Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Updater  (Read 8637 times)
SolidusRegime
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 01, 2007, 01:35:01 AM »

I think it would be interesting if the game could have an auto-updater. Which would save us dial-up users from having to download the game each time you release a new version.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »

I think it would be interesting if the game could have an auto-updater. Which would save us dial-up users from having to download the game each time you release a new version.

Glad to see a volunteer. Smiley Good luck on setting that up. May I suggest you have it separate from OA, this way the update program could be used for multiple programs/projects and update them individually.

I might make a Java program that deals with patching up programs automatically...
SolidusRegime
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:39:54 AM »

I was just wondering if any of the scripts released would modify the .exe that is produced. I would possibly use a byte by byte patcher to run once the downloadNetThing() function is completed.

I will be coding this in Lingo, which is used in all Adobe Director Projectors.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:03:57 AM »

fromhell has been dealing with a byte by byte patcher. If I can remember there will be a small patch released soon. To fix alot of the bugs in 0.7.0.

However there isn't a program(that I know) yet that will update OA or any other game automatically, for all O/S's.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »

You do realize that had this feature been in place in 0.6 you still would have had to download over 150 M of new material.

SolidusRegime
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »

No you wouldn't A byte by byte pactcher can compress the changed strings and images into something less then 20 MB. Also, this Auto-Updater will make it more userfriendly and could possibly be run to check for any new updates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: