Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPLv3 Last Call Draft released  (Read 8885 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« on: June 04, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »

http://gplv3.fsf.org/gpl-draft-2007-05-31.html

With a convincing essay by RMS:  http://gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html

Concerns about the license?  Better let the FSF know about them so they can be addressed.

Kylratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:03:29 AM »

Stallman is slowly becoming more and more of a douchebag. GPLv3 is a move in the wrong direction, imo. Whether DRM is "evil" or not, the whole open source movement shouldn't be about restricting technology - even technology that, itself, exists to restrict.

Torvalds has been right all along. K.I.S.S.

-- Roy 'Kylratix' Laurie
http://www.binarycult.com
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:24:08 AM »

Depends on your definition of douche bag, frankly I have yet to see RMS call anyone a f*ing moron for disagreeing with him as Linus has repeatedly.

WRT GPLv3, people have completely forgotten SCO v Autozone and its legal ramifications in the USA (e.g. end users can now be sued for using "infringing" software).  With Microsoft spreading its F.U.D. about the 235 patents that GNU/Linux supossedly infringes on, those patent protections are a good thing and completely vague to non-existent in v2. 

Also of note:  Microsoft has distanced itself from offering its patent protections to GPLv3 software, already re-writing its deal with Linspire to no longer include GPLv3 software and forcing Linspire to change their license to only cover one install.

AND

Linus hasn't said that the kernel will never go GPLv3, only that there is not a good reason to relicense, if Sun relicenses Open Solaris under the GPLv3 (they have said they intend to) he will relicense the kernel under v3 so that zfs can be included.  Though if Open Solaris is released under the v3 I think more people will use that kernel than the Linux kernel for stability and features.  Solaris's "sandboxes" are simply awesome.

Kylratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 03:58:27 PM »

Torvalds is pompous, certainly, but not a douchebag. I have problems lately with Stallman more-or-less claiming the entire Linux movement as his own. Which is partially why my donations to the EFF eventually stopped. It's just "Linux", imo.

Anyone can be sued. That doesn't necessarily mean that we need all of the v3's provisions. SCO isn't making much ground legally. It's basically just "sue you and prolongue the case as long as possible". Germany and Poland already told them to GTFO.

I like all of the new changes -except- the DRM technology restrictions. Personally, I'm anti-patent law, and DRM tech is a free-market way of protecting content. I would much rather the corporations use DRM than subsidize their copy protection on the taxpayer's dollar with patent law and enforcement. Of course, currently, DMCA legislation and DRM technology go hand-in-hand. I think that the two are separate issues though. DRM, solely as a technology, is pro-free market. I think that preventing DRM is, in effect, promoting lobbying for more rigorous IP legislation as a workaround. That is why I cannot support the v3.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 04:14:55 PM by Kylratix » Logged

-- Roy 'Kylratix' Laurie
http://www.binarycult.com
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »

I think that preventing DRM is, in effect, promoting lobbying for more rigorous IP legislation as a workaround. That is why I cannot support the v3.

Except there is nothing that restricts the use of DRM in v3, the only restriction is that a person must be provided with the tools to make corrections if necessary.

The problem with patents may be changing, however, as some software patents have recently been thrown out and the patent office was given a directive to review many of the patents.

tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »

I hate the Political stuff. Stallman, win lose or draw has *always* been consistent. He's one of the few things that is in the Free software world. He always insisted on GNU/Linux. Saying otherwise is simply not true.

Dick's only mistake was thinking he is bigger than the License, Linus now thinks he's bigger than the Linux.

Since Linus' interest is in server/embedded I'm less interested in Linux. I'm more interested in the Desktop.

I think Stallmans a bit Soft, he should insist its called GNU.

Choosing a license for a enigmatic leader is all well and good, but I'd hope rational people choose the license for what it offers them.

The bottom line is I like copyleft. I understand copyleft....and GPL3 is a better copyleft license. Linus' main contention with GPL3(ignoring any spirit nonsense) is the embedded nonsense...something personally I am not interested in. Because I'm a *User*.

I love the idea of OpenArena because I hate seeing all that content *die*. *Points in the direction of 1000 quake levels*

Anyhow the bottom line is for a project like OpenArena I would hate not to...say be able to update between 0.6 to 0.7 because the content is tied to hardware, or not be able to use the content on a new version of ioquake that adds new lighting and other effects, but its not *my* call and every Developer should choose the license best for them.

...but what do I know, I'd choose a license for what the License offers me, even Linus does that.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »

Choosing a license for a enigmatic leader is all well and good, but I'd hope rational people choose the license for what it offers them.

Agreed, unfortunately most people don't bother reading licenses and could care less about the freedoms granted or restricted by said licenses, they only care about the free beer. 

This project, however, is stuck on v2 without the clarifications and without the added protections for users until/unless upstream decides to relicense.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: