Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q3 Multimod - Server Side Addon  (Read 10412 times)
Neological
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 08, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »

I found this nifty little server side addon which allows plugins to be written and used. I had been looking for a Q3A/OA alternative to AMX Mod X, a Half-Life Server Side Addon, and came across this.

Apparently it's been GPL'd according to the readme file including in the windows zip release. Here's the website and a portion of the readme included.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmm -- http://qmm.planetquake.gamespy.com/
QMM - Q3 MultiMod
Copyright QMM Team 2005
http://www.q3mm.org/

Licensing:
    QMM is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

QMM is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with QMM; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

Created By:
    Kevin Masterson a.k.a. CyberMind <kevinm@planetquake.com>

I haven't had the time to check this out yet, as it's night time and I'm still trying to learn how to fully set up an OA server properly. This seems a rather nice alternative to the LUA suggestion I made in the "Club Nub" Ideas thread. Might be worth checking this out in my opinion.

What's everyones take on this?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:03:49 AM »

I hope it's based on the GPL codebase and not the restrictive mod SDK codebase.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neological
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »

If you're in doubt, then check it yourself instead of complaining about it. It can always be rewritten as long as the source-code exists under the GPL license.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »

If you're in doubt, then check it yourself instead of complaining about it.

Being rude to our lead developer makes me even less likely to bother looking at this code.

Neological
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »

Being rude to our lead developer
It shouldn't matter if s/he is or not. I found something that I thought would be worth sharing under the GPL license, so I posted it. If someone is going to complain about it being on a different license then maybe I should stop posting my findings. It's not right to ridicule me for something I found for you guys.
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:38 AM »

You do realize that looking at the code is more time-consuming than just asking about it beforehand, I asume.

And the license issue has been stated everywhere since forever. If it's not GPL, it's not an option. No need to overeact for such a thing Tongue

*ROOOAAAR*
Neological
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 12:58:25 AM »

You do realize that looking at the code is more time-consuming than just asking about it beforehand, I asume.
Yes, I realize this, but to automatically post about it without checking first causes problems.

And the license issue has been stated everywhere since forever. If it's not GPL, it's not an option. No need to overeact for such a thing
There's no over-reaction here. The license issue I know about. Instead of complaining about a find, someone should compliment it first instead of mouthing off about the license. It's simple as that. It makes the community here look bad.
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:37:26 AM »

Instead of complaining about a find, someone should compliment it first instead of mouthing off about the license. It's simple as that. It makes the community here look bad.
I get the point and I think it's some kind of reflex because of bad experiences in the past with non-GPL contributed material removed in a hurry. Some people often join such collaborations without thinking about the idea behind open projects and GPL licensing, so this must be explained repeatedly (posting a sum up of the license in a sticky topic would be good, but I doubt many new member would take the time to read it because of "no time" or "never heard of it before"). Being very careful about that matter may indeed leads to uncomfortable situations (with both people and that license matter) but I doubt there were any intentions to be mean or diminishing.
I suppose fromhell' reaction is easy to understand as he's taking charge of OpenArena, so the first thing he must be worried about is the license (that's how I see it at least) and he certainly wouldn't like to give fake hopes.

Anyway, I'm not good enough with server and online gaming stuff to say anything really relevant but that find sounds pretty neat.

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »

The license issue I know about. Instead of complaining about a find, someone should compliment it first instead of mouthing off about the license.

I would suggest you re-read lei's post: 

I hope it's based on the GPL codebase and not the restrictive mod SDK codebase.

is hardly a complaint.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: