UI problems with LMS under "Create Server" (basically it is still considered a team game there) and the bots try to select a leader of TEAM_FREE (almost amusing)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »

2 suggestions:

1.)  Create a monolithic patch of your changes* and then update to the latest ioq3 source (and post this patch, its easier than full source)
2.)  You may have to edit botlib so the bots know about the new gametypes

* svn diff -i > oaelimination.diff
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:05:42 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

Hieronymus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 08:17:16 AM »

How about the Nexuiz keyhunt? Each team has a key, which is like a flag except is has no "base", so it has to be carried around or lie on the ground. When one person has all the keys, he receives a lot of points, or, when two/three persons of the same team have the keys and meet (i.e., are less than $distance from eachother) they all get a few points. Teams win when they hit the fraglimit. (Both normal frags and key collections count, but the latter deliver much more points.)
Hieronymus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »

Okay, my comments after playing it. First off: I like it very much. Now, there are some bugs/glitches/areas for improvement I found. It's only a beta, but I'm listing them just to be sure you know.

In general:
  • You can't player-spectate after you die
  • If a team has only one player, and it leaves, the other team gains a point. (Only tried this in elimination.)
  • You can't see who's dead already (this would be nice - maybe in the tab-menu or on-screen the number of ppl still alive per team?)
  • friendly fire is always off, you can't kill yourself. It would be nice to have an option to turn this off.
  • If there's a new round, you can get killed by someone spawning on top of you. If this happens, you may not be able to participate in the round.
  • I've noticed that when starting a server, there's by default no frag/capture limit. (This may be an Openarena glitch.)

specifically elimination:
  • you only get points when you kill someone. It is very hard to kill someone, so it might be fairer to get points for every 10 damage you did or something. Or, make it 'normal' hard to kill someone and then let everybody respawn once or twice

specifically CTF elimination:
  • You always hear the flag returned sound at the beginning of the round.
  • You don't hear the spectator when a flag is stolen.

specifically last man standing:
  • You don't get points for killing. This is probably intentional, but it means that hiding is the best strategy to winning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: