Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA7 vs OA6  (Read 16937 times)
I_cheat
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

i don't cheat. using an aimbot is cheating? ;)

« on: July 13, 2007, 05:18:33 PM »

I have decided: I like better oa6 then oa7.
OA7 looks somehow...childish. it looks and also behaves strange.
The voices are strange and hard to understand, the big-fat-ass-spider-lady looks at least stupid, while my model, angeliss or so, looks exactly like a whore. At least it's human Wink.
Hey, i don't wanna play cartoons! Seriously, Disney's Tarzan looks more natural then OA7.
also the ctf rules have changed. killing ya team leads to chaos and lose-lose games. I know and I agree: in the real world it is normal to also kill ya m8s while killing enemies, but, guys, this is a game!
Please, if you like real world give me a real gun with real aiming mechanisms. It would spare a lot of lifes.
I'm seriously thinking of gettin' back to oa6.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »

troll.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »

The voices are strange and hard to understand, the big-fat-ass-spider-lady looks at least stupid, while my model, angeliss or so, looks exactly like a whore.
then delete pak2-players-mature.pk3
also the ctf rules have changed. killing ya team leads to chaos and lose-lose games.
then turn off friendly fire

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
rancid punx
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 05:49:36 AM »

tbh with all the problems other people are having im not sure whether to bother getting ver.7

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 10:15:49 AM »

i don't wanna play cartoons!
You must certainly be fan of TC:E ^^

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »

tbh with all the problems other people are having im not sure whether to bother getting ver.7

Yeah, a lot of hardware problems that probably don't exist on your computer are a good reason to not download the game. </sarcasm> can you stop trolling?

MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »

I've played OA 0.7 a bit today and I have to say from the players perspective I think it's the best version ever!

Quake3 is a very (VERY) mature engine and since OA uses this engine (slightly modified by icculus) there can't be that much problem with the game itself.

"We are all connected"
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »

Personally I felt 0.7 to be more polished off then 0.6. And more mature in that respect.

Baring in mind it is 0.7 and so guaranteed not to be perfect.

The maps are playable, well balanced gameplay & textures are displayed properly.
A wide selection of characters to choose from, all uniquely different.

Its coming along nicely. Smiley
CorteX
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 07:19:23 AM »

Id have to agree with Kit..
Also, if you don't like some models why don't you just force a model?
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »

I agree with kit89 that this new version is more mature and contains far more material, approaching to a real final product, but I don't think it was well polished, and the reason is simple: while being busy to add as much material as they could, dev couldn't test completely this release, because more you add more you must test and because there wasn't any open beta they didn't have enough feedback.

Now if they add some patches to correct the bugs submitted it would be perfect, but for the moment even if I continue to play with 0.7 to see if I can discover anymore bugs, I think its better to play with a version with less functions and materials but without any real bad bug killing the gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:34:13 AM by GrosBedo » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »

That's why we need people willing to play test with the svn Smiley

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:37:09 AM »

Tell me how and I will definately =)
baconfish
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »

I have to agree that 0.6 was better. Aside from the "whoops, this server hasn't upgraded yet!" annoyances, I think the biggest improvement was Grism. And even then, the blue/red skins look like ass (the skin, specifically). It's nice that somebody took the time to fix oa_bases3, but visually the new version is terrible.
Other reasons made me stop playing, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details. It's more of a personal preference than what does/doesn't work.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »

In 0.7.0 we have been blessed with two-halves of a dozen new characters like titties-gone-wild angelyss, who-can-rail-me archana and liz - the crouching snail but as implied earlier, use cg_forcemodels 1 for a better gameplay, if you intend to play a bit more serious. I have to agree with you that some of the characters are a bit out of my taste and my liking, but sarge is still there, and so is forcemodels. What is brilliant in OA, not only in 0.6 or 0.7 but in general, is the way you can change the looks of the game to fit your liking. You don't want all the fancy flashy fps-sucking blooming effects? Fine then, /r_bloom 0 does the trick. You don't want to see all the extravaganza light from your rockets? Ok, then turn off dynamic lightning, and while you're at it, turn on the noProjectileTrail to get more visual feel. You can configure your settings with /r_picmip 10 if you don't want the flashy stuff...but as for the sounds then? If you don't want to force models, then get some .md3 file with your own voice recorded while taking a c**p on the none senseouse as your new jump sound, that would certainly make you laugh (and prevent you jumping obsessively).

My settings?
r_picmip 6
r_bloom 0
cg_forcemodels 1
and /NoSpidersAllowed 1

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

Head Admin On European OA 0.7.0 (24/7) Server

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 10:10:10 AM »

Hi, i think OA7 is better than OA6. More maps and new great models.

If you have problem with our server - fell free to mail me (sa-mp@szybki-serwer.pl)
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »

Tell me how and I will definately =)

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=500.0

I think we should start a tutorial on the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Subversion]wiki

"We are all connected"
Redshirt
Darwin Award: Posting warez on Free Software forums while also running a certain very license-and-copyright infringing "GPL" game.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 04:29:59 AM »

I think 0.7.0 is the tightest release yet.. Server problems could easialy be overcome simply by changing up the port or the protocol number inbetween versions.. you could alternate between current port/protocol each version (if that makes sense) without breaking compatability with existing 0.x. clients..

I'm sure that made no sense.. but this is by far the best version yet.  Not without it's problems, but there are a lot of good folks helping out with the project, I'm sure all of the big issues will be dealt with.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 05:18:02 AM »

That makes sense.

Code:
@@ -226,7 +226,7 @@
 ==============================================================
 */

-#define PROTOCOL_VERSION 68
+#define PROTOCOL_VERSION 69
 // 1.31 - 67