Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac OS X and Linux ppc versions  (Read 28014 times)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« on: July 06, 2007, 02:19:42 PM »

OK, i just got the linux ppc binaries, for now they are hosted here, i'll do a proper "release" soon.

For OS X i got the engine to work without the music, i'm trying to build the ogg support too.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »

ok: now the ogg support builds and the music plays!  :cool:
still nedd to fix a couple of things, then i'll release it.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:09 PM »

ok, if i'm right i'm building the final one now. :-)
after that i have to manually link 3 libraries, then i can release.

i had to edit the makefile to make everything work and found that there is something in ioq3-src-oa that calls to the "ui" folder, which is not present. i added it from the ioq3 1106 revision and now works.
also, i'm not sure if "USE_OPENAL_DLOPEN=1" makes sense with the modifies i did, but i think that it will not cause problems, so i'll keep it if noone has a reason to do not.

the problem wasin the vorbisand ogg libs... and wasn't!
in short, to have an "universal" build on os x (so it runs on ppc and x86 macs) the compiler uses a sort of "virtual root",so i had to recompile the libs as universal binaries, install them inside that virtual root and then compile the game with ogg vorbis support.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:21:26 PM by jackoverfull » Logged
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »

allright I cant wait for the os x update for the engine, many thanks for your hardwork on it. I played the windows version on my laptop and loved the bloom now that I have it working. Cant wait to try it on the 24-inch screen on my mac.

Macintosh - we might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end.  ~Douglas Adams
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »

very well: i spent all night (and most of the past 2 days...) on it, but now it works. :-)
I built it on my g4 and tested also on an imac g3, without the development stuff, to see that now is ok.
I can't test it on intels, but i think that will work.

I was not able to build libvorbisfile as an universal binary (only ppc...because i'm on ppc. libvorbis and libogg builds fine for both platforms), but i finally found one precompiled that worked fine.
Well the libs word is always an hell, expecially on os x, where the user hate the dependencies...

I'm attaching here the modified makefile i used to build the game. As you can see the changes applies only to the ppc version: it maked no sense to compile it for os x 10.2.8 while ogglib can't run on it without other modifies...
I needed also the "ui" folder from 1106 ioq3.

I'm uploading a full release, complete of "traditional" drag'n'drop installation, to a server right now, it will take some time...
For the ones who can't wait there is an engine-only package here: download it, then copy "OpenArena" in the same folder of "baseoa". You can get "baseoa" from the main page of this site: it is inside the official release...

Now I'll reboot in linux to try to build  it again.

Good fragging.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:30:13 PM »

built the linux ppc one. with ./ui all is ok now.

You can download the engine here: http://www.jackoverfull.com/giochi/openarena/OALinuxPPC0.7.0j1.tar.gz
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

Just tried it on my intel mac and the mac os x client works like a charm thank you so much for the time you put into this allthough there is a bug when bloom is on it will leave artifacts on the edges of screen, but this is no fault of yours since it also appears on my windows machine as well. Thanks again

Macintosh - we might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end.  ~Douglas Adams
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:03:27 AM »

Just started expieriencing alot of crashes very suddenly when trying to scrim with bots in SP. Only seem to get the crashes on the newer more graphical maps. This is the error message
Date/Time:      2007-07-07 23:01:32.362 -0700
OS Version:     10.4.10 (Build 8R2218)
Report Version: 4

Command: ioquake3.ub
Path:    /Applications/games/Open Arena/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/ioquake3.ub
Parent:  WindowServer [68]

Version: 1.33+oa (1.33+oa)

PID:    755
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _ov_open_callbacks
  Referenced from: /Applications/games/Open Arena/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/ioquake3.ub
  Expected in: /Applications/games/Open Arena/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/libvorbis.0.3.1.dylib

Model: iMac6,1, BootROM IM61.0093.B01, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, PCIe, 128 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 512 MB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 512 MB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x87), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1)
Bluetooth: Version 1.9.0f8, 2 service, 1 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: ST3250824AS  Q, 232.89 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-85J
USB Device: Built-in iSight, Micron, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Hub in Apple Pro Keyboard, Mitsumi Electric, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Apple Optical USB Mouse, Primax Electronics, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 100 mA
USB Device: Apple Pro Keyboard, Mitsumi Electric, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 250 mA
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, Apple, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

this error message reports the libvorbis.0.3.1.dylib as being the culprit and since you mentioned vorbis as being problematic I believe earlier I think that this may be the problem. None the less its still a good job.

More info: Crash happens everytime I try and load a map that probably uses the vorbis files, I will assume that these are the newer ones. I am going to roll back to the older OA client for OS X and see if that works better. But so far the game crashes without fail when trying to load newer maps with that exact same error message.

just tried the game with the older ioquake3.app and the game and all the maps work flawlessly allthough no bloom. Hope this helps to get the problem fixed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:14:33 AM by FragUPlenty » Logged

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 04:43:47 AM »

Just tried it on my intel mac and the mac os x client works like a charm thank you so much for the time you put into this allthough there is a bug when bloom is on it will leave artifacts on the edges of screen, but this is no fault of yours since it also appears on my windows machine as well. Thanks again
ok, thanks for the report.

More info: Crash happens everytime I try and load a map that probably uses the vorbis files, I will assume that these are the newer ones. I am going to roll back to the older OA client for OS X and see if that works better. But so far the game crashes without fail when trying to load newer maps with that exact same error message.

just tried the game with the older ioquake3.app and the game and all the maps work flawlessly allthough no bloom. Hope this helps to get the problem fixed.
oh, damn.....

you can use music in oa (with the newer client: the old one does not really support it)? you can chack by loading a map, opening the console, typing
Code:
music music/sonic1
and pressing return (you can close the console with the command toggleconsole)
if it works you should hear a music after a while, if not... well, probably it will crash.
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »

The second I entered in that code to start the music in OS X It crashed and I got the exact same error message as above again.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:56:09 PM »

ok.

today i got access to a friend's hackintosh and i think that now it is fixed, since i could compile that libraries directly. sound plays also on osx86 now.
i got an error when trying to play a music for the first time, but then it plays, so probably is only the lack of "real" sse3. the bots did not work, but i think that the reason is the same (you said that on yesterday's build they worked, right?).

i just finished to make the bundle, i'm going to test it on the G3 to make sure that everything is ok. i can't test it on an x86 mac now, since i had to return home, but it should work (i hope it does!).
i'll host the new build soon.
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »

If you need anything tested feel free to send it to me and I will see if it works on my intel mac. In about an hour and a half I will be able to devote time to it. My aim is FragUPlenty. The MSN is ajpcinc@hotmail.com

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

ok, the build works on the imac perfectly (as far i can see). :-)

if you want to try it i just uploaded it to www.jackoverfull.com/giochi/openarena/OAMac0.7.0j2-engine_only.zip

thanks to SystemR89 for providing me the hardware to build that libraries...
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »

I can confirm that this version seems to work flawlessly with the music allthough I still want to to a bit more testing. Ill get back to you if I find anything.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »

very well! :-)

thanks for testing it.

i'm also uploading the full version to the server, it will take some time.
tomorrow (or maybe later today) i'll try to post the compilation steps i used to do it.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »

Cool. I'll be ready to mirror it too Smiley

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »

OK. File uploaded.

For the engine-only mirror you can use this (that is the one i uploaded some hours ago) and this is the full release, complete of drag'n'drop installation: jazzmobile.it/jackoverfull/games/openarena/OpenArena0.7.0j2.dmg
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 03:13:39 PM »

I wrote a build guide for os x, you can find it here with all the files you may need: www.jackoverfull.com/giochi/openarena/modified_osx.zip

Inside there is also a script to build the pk3s on UNIX systems, based on Build-pieced.bat, since buildpk3nix.sh is outdated.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »

i put it on macupdate. 114 downloads in about 30m-1h i think..
however, they really fucked up the one liner description they made "Area shooting game with Quake 3 Arena engine."

oh, jackoverfull, i see you commented. someone got it working on 10.3.9, though im not sure if they had to do anything. (maybe they had to install openal, im not sure)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:48:18 PM »

ok, thanks. I built it mainly for 10.4, but 10.3.9 is really similar, so it may work. well, it should be possible to make it work on 10.2.8+, but i'll go away tomorrow, so i hadn't the time to do it.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

Inside there is also a script to build the pk3s on UNIX systems, based on Build-pieced.bat, since buildpk3nix.sh is outdated.

buildpk3nix.sh is only useful for development purposes, you won't be able to play on pure servers with the pk3's generated with it, which is why I didn't include the mature-paks portions from build-pieced.bat

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »

buildpk3nix.sh is only useful for development purposes, you won't be able to play on pure servers with the pk3's generated with it, which is why I didn't include the mature-paks portions from build-pieced.bat
i know that, but i sometimes develop maps (ok, one day i'll try to finish one :-P) and this is an operation that is better to do on the svn version (maybe it isn't true now, immediately after a release, but in few months it will be true again)...
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 05:22:18 PM »

ok, let me rephrase that:  the texture pak and the script pak (pak0.pk3) didn't change in build-pieced.bat so I didn't change buildpk3nix.sh so the pk3s made with the script should be fine for mapping on the svn version Smiley

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

ok, so the only thing currently missing in buildpk3nix.sh are the new models/sounds/ecc, right?

thanks for the clarification.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »

Nothing is missing, the pak2-players-mature.pk3 is just a part of pak2-players.pk3

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: