Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: About maps imported from Quake 1  (Read 79934 times)
raphael.badawi
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 09, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »

A suggestion has been posted on the french website linuxfr.org ( http://linuxfr.org/2007/07/08/22712.html )

Approximative traduction :
"One of Quake 3 engine's particularity was the fact that maps used Bezier's curves to make round-offs. I believe then, graphical options defined these curves' interpretation into polygons.
Why, on all the screenshots I see, all is squared, like in Quake 1 & 2 ?"

I think that it would be judicious to round and polish the maps imported from Quake I.

Affectuoso,
Raphael.
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:40:49 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to see some Quake3 curves too (I'm a big fan of "the cistern" --DM5--), and I'm trying to see what I can do about that one because the released version disappointed me a little bit (since I'm new here, I'm not planning to talk too loud --- someone could ear ^^)

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:25:05 AM »

What could be improved in the level?

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »

Just like Raphael reported: I was thinking about curves, overall details, that kind of stuff... I personally didn't feel like it was the Cistern when I played OpenArena version (don't get me wrong, I think it's cool to play those old maps again, but I really feel like you wanted to keep it 100% intact while adding a few shaders to justify it's new engine, sadly I'm not sure it really works)
For now, I've remade most of the gates; I created a few new textures and cleaned some brush to avoid clipping and overlapping
(I'm not trying to bring down your work or whatever, I just like to have fun around open projects -- hope you guys are nice on this forum ^^)

EDIT: Added 4 wip screenshots. I'm still working on (especially lightening)... (man, I took me hours to understand where OpenArena was storing its screenshots) hope you like it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:25:27 AM by anyone » Logged

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »

nice work.
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »

Thanks ^^ but I'm not even sure it's gonna be playable in netgame -- anyway, it's working perfectly with bots and I've got an average 95 fps on my Nasa computer : Athlon  XP 2400+ 2Ghz, 512Mo Ram, GeForce4 (yeah… yeah, I know, that's what happen when you cut of credits to sciences and spatial exploration)
(by the way, there *could* be a beta download soon if I can prevent myself to sleep)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »

Unless those textures and shaders are licensed under the GPL v2 we won't be able to distribute your alterations Sad

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »

Unless those textures and shaders are licensed under the GPL v2 we won't be able to distribute your alterations Sad
Fortunately, I did everything by myself ^^

MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 11:53:02 AM »

great work!

I always loved the original q1 maps and it's good to see some facelifting Smiley

"We are all connected"
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:01:24 PM »

Fortunately, I did everything by myself ^^

Cool

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

reminds me very much of unreal's nali temples and such

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

reminds me very much of unreal's nali temples and such
I never played Unreal, but I first wanted to map some kind of lost temple with some of those textures ^^.
Okay, now that I have stolen that topic, it's time for some Pk3…. Right, it's a shame but I haven't caulk'ed the map… and I had to use that cheap "forcesidesvisible" to compile the aas… and it's not exactly done right now… anyway it's working and I need some help to know what areas are already "too much polys". Just put the PK3 in base directory (I've added 3 fake map scripts so DM5-Remake appears on skirmish).

And thanks for the feedbacks ^^

DM5-remake (7.4mb)

("brwnwater" and "portal_fog" are modified versions of OpenArena's texture, everything else is from scratch)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 03:45:09 PM »

what about the sounds?

drops.wav and waterfall.wav?

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

homemade too (waterfall is basicly just whitenoise and drops are bunch of water drops with a tiny reverb, nothing fancy)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »

it has too much being rendered in some spots, but looks really good.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »

I could probably make good waterfall and drip sounds too (with similar mixing techniques behind the fire sounds), but not at the moment.

Dm3 could be reworked too, right now it's a random eyesore

e4m3 and e1m2 would be awesome

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »

it has too much being rendered in some spots, but looks really good.
I stronlgy believe you must be talking about the west hallway (where most of the bricks wall are off). I'm trying to fix that in some very lame way (naaaa, I'm confident, it should work). If you've got specific places in mind, tell me.

I could probably make good waterfall and drip sounds too (with similar mixing techniques behind the fire sounds), but not at the moment.
Dm3 could be reworked too, right now it's a random eyesore
e4m3 and e1m2 would be awesome
Ok, I let you do the sounds ^^ (it nearly killed me)
(I could have a look around these maps --I don't remember 'em)

Edit: Ho yeah... I remember now... John Romero's deathmatch...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:40:34 PM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 05:47:11 PM »

I stronlgy believe you must be talking about the west hallway (where most of the bricks wall are off). I'm trying to fix that in some very lame way (naaaa, I'm confident, it should work). If you've got specific places in mind, tell me.

it just seems like the entire cistern is being rendered in places where it shouldn't be, maybe adding hint brushes in various places will stop it from being rendered when it isn't visible.

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »

Yikes ! You're right, I should have checked that out first... *Sigh*I wish I wouldn't have to come to these radical and uncivilized manners, but I get my VIS in some deadly battle royal, remember me of [insert lame joke about Vietnam trauma here]. Anyway, it looks like half a victory (no aas for now, fast light, map included)
DM5-remake (8mb)

I'm not a master when it comes to use those hint brushes.
EDIT: wow... dm3 is really messy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:05:21 AM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »

I'm not a master when it comes to use those hint brushes.
EDIT: wow... dm3 is really messy

The r_speeds did drop a little Smiley

There are also a few cracks Sad  (see attached screenshot)

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

There are also a few cracks Sad
A few ?! You mean A LOT ! I think 50% of the arches are bad. Don't even ask me why because it's  weird. I checked a thousand time (ok, just seven time to be honest) how to fix that. But it seems that when one side is right, the other is automatically wrong.
(I've got to find a way to make the hint brushes to work, if you've got any good tutorial, I would be very thankful -- most I've seen says : "it's easy... really... and it's wonderful... look at these portals ! Gotta go, now your on your own")

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »

I have a talent for understatement Wink

hint tut: http://www.wemakemaps.com/hintbrushes.htm

q3map2 wiki: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2 (some of the bsp compile flags may fix the cracks)

Also a suggestion on your fire shader:
Code:
textures/acc_dm5/flame
{
qer_editorimage textures/acc_dm5/flame.tga
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm nolightmap
cull none
        q3map_flare flareShader-twilightflare
{
map textures/acc_dm5/flame.tga
tcMod Scroll 1 0
blendFunc blend
}
{
map textures/acc_dm5/flame.tga
blendFunc blend
tcMod Scroll -.6 0
rgbGen wave sin 2 0 .1 1.5
}
}

Add that line, and recompile with -flares in the bsp stage of your compilation and your torches will have flares Smiley

valid flares are:
Code:
dflareShader
flareShader
sun
flareShader-glow
flareShader-wide
textures/sfx/flameflare
textures/flares/lava
flareShader-lava
flareShader-portal
flareShader-twilightflare
flareShader-subtle

experiment until you find one that you like Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »

i've only seen just flareShader working though :/

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »

flareShader-twilightflare is used in pvomit and flareShader-subtle was used in e7trimlight (shouse). :-$

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »

Thanks so so much for the manual... (ok, you guess right, there's a "but")
I really got troubles to make it work. I think it's a little better than before, but VIS still seems to wanna draw everything around (hope it'll worth it).
EDIT: (yeah, I don't like double posting) I'm working on new textures, DM3 shapes and brush cleaning, I think some elements should be cleaned (one of the many soft word for "removed" ie. "Ho, sorry little Dorothy but the dog have been cleaned"), turned into details or modified in order to prevent the player bumping against them all the time (I never enjoyed DM3 but now I can see why ^^)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:57:02 AM by anyone » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: