Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: About maps imported from Quake 1  (Read 80426 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »

that looks much better, unsure about the broken windows there though

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

Thanks a lot.
For the windows, I'm not sure neither but I found the effect cool so I put it there in wait to see what to do with that Cheesy
I've been working a little more around since and I'm somewhat confident... meanwhile I also fixed a small bug with portails in DM3 and I'm still trying to control the vis processing. It's not easy...

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »

You do have the source files for these textures, right?  (For complete GNU GPLv2 compatibility)

Single layer images like your icons can be sourceless, but for multi-layered complex textures you should save a psd (Photo Shop), xcf (The GIMP), px (Pixel), or whatever Paint Shop Pro and Corel's Photo Paint use as a layered image format, before you merge the visible layers to make the finished jpeg or targa.

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »

Sure, I'll put them all in a RAR on my website when I'm done with DM3 and DM5.

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »

No RAR's please, there are too many problems with the free tools corrupting the files while decompressing them due to the patents involved, tar.bz2 should be fine (though not as fun to say as rar Wink) and is handled by 7zip. 

Also, I like the broken windows, but not sure if it works there, due to the curve which kinda throws what people will expect off (unless the glass is also curved).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:14:29 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

(Then 7zip format would be ok, I guess ?)
Here are two screens of the windows if you wonder how it's looking like for now...
I'm planning to add new textures for the walls (it's hard enough to find your way through this level so a few landmark would be helpful I think)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »

I think that works.  I haven't had or heard of any issues with corrupted 7zips, so that format should be fine Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »

is that a terragen skybox :/

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 04:05:16 AM »

It's indeed a terragen skybox, but I can replace it if you wish to...

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 05:16:36 AM »

The free version of terragen has a license clause that prevents commercial use of the output, this also prevents licensing under the GPLv2 which does allow commercial resale.

Some texture creation programs also have stupid clauses that prevent GPL licensing as well Sad Hopefully you aren't using any of those.  Smiley

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 02:45:26 AM »

That DM5 remake is a instant hit guaranteed! You really capture a bit of the original grungy/dirty quake feel to the map. Nice touch with roots creeping through plates of stone and smart idea with the waterfalls. Knowing that it's still under construction I wanted to get a feel of the level so put my helmet on and took it for a testride. It's a bliss to jump about in there, I love the feel to it, brings memories of q1 back Smiley
However, something is not right with one of the archways and the teleporter exit. The exit occurs to far out (but still closer than oa_dm5). Teleporter exits are almost out in the corridor and nowhere close to the teleporter Smiley In the oa_dm5 the height of the arch and the exit point goes hand in hand, just as in the original DM5. But in the remake it could easily become an annoyance for players who are used to using tricks (like in this case a teleport jump). Hard to explain so I attached two demos. First the oa_dm5 which works the way it should, then the remake with the jump that does not work as it should. Maybe that helps? Smiley

Another thing that seems problematic is leaving the water and jumping up to quad, maybe fill the pool with a few more litres of water? Smiley

Idiot proof guide follows: For the demos to work you need oa_dm5 and dm5-remake in your /baseoa folder and unzip the files oa_dm5_jumps.dm_68 and remake_dm5_jumps.dm_68 to your /baseoa/demos folder. Then simply type /demo [demo-name] in the console.

[edit: spelling like a muppet]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:12:37 AM by w1zrd » Logged

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 05:31:19 AM »

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks and bug reports man ^^
Teleporter exits are almost out in the corridor and nowhere close to the teleporter
I've fixed the teleporter cameras already but haven't touched the exit points yet.

Another thing that seems problematic is leaving the water and jumping up to quad.
I noticed this too, and I really don't know why it happened (since the problem never appeared in early tests) but I'm going to check that to.
(Biggest problem is still polycount, but somehow oa_dm5 got the same visibility problem, I don't know how am I going to patch that up :/ -- I'm not planning to add extra details until it's not fixed)
Thanks for the demos (and the explanations ^^), I'll have a look right now.
(A beta release of DM3 remake may show up soon)

EDIT: Arch height raised, teleporter exits are closer to teleport devices and quad balcony is easier to reach now (that was a HINT brush' fault ?!!!), adding fire sound for torchs
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:16:24 AM by anyone » Logged

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »

I don't like double posting but I have a good excuse this time: I've changed my appearance with a neat-looking avatar !!! haaa just love her…

ho hold on ! I've got an even better excuse:

The Cistern  -Tim Willits- (8.1Mo)
The Abandoned Base -John Romero- (8.2 Mo)
Dm3 should require textures changes (more walls, adjustments to computers, new clouds, new grass, another teleport destpad and decals), lightening enhancement, vis control and some more clip brushes (bot support included for both maps)

(These are still wip but I hope you'll like them anyway)
(DM5 include a two fake arenas script so you can test in skirmish if you download both pk3)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:00:33 PM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20:33 PM »

dm3 is too "clean" I would expect an abandoned base to be more dirty and have more holes in the wall, but you did say that the textures would be redone... Smiley

Also you've taken away one of the "trick" jumps, it should be possible to grab the quad move towards the broken window and then jump across the divide along the wall and then grab the invis in less than 1 second, with your placement of the dividing wall this is now impossible. Sad

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »

Also you've taken away one of the "trick" jumps, it should be possible to grab the quad move towards the broken window and then jump across the divide along the wall and then grab the invis in less than 1 second, with your placement of the dividing wall this is now impossible. Sad
If you can make me a demo on the oa map, I'll try to fix that.

EDIT :
- Ok, get it… I don't like the idea, it think it's unfair to beginners and there are too many power ups around that place but ho well… jump trick fixed.
- I found a nonsolid box that should be solid in computer area (doesn't prevent the player to reach mega heath but fixed anyway)
- Everybody get the **** out of the pool now (bot's unreasonable behaviour) fixed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:43:16 AM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

The easier that jump is to accomplish, the more beginners will be able to make it, the more "fair" the game will be.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:19:31 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

The easier that jump is to accomplish, the more beginners will be able to make it, the more "fair" the game will be.
And also as a matter of fact, that jump was possible already in Q1, a bit harder than in oa_dm3, but still possible.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »

I never said that I removed that jump trick on purpose because I think it's not fair, it happened when I changed the brushes to curves but don't worry, it's back (and because both of you wants to see that jump trick back as soon as possible, here's the fixed BSP -- new textures are still incomplete/wip at the moment) any other bugs/request are welcome
The Abandoned Base -John Romero- (9 Mo)

Edit: wow, now that I read my post with that (awesome but yet bossy) avatar sitting on the left, I feel like I was moaning, but it's not the case (sorry if it sounds like) ^^
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:53:26 PM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »

Actually I just figured that you didn't know about the jump, no biggy Smiley

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »

Change log :
-   Texture revision (new skybox, new water, new grass, cracks on walls and floor, computer screen blending, added some decals)
-   Added lots of clip walls (won't be stuck by the door trim in the basin anymore)
-   Eating more fruits because it's good for your health
-   Few more details added and sky lightening modified
The Abandoned Base (11 Mo)
(I may need help for the skybox: if someone can make Darkplaces run with a very high resolution -height higher than 1024-, that would be lovely to capture the skybox for me so I could resize it to 512)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:57:16 AM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2007, 07:58:33 PM »

much better Smiley

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »

Thanks ^^

Added details, added two spawn points, rewritten .arena file, improved sky, new lightening, pk3 size reduced from 11Mo to 6.4Mo…
DM3: The Abandoned Base

Complains, suggestions, bug reports and such are welcomes Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2007, 11:29:23 AM »

The broken windows aren't lit. Might as well remove them.

I'm not sure about the use of non-Free fonts in maps for the text. Try Deja Vu Sans or Freesans.

I'm unsure about the skybox either. I liked the scrolling sky better.

If you make that skybox you modeled into an actual md3 to compile into the map in a secret skyroom you could have scrolling sky with it again, plus the building geometry won't be so blurry.

The bridge water area could use better lighting though. Those small pointlights look ugly
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:33:06 AM by leilol » Logged

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »

The broken windows aren't lit. Might as well remove them.
Ok, these are out

I'm not sure about the use of non-Free fonts in maps for the text. Try Deja Vu Sans or Freesans.
The font used is Liberation

I'm unsure about the skybox either. I liked the scrolling sky better.
Some details would help me (is it the color or just the fx ?)

If you make that skybox you modeled into an actual md3 to compile into the map in a secret skyroom you could have scrolling sky with it again, plus the building geometry won't be so blurry.
I can use real brushes instead of the buildings on the skybox, but I cannot make it MD3 :/ (I've got to check how it would look like with the ground too) (after all that part of the map is completely empty)

The bridge water area could use better lighting though. Those small pointlights look ugly
Ok, I'll try to smooth the light there.

Thanks for the reply ^^
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:46:30 AM by anyone » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2007, 11:56:21 AM »

cool, i didn't know about liberation. thanks Smiley

You can directly map the geometry there yeah but I thought md3 would be better for r_speeds.

The level looks really nice with bloom.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: