Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: loading models into radiant  (Read 7207 times)
hyp3rfocus
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »

hi.
i've got radiant running nicely. the files paths seem to be set up ok because i can access the textures that are stored in the pk3s, apply them to brushwork, compile them and run them in the game without any problems.

my difficulty is getting models into radiant. i've made some ase models, packed them into pk3s, dropped them into baseoa and tried to get them into blender but i don't seem to be able to find them. i've been rightclicking, selecting misc > misc_model but it just opens up a file browser instead of showing me what's available in the pk3s. am i doing something wrong here?

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »

In short your not doing anything wrong. Models work slightly different from textures.

You need to extract them into the baseoa directory. From there you can use them in GtkRadaint. When releasing the map, make sure the models are in the .pk3.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:08:48 PM »

i put the ase models in openarena/baseoa, loaded them into radiant, used them in the map and saved the map file. i've opened the map file in a text editor and the relevant line reads...

"model" "left.ase"

...since the ase models in the pk3s are in models/mapobjects should i edit the .map file so that the line reads...

"model" "models/mapobjects/left.ase"

...and reload it into radiant?

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »

i put the ase models in openarena/baseoa, loaded them into radiant, used them in the map and saved the map file. i've opened the map file in a text editor and the relevant line reads...

"model" "left.ase"

...since the ase models in the pk3s are in models/mapobjects should i edit the .map file so that the line reads...

"model" "models/mapobjects/left.ase"

...and reload it into radiant?
"everything in it's right place"
In a very simple way, Pk3 files contain all files and directories supposed to be in your base directory (baseoa), after all, that's where those Pk3 files are. The models should be stored in "models/mapmodels/" inside that "baseoa" folder. So create a "models" folder in "baseoa" and a "mapmodels" directory in "models". Very often, models are stored into another folder inside "mapmodels" (so it is also possible to add skins or model's variations there).
When you load GTKRadiant and put a "misc_model" entity in your map, you can choose the model path with the "model" button (or adding the "model" key and the "path" value). The model button will browse your baseoa/models/mapmodels directory automatically (on your drive, Radiant won't let you explore what's in Pk3 ressources files). You'll just have to select your file from there.
There shouldn't be any need to change anything with txt editors.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:54:03 PM by anyone » Logged

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

thanks for the advice guys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: