Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Ping issues  (Read 12544 times)
Invader
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 09, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »

I just updated from OA 0.6.0 to OA 0.7.0 (binary client for Linux). But I have noticed, that every server I go into, I'm getting a ping like 220, 230, etc; all very high pings. I dident get this in OA 0.6.0, I used to have like 120, 110.

So I am wondering whats the problem and if anyone is having similar issues?

Other Info:
Arch Linux; 1.8 Ghz; ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility;

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:08:45 PM by Invader » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »

Could it be that the servers that have upgraded are further away and/or experiencing more traffic than usual?  I've actually noticed my ping go down...

Invader
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:58 AM »

No I dont think the issue is the distance that I am away from the server because on K-Play in 0.6.0 I had 110 ping, now when I play there I have 220+ ping.

The issue could be traffic I suppose but I have went into servers with only 3-5 people in it and still have a horrid ping.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »

Go to Setup > System > Network.

And change the connection type to suit.

I noticed that mine some how got reset back to the 33.3K rate, and I was getting between 100 - 200 ping.

Changing it to Cable/XDSL brought my ping down to 15.
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »

Maybe tweaked ur nettsettings before? Btw the scorebord ping is not the real and actual ping ;-)

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
Invader
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »

Go to Setup > System > Network.

And change the connection type to suit.

I noticed that mine some how got reset back to the 33.3K rate, and I was getting between 100 - 200 ping.

Changing it to Cable/XDSL brought my ping down to 15.

Ah yes mine got reset too, that seemed to fix it, I get about 150/160 now, not the best ping out there but its perfect for me Smiley thanks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:09:54 PM by Invader » Logged
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:07:18 AM »

You can change your cl_maxpackets, rate and snaps to improve the netsettings. What numbers you need depends on the server, your isp and your own preference. This is a quote straight from John Carmack about netsettings:

There are a few tuning variables for people trying to optimize their connection: The most important one is rate, which is what the connection speed option in the menu sets. We are fairly conservative with the values we set for the given modem speeds: 2500 for 28.alien 3000 for 33, and 3500 for 56k. You may actually be connecting faster than that, and modem compression may be buying you something, so you might get a better play experience by increasing the values slightly. If you connect at 50000 bps, try a rate of 5000, etc. I err on the conservative side, because too low of a rate will only make the movement of other things in the world choppy, while too high of a rate can cause huge amounts of lag. Note that the optimal rate will be somewhat lower than a rate for QW or Q2, because I now include the UDP packet header length in the bandwidth estimate. You can ask for a different number of snapshots by changing the snaps variable, but there isn't a lot of benefit to that. Dedicated servers run at 40hz, so stick to divisors of that: 40, 20 (default), 10. A snaps of 40 will usually just cause you to hit your rate limit a lot faster. It may be useful for tuning rate, if nothing else. You can adjust the local timing point with cg_timenudge <value>, which effectively adds local lag to try to make sure you interpolate instead of extrapolate. If you really want to play on a server that is dropping a ton of packets, a timenudge of 100 or so might make the game smoother.

[edit: I can't spell Smiley]

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: