Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Release Crashing  (Read 25247 times)
Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 08, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »

Hey. I just downloaded the latest release of OpenArena and try to run it. The poor thing doesn't even make it to the main menu.
The main console starts up and the game goes fullscreen like it's about to continue running but it then hangs at a white screen and I get a popup from MSVS 2005 asking me if I want it to start debugging. All the icons on my desktop become super-sized and my gamma gets cranked up on the videocard(s) itself.

I was assuming maybe this was because I was running my videocards in SLi so I took one out and tried again. Still happening.

Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
ASUS M2N4-SLi motherboard
two 7300GT cards (current drivers)
2x 1GB Kingston DDR RAM
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

Thoughts?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »

This in windows XP?

Try it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode. Yes, it's weird i know

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »

Yes its in Windows XP Home Edition.

Tried Windows 2000 and 98/ME compatibility. Still crashing.

The error I'm getting mentions a Win32 Handle exception.

EDIT:

I'm downloading the 0.6.0 installer and I'm going to try that .exe to see if it works.
EDIT: Nope. Doesn't work on that either. I've concluded that there's something screwy with my computer then.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:20:26 PM by Caldiar » Logged
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »

shit me!

i dont want to download a 250mg file only to discover it doesnt work when i run it!!
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:01:16 AM »

The executable works, Rancid, you can download it and it will play.

One person reporting a crash on startup does not mean openarena.exe is not working.

Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »

One person reporting a crash on startup does not mean openarena.exe is not working.

Really? That statement didn't hold true for me.

The executable obviously has an issue whether it be a .exe bug issue or a computer-side setting. Either way the .exe isn't running like it should.

You wouldn't happen to have any ideas on how to solve the issue would you? I'd like to get the game running again.

(maybe the game has an issue with 64bit dual core processors?)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »

64-bit nope, but dual core, possible. I've only heard compatibility nightmares coming from those overhyped things

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »

Here is a link to the windows smp executable, I do not have a way to test if this solves your problem, if not try running the non-smp exe with just a single core.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:50:26 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »

oh , okay!

also i was just thinking ..

is this ver 7 being constantly updated and fixed and de-bugged etc?

what i mean is - if i wait say a few weeks - will it have any little problems ironed out?

or is that it - finished - done!?
Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »

64-bit nope, but dual core, possible. I've only heard compatibility nightmares coming from those overhyped things

I hardly think they're overhyped at all. I'm enjoying my dual-core quite a bit and wanted to experiment with one which is why I got it.

@dmn_clown - I tried the exe you linked to me but I'm still getting the same issue. I even tried running it in compatibility mode and no good.
I dont have a spare processor to play with and I don't want to tweak the settings on my processor so it looks like OA is out of the question for me and I'm just going to play vQ3.
Thanks for the help anyways =)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:12:04 PM by Caldiar » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 03:13:20 PM »

what i mean is - if i wait say a few weeks - will it have any little problems ironed out?

or is that it - finished - done!?

done as in released, bug fixes will have to wait for the next release.

kiddailey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »

Just to confirm that this is a real issue and not just related to Windows.  I'm running the OS X build 0.7 version and it also crashes before even making it to the main menu.  The resolution changes to 4:3 aspect, then to full-screen, and then it crashes.  The Application Support directory appears to be created, but it only houses three files (q3config.cfg, q3key, qkey)

I had never heard of this game before, so it's a completely fresh install Smiley  I've tried running the app from my Applications directory and from my Desktop with the same results.  Also tried deleting all the prefs and Application Support with the same results.

I'm running OS X 10.4.9 with 2GB of RAM and 112GB HD on an Intel MacBook Pro.  Not sure if it makes a difference, but my user directory is encrypted.  Here are the details from the crash reporter dialog:

Date/Time:      2007-07-09 19:24:30.119 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.9 (Build 8P2137)
Report Version: 4

Command: ioquake3.ub
Path:    /Applications/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/ioquake3.ub
Parent:  WindowServer [227]

Version: 1.33+oa (1.33+oa)

PID:    3059
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __ZNSt15_List_node_bare6unhookEv
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Model: MacBookPro1,2, BootROM MBP12.0061.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600, ATY,RadeonX1600, PCIe, 256 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x86), 0.1.31.1
Bluetooth: Version 1.7.14f14, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Network Service: Parallels Host-Guest, Ethernet, en2
Network Service: Parallels NAT, Ethernet, en3
Serial ATA Device: ST9120821AS, 111.79 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-846
USB Device: Built-in iSight, Micron, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Bluetooth HCI, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: MacALLY USB One Button Mouse, MacALLY, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, Apple Computer, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:40 PM »

Code:
Symbol not found: __ZNSt15_List_node_bare6unhookEv
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

That is an entirely different issue, you seem to be missing OpenAL.  http://www.openal.org/downloads.html

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

@kiddailey
this is strange: i've tried it on a vanilla installation (but only on ppc) and it worked fine.
i don't think that the encryption can be the problem. try to repair your permissions (you can do that from Disk utility) it is unlikely, but it is possible that something is wrong with them
kiddailey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

@dmn_clown: No, OpenAL is installed as far as I can tell, and the "referenced from" and "expected in" files that the error mentions are both present.  Perhaps this is a version conflict in the framework with the latest OS X version?

Caldiar mentioned "The error I'm getting mentions a Win32 Handle exception." in his message and it sounded like it might be related, which is why I posted.

@jackoverfull: Good idea.  I had tried that and forgot to mention it, sorry.  Didn't make any difference.

[Edit]

System profiler reports that I have OpenAL 1.1 installed on my system.  The OpenAL site you linked to only lists v1.0 for OS X (aside from the non-binary version control copy that you can check out).  Sounds like OS X 10.4.9 might have a newer version than is publicly available Smiley (though it says last modified 4/27/2006)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:20:09 PM by kiddailey » Logged
Caldiar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »

Here's a screenshot of the console I managed to take before the game crashed:

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »

System profiler reports that I have OpenAL 1.1 installed on my system.  The OpenAL site you linked to only lists v1.0 for OS X (aside from the non-binary version control copy that you can check out).  Sounds like OS X 10.4.9 might have a newer version than is publicly available Smiley (though it says last modified 4/27/2006)

There are two versions of OpenAL available for Mac, Ryan "Icculus" Gordan's version (available in the link which you could check out the latest version from cvs, which I believe is beyond 1.0) and apple's version, of which the latest is 1.2, however you should only need the version that the binary was compiled against.

If it is an openal issue you should be able to start the game from the command line with the flag +set s_useopenal 0 and the game should start up normally.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

@dmn_clown: No, OpenAL is installed as far as I can tell, and the "referenced from" and "expected in" files that the error mentions are both present.  Perhaps this is a version conflict in the framework with the latest OS X version?
i doubt it: the game has been compiled on 10.3.9 (i was just returned home to build oa and i prefer to examine the system updates before applying them...it is a long story....).

@jackoverfull: Good idea.  I had tried that and forgot to mention it, sorry.  Didn't make any difference.
OK. well, we had to try....

if you run the game using rosetta it works? (ok, it will be slow, but to see if this is an intel problem or not....) if it crashes take a look to see if the error is the same (it always crashed with rosetta on the only osx86 installation i could get, but it wasn't exaclty a real mac...)

There are two versions of OpenAL available for Mac, Ryan "Icculus" Gordan's version (available in the link which you could check out the latest version from cvs, which I believe is beyond 1.0) and apple's version, of which the latest is 1.2, however you should only need the version that the binary was compiled against.

If it is an openal issue you should be able to start the game from the command line with the flag +set s_useopenal 0 and the game should start up normally.
It is the apple one: i reinstalled os x some months ago and i'm sure that i haven't "played" with openal sources in this period (well, probably never, but i may be wrong on this).
kiddailey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »

A few things:

* I upgraded to 10.4.10 on my Intel and it still failed to launch

* I tried the game on my PPC G5 running 10.4.10 and OpenAL 1.1 and it works without a hitch

* I tried running the game with the command-line without OpenAL as you suggested and it ran fine on my Intel

Seems like there's definitely something wacky between the 1.1 Intel and 1.1 PPC OpenAL.  Thanks for your help.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »

this is odd... i wonder what is exactly the problem with that library and why it shows up only on some intels....
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »

dunno, ask apple.

@ Caldier, that screenshot looks normal.

from my console:
Code:
----------------------
3497 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

Which version of the nvidia drivers are you using?  On my install I had to update to 100.14.09 (not sure which windows driver # this corresponds to) to start ioq3 after rev 1100 and we are using rev 1107.   

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »

dunno, ask apple.

lol.... i should try with something like this

to: Steve Jobs <steve@mac.com>
subject: openal lib

Steve, what the hell you did with that lib?Huh!!!

======

mmh, i don't think he will reply..... :-D

saxus
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »

Two people. I tried today the OA 0.7, and it crashed too. I think it is an SMP problem in Quake engine. The latest original Q3A point release crashed too on my computer. Some friends say, they have stability and performance problem with the Q3A, if they use a multiprocessor based system.

I tried the standard openarena.exe and openarena-smp.exe too. I tried to start only one core with RunOnCPU. It doesn't help.

My computer:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Szervizcsomag 2 build 2600, Multiprocessor Free (32-bit, Hungarian, I'm from Hungary)
Processor: two x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2009 Mhz (Athlon64 X2 3800+)
Memory: 2x1 Gb Kingmax DDR2-800
Chipset: nForce590SLI (Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S4)
Video card: Asus EAX1650Pro (RV530) with 256 Mb DDR2 ram
Video driver: ati2dvag (6.14.10.6698)
DirectX version: 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
OpenGL version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:07:43 PM by saxus » Logged
Neological
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »

If you have a Dual-Core AMD processor, you might have problems with some games if you did not install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer.

Go to this link: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

The download the Optimizer there and install it. This will solve most problems caused with dual-core AMD processors.
Shiv
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »

I checked the OpenArena from a fresh download on my dual core system on windows and it worked peacefully.

-Shiv
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: